advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

Over the last few weeks, my mind has gone:

Canon R3 and three RF lenses, to

R3 and EF adapter, to

5DR S, to

Sod it, I think I’ll buy a new lappy and stick with my 5D3.

No idea where my mind will go next!

Over the last few weeks, my mind has gone:

Canon R3 and three RF lenses, to...
No idea where my mind will go next!

Hire one from hire a camera for a day and then...

'Canon’s R3 is a total game-changer for both sports and willdlife, stills and video. The fact-sheet is eye watering, but highlights include a stacked full-frame sensor, 30fps burst shooting, 4K 120 frames 10 bit uncropped video and a 5.7 million dot electronic viewfinder. If that wasn’t enough, this camera not only features subject tracking for people, animals and vehicles, but you can control the focus point just by looking at it with your eye, thanks to Canon’s incredible Eye Control AF. The R3 expands Canon’s EOS R line spectacularly and shows Canon’s continued commitment to sports shooters following on from the ever-popular EOS-1D X series.'

Hire one from hire a camera for a day and then...

'Canon’s R3 is a total game-changer for both sports and willdlife, stills and video. The fact-sheet is eye watering, but highlights include a stacked full-frame sensor, 30fps burst shooting, 4K 120 frames 10 bit uncropped video and a 5.7 million dot electronic viewfinder. If that wasn’t enough, this camera not only features subject tracking for people, animals and vehicles, but you can control the focus point just by looking at it with your eye, thanks to Canon’s incredible Eye Control AF. The R3 expands Canon’s EOS R line spectacularly and shows Canon’s continued commitment to sports shooters following on from the ever-popular EOS-1D X series.'
Yep, I’ve read and read, and have watched videos, and have read forums for first hand experiences.

But… will I take better photos?
I don’t go to air shows anymore, and if I did, I wouldn’t take my camera as I’d want it to be for me, there and then. I’m going to the Goodwood FoS in July, but probably won’t be taking anything other than my iPhone. There’ll be a few thousand other people with cameras, some with better access to the cars and track, so I’ll just enjoy the day and the sounds.
I like doing landscape photography. I don’t think the R3 brings anything to that party.
Can I warrant the spend with the use I’ll give it? I can afford it, but really, it’ll never pay for itself with sales.

And I still want one :D

Yep, I’ve read and read, and have watched videos, and have read forums for first hand experiences.

But… will I take better photos?

Yes you will if the subject is moving as the AF is unbelievable but for stills, stick with the 5D3 for now, or buy a used 5D IV. I was blown away with how good that was.
Just bear in mind the support availability (parts etc) in the unlikely event of a failure

And I still want one :D

I resisted for a year! It was futile...

Yes you will if the subject is moving as the AF is unbelievable but for stills, stick with the 5D3 for now, or buy a used 5D IV. I was blown away with how good that was.
Just bear in mind the support availability (parts etc) in the unlikely event of a failure

I resisted for a year! It was futile...
My 5D3 is coming up for nine years old now, and it’s like an old friend. My thinking is that a 5DS R would at least bring sharper images and more than double the pixels. But… does anyone ‘need’ 50mp in practice?
If my 5D3 dies, I’ll move on. If I buy a used 5D4 or 5DS R and it dies, I’ll not care too much either.

I’ll make my mind up one day!

Perhaps you just fancy a change. Doesn't have to be better.

Maybe. I’m always cautious before I buy, trying to convince myself that the purchase makes sense, for me. I also try to avoid becoming a collector!

My man-logic says that if I bought a more sensible R5, I’d buy a battery grip for it anyway, this chewing into the supposed saving, and I’d still want the R3!

The R3 is available from Panamoz, with control ring adapter, for £4290. The R5 is £2930, but would need the grip, at £380, so £3310. So a bag of sand more for the camera that’ll make me far more attractive to all, that also fits my hands better. See… I’m convincing myself to buy it again!

I must be sadistic. I enjoy others' suffering.
I've sold most of my Canon kit and bought some old Sony Alpha, just for the auto-focus Zeiss lenses.

Maybe. I’m always cautious before I buy, trying to convince myself that the purchase makes sense, for me. I also try to avoid becoming a collector!

My man-logic says that if I bought a more sensible R5, I’d buy a battery grip for it anyway, this chewing into the supposed saving, and I’d still want the R3!

The R3 is available from Panamoz, with control ring adapter, for £4290. The R5 is £2930, but would need the grip, at £380, so £3310. So a bag of sand more for the camera that’ll make me far more attractive to all, that also fits my hands better. See… I’m convincing myself to buy it again!

I'm in the same position, kept reading and pricing up R3 or a R5 with a long lens to replace my 5D3.....but can I justify the spend for something I would only use for wildlife......I am sticking for the moment

Good man!

I was the same with the R5 size, needed a grip. The other 'problem' with the R5 for me is the massive file size.

I just purchased an almost complete darkroom , De Vere 504 with all sizes of neg carriers from 35mm up to 5x4 ,a 5 foot long sink with plumbing , 3 sizes of print trays , Print washer , Print dryer , lots of other DR items ,Jugs and measures , About 15 boxes of paper all different sizes a good few not even opened . Focus finder , Film clips , 2 safe lights.Thermometer's, I wasn't aware of the size of it :eek: or the weight at 68Kgs , with some ingenuity I did get it upstairs all on my lonesome :cool:.

Last edited:
The best thing about new cameras is the superior iso performance.

My D800 6400
My D850 16000

Pete

advertisement

Back