advertisement

The PFM Environment thread

More climate records fall in world's warmest February​

Last month was the world's warmest February in modern times, the EU's climate service says, extending the run of monthly records to nine in a row.
Each month since June 2023 has seen new temperature highs for the time of year.
The world's sea surface is at its hottest on record, while Antarctic sea-ice has again reached extreme lows.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68428348

Doctors have warned of potentially life-threatening effects from plastic pollution after finding a substantially raised risk of stroke, heart attack and earlier death in people whose blood vessels were contaminated with microscopic plastics.

Researchers in Naples examined fatty plaques removed from the blood vessels of patients with arterial disease and found that more than half had deposits contaminated with tiny particles of polyethylene or polyvinyl chloride (PVC).

Those whose plaques contained microplastics or nanoplastics were nearly five times more likely to suffer a stroke, heart attack or death from any cause over the following 34 months, compared with those whose plaques were free from plastic contamination.

Estimates indicate that each of us consume up to 5 grams of microplastics with our food every week. That is as much as one credit card. It's that serious. At the moment there's no effective way of removing micro and nanoplastics, but there are faint hopes from ongoing research.

It’s a benefit of Brexit – but only if you’re a manufacturer or distributor of toxic chemicals. For the rest of us, it’s another load we have to carry on behalf of the shysters and corner-cutters who lobbied for the UK to leave the EU.

I put this post in amonst the aruguments in the 'Bitcoin' thread about whether it was the new 'gold' or not and was amazed that nobody batted an eye. The power required to fund it is to me shocking and only set to grow exponentially. And for what? Of course there is also the exponential increases in power requirments for our increasing hunger for AI too. Coupled with the push to EVs I wonder where all this power is going to come from?

One of the most interesting things I've read recently about BitCoin is the absurd amounts of power it consumes. Research by Alex DeVries, founder of the Digiconomist, one bitcoin transaction uses as much power as the the average American household in a day!

Despite the increased attention over the past year...

Water companies in England have faced a barrage of criticism as data revealed raw sewage was discharged for more than 3.6m hours into rivers and seas last year in a 105% increase on the previous 12 months.

The scale of the discharges of untreated waste made 2023 the worst year for storm water pollution. Early data seen by the Guardian put the scale of discharges at more than 4m hours, but officials said the figures were an early estimate.

Actually February 1779 was hotter with a mean of 7.9:
But if you think that a mean temperature is any indication of reality you really do not understand statistics. A mean is not an actual measurement it is a statistic calculated from a series of measurements. So if you are comparing mean temperatures you must include the standard deviation for it to be of any relevance. Furthermore, ...

Nice ramble. But the point is that people doing the anaysis do understand how to deal with the issues and take them into account. And there are many different data sources, etc.

Bottom line is that yes, the climate is warming overall, and yes, it will include some seriously harmful (to human societies) consequences. Flim-flam doesn't negate that stark reality.

I'll add here something I've recommened before:

If you really want to understand 'Climate Change' and be able to distinguish reliable science-based reports from dribble or propaganda REALLY RECOMMEND getting and reading a copy of:

The Human Planet by Lewis and Maslin (Pelican Paperback)

That explains the 'science' and the evidence clearly and extensively. Plus has *hundreds* of good references to provide the basis in more detail for those who really want to understand the topic.

OR in short: Anthromorphic CC is real. It is deadly serious. It will make life *far* worse for our children. We need to start dealing with it URGENTLY because the more we delay or dilute our responses the worse it will get for us all. (OK. except for the super wealthy who expect to buy a 'golden ticket' to being OK as they watch the rest of our children burn.)

Maybe they were right when they said "The Fire Next Time". 8-/ The Canadians and Californians have already had a taste of that.

P.S. In case it helps: I never worked in Climate science. My professional interest for decades was the science and engineering of 'measurement'. That meant my focus was on 'how we can know what we know and get even better informed' in terms of measurement instruments, analysis, etc. So I've come into this topic with that approach.

Half of Malaysia is now in an unusual extended and scorching drought. Temperatures of 40C and empty reservoirs. Thailand is the same.
Fortunately for me, KL itself is getting storms

Half of Malaysia is now in an unusual extended and scorching drought. Temperatures of 40C and empty reservoirs. Thailand is the same.
Fortunately for me, KL itself is getting storms

Climate change is impacting food production. There'll probably be less rice next year, at a higher price.

The summer wildfires have certainly hit olive production around the Med. Olive oil that sold for £3 a litre is now £8!

And UK farmers are struggling with more problems in addition to climate change. PE refer to DEFRA as the Department for the Elimination of Farming and RA.

Climate change is impacting food production. There'll probably be less rice next year, at a higher price.
Yes, both Thailand and Malaysia are way down on output, India has stopped exports of rice and onions. Food prices can only go up until the demand falls to supply by famine

World’s biggest economies pumping billions into fossil fuels in poor nations
G20 countries spent $142bn in three years to expand operations despite a G7 pledge to stop doing so, study finds

"Canada, Japan and South Korea were the biggest sources of such finance in the three years studied, and gas received more funding than either coal or oil."

We're clearly heading for a huge catastrophe which will not be reversible.

Hottest February ever, hottest March ever. Now warm for April. Climate scientists predict it will all be worse than they thought.

Politicians are guilty of criminal negligence. They should all be in jail. Except that they would be replaced by yet more idiots from the fossil fuel lobby.

We're clearly heading for a huge catastrophe which will not be reversible.

Hottest February ever, hottest March ever. Now warm for April. Climate scientists predict it will all be worse than they thought.

Politicians are guilty of criminal negligence. They should all be in jail. Except that they would be replaced by yet more idiots from the fossil fuel lobby.
I would love to know where this 'hottest March ever' was, exactly, as it was bloody freezing down here on the south coast of the UK all month! Our central heating is still on.

advertisement

Back