advertisement

The PFM Environment thread

Call me all the names you want – I won’t stop telling the truth about livestock farming

George Monbiot
I’ve been accused of being a ‘soyboy’ and ‘in the pay of Big Lettuce’ by one of the most destructive industries on Earth

This came to a head at Cop28, which was meant to be the first climate summit at which the impacts of the food system were properly considered. But by the time 120 meat and dairy lobbyists had done their worst, nothing meaningful came of it.

Heard my first sound of Spring today, a great spotted woodpecker drumming on a tree.
It's December.
We are fkd.

Anyone for an Arctic Zombie virus?

Arctic zombie viruses in Siberia could spark terrifying new pandemic, scientists warn

Threat of outbreak from microbes trapped in permafrost for millennia raised by increased Siberian shipping activity

Toxic run-off from roads not monitored, BBC finds

The EA said it recognised that run-off from highways and urban areas was a "serious issue" accounting for 18% of water quality failures in England, and the third most damaging source of water pollution after agriculture and sewage.

Toxic run-off from roads not monitored, BBC finds

The EA said it recognised that run-off from highways and urban areas was a "serious issue" accounting for 18% of water quality failures in England, and the third most damaging source of water pollution after agriculture and sewage.
I was just reading about that.

A couple of years ago I read something about some country or other 'recycling' mashed up rubber or plastic as a proportion the aggregate for new road surfaces, which seemed like an absolutely terrible idea to me. I did read it via a LinkedIn post so maybe it was just nonsense.

No idea about roads, but we often specify materials that use recycled rubber for playground safety surfacing, Tiger Mulch eg.

No idea about roads, but we often specify materials that use recycled rubber for playground safety surfacing, Tiger Mulch eg.
Yes I've seen a lot of that type of surface in kids play areas and it makes good sense and must be better on kids knees than tarmac :). Didn't seem to be quite so sensible as a road surface that cars and HGVs etc. will be rumbling across and abrading it all back into the environment in even smaller pieces.

Brace! Brace!​

Atlantic Ocean circulation nearing ‘devastating’ tipping point, study finds

Collapse in system of currents that helps regulate global climate would be at such speed that adaptation would be impossible

The latest data does indeed show that climate change is happening faster than predicted. Pretty terrifying - this can't be fixed any longer, and carbon capture is wholly unrealistic as a "fix".

I just watched Euronews on the Green Deal debate in Bruxelles, and it made the point that Europe is till handing out trillions in subsidies for fossil fuels. Nobody seems to want to cut back on fossil fuels so basically we're fcked as stated.

The latest data does indeed show that climate change is happening faster than predicted. Pretty terrifying - this can't be fixed any longer, and carbon capture is wholly unrealistic as a "fix".

I just watched Euronews on the Green Deal debate in Bruxelles, and it made the point that Europe is till handing out trillions in subsidies for fossil fuels. Nobody seems to want to cut back on fossil fuels so basically we're fcked as stated.
The rich will bankrupt and kill us all - it's just a question of time!

I fear for my childrens' future...

That's an old story from July last year that was based on modelling with ridiculously implausible inputs such as freshwater flowing in to the Atlantic sufficiently fast enough to raise sea levels by 6cms per year

Prof Jonathan Bamber, Director of the Bristol Glaciology Centre, University of Bristol, said:

“The authors of this study look at the stability of a key component of the ocean circulation called the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation that has received a great deal of attention over the last decades as paleoclimate data suggests it is bistable and has an “off” mode and an “on” mode. The most recent and sophisticated generation of climate models, called GCMS, do not tend to reproduce this bistable behaviour but with this model they have managed to achieve it. They did this by imposing a huge freshwater forcing to the North Atlantic that is entirely unrealistic for even the most extreme warming scenario over the next century. Their freshwater forcing applied to the North Atlantic is equivalent to 6 cm/year of sea level rise by the end of the experiment, which is more than seen during the collapse of the ice sheet that covered North America during the last glaciation. To what extent such an experiment can be used to infer robust behaviour in the climate system is difficult to know but it is interesting that they do see a collapse in the AMOC, even in this artificial case.

“The authors also investigate a parameter related to freshwater transport by the AMOC that has been linked to its stability. They find that this parameter is declining and when it reaches a minimum this is an indication of an impending AMOC collapse. While that may correct, it is unclear when and if the parameter will reach a minimum and whether it will continue to decline. In fact, some observational data indicate it is not decreasing so the title of the paper is a little misleading. It would be more accurate to say that “Physics-based early warning signal shows that the AMOC may be on a pathway to a tipping point at some unknown time in the future”. it would be interesting to know why this GCM shows bistability when others have not and whether a more realistic experiment with a more realistic present-day climate and AMOC strength also shows bistability. No doubt this work will spur on further study on this important topic.”

advertisement

Back