advertisement

The PFM Environment thread

According to that model it will happen in 3782AD and require seven times the total volume of ice in the Greenland ice cap. So not enough water available and not remotely possible to predict what might happen in 1700 years, especially given the the most recent data show that the AMOC has been strengthening since 2012.

We're in February. Average UK temperature is around 8 degrees. Today in London it's 15 degrees.

Summer 2024 could be hotter than last year, and so on and so on.....

I though this was an interesting piece in the Graun today. And hard to argue against.

There is more to colonialism than historical colonialism,” Van Reybrouck said. “Today’s climate change is deeply colonial: it has been largely caused by the temperate zones from the northern hemisphere and it is most deeply felt in the tropics and the Arctic. You cannot decolonise without decarbonising and vice versa.”

We need a radical change in the social system/structure if there's to be any hope.
Talking about "West addressing" always means taxpayers money but the real culprits are big Corp and millionaires, and their puppet politicians...

That idiot Rees-Mogg on the BBC talking about the by-elections and what Tories have to do to get votes:

"We need to re-examine the green policies which are putting intolerable burdens on businesses and indeed on individuals...."

Do these idiots even know there's a climate crisis that they have to take action on? Like NOW?

Someone here was claiming that the roads in his area were not full of potholes, and the rivers were fine.
This puts the claim re rivers to bed - not a single waterway in the UK / NI is in a good position.
Utterly sickening.
My blood boils at this stuff, I put years into trying to keep a single section of river in a decent place to visit.
I have not been there for a good while, it is heartbreaking when I do.

Nowhere is in a good way

On the news this morning, the army is charging cars with electricity from generators powered by hydrogen.

Can they really be turning electricity into hydrogen, carting it around the country in road tankers then running generators on that hydrogen to recharge cars?

When 38% of our electricity is produced from gas this doesn't sound like a good idea, esp when you add in all the conversion losses.

The man in the uniform seemed to think they could now claim zero emissions.

Not breaking news really, just Drax doing what it has been doing for years, funded by £billions of public money:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68381160

It's obscene, i know a couple of RHI claimants on pellet burners who are exasperated. They paid for complex systems and ultimately got compensated for the investment but now are stuck with a system possibly even less sustainable than a simple oil burner and far more expensive to run. The one next door pays more in maintenance costs than i do for kerosene.

February was warmest on record in England and Wales, Met Office says

South of England had its wettest February since at least 1836, and UK had its fifth warmest winter, provisional figures show

The scary thing is that it will get much hotter and wetter because none of world's major nations are willing to seriously cut emissions, and that's the only thing that really matters. We're flying onwards on rails towards a train crash......

Stark realities - the world is headed for a global increase of 2° by 2030 and 2.9° by the end of the century. The desired increase of 1.5° is out of reach. The video shows what a 3° increase looks like. Apart from heatwaves and severe storms the sea level would rise by half a metre. Tens of millions of people would be displaced. Add desertification and water wars.

Actually February 1779 was hotter with a mean of 7.9:
But if you think that a mean temperature is any indication of reality you really do not understand statistics. A mean is not an actual measurement it is a statistic calculated from a series of measurements. So if you are comparing mean temperatures you must include the standard deviation for it to be of any relevance. Furthermore, the raw mean values mean nothing if all the other confounders of the data are not known or taken into account such as urbanisation. The urban heat island effect adds at least 2 degrees to modern urban temperatures and very recent papers have shown up to 8 degrees. A recent freedom of information request to the UK met office showed 29.2% Met Office sites are rated by the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) as CIMO Class 5, and this comes with a warning of “estimated uncertainties added by siting of 5C°”. Class 5 can be termed a ‘junk’ rating since the WMO gives no guidance on where it can be located. The next to junk Class 4 comes with uncertainties of 2C°, while Class 3 has a 1C° warning. From information disclosed under a Freedom of Information request Class 4 accounted for 48.7% of the Met Office’s 380 recording stations. Only 13.7%, or 52 stations are free of ‘uncertainties’ warnings.

Now we're in March, and when I left the house at 6am in the south of Hampshire yesterday, it was -3degC and there was a thick frost everywhere.
Yesterday I drove my son to his training and my car showed +20C. It's f#*king winter and should be at least 10C cooler...

Actually February 1779 was hotter with a mean of 7.9:
But if you think that a mean temperature is any indication of reality you really do not understand statistics. A mean is not an actual measurement it is a statistic calculated from a series of measurements. So if you are comparing mean temperatures you must include the standard deviation for it to be of any relevance. Furthermore, the raw mean values mean nothing if all the other confounders of the data are not known or taken into account such as urbanisation. The urban heat island effect adds at least 2 degrees to modern urban temperatures and very recent papers have shown up to 8 degrees. A recent freedom of information request to the UK met office showed 29.2% Met Office sites are rated by the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) as CIMO Class 5, and this comes with a warning of “estimated uncertainties added by siting of 5C°”. Class 5 can be termed a ‘junk’ rating since the WMO gives no guidance on where it can be located. The next to junk Class 4 comes with uncertainties of 2C°, while Class 3 has a 1C° warning. From information disclosed under a Freedom of Information request Class 4 accounted for 48.7% of the Met Office’s 380 recording stations. Only 13.7%, or 52 stations are free of ‘uncertainties’ warnings.
And the conclusion we should draw from this is what? That temperatures are not generally rising, and fast? That climate change is nothing of the sort and it's all some sort of acceptable and normal variation so nothing to worry about?

advertisement

Back