advertisement

The nightmare of living with a "no remote control" amplifier

lsegeorge

pfm Member
...in my family of two teens, a wife and a dog...there is always someone trying to tell me something...🤯🥸😶‍🌫️

...this is why living with my no remote Sansui AU-α607L (fantastic amp) is proving a nightmare...

...my vynil listening sessions have turned from 😇 to 😬...

Can you please sympathise with me 😇

How do you mean, 'externally'?
I've often thought that an external belt drive to the amp gain control knob or shaft could be handy without compromising the amp design.
So.. you wouldn't need the potentiometer, just a remotely controlled motor drive.

I've often thought that an external belt drive to the amp gain control knob or shaft could be handy without compromising the amp design.
So.. you wouldn't need the potentiometer, just a remotely controlled motor drive.
I bought a small metal instrument case, in which I drilled the appropriate holes for the shaft and IR sensor on the front, and the appropriate phono sockets at the back to connect it to the pre-amp.

I designed and built one about 30 years ago.
It was a small weighted box that had 2 LEDs on it, red for volume going up and green for going down and it used a cassette deck drive belt to turn the volume knob up and down on my Musical Fidelity B1.
It used a Plessey chipset to actually control the thing. 👍
It worked well but no one that I knew on the hifi fraternity took it seriously . 🤷‍♂️
The B1 is still in use but sadly, the remote had long gone. lol
I wish I still had it. 🤔

@lsegeorge

Get one of these off Amazon - for your family:

Neuralizer.jpg

Try an Irish remote. My best mates father had it sussed, long stick with a piece of rubber for grip at one end. Man and machine working in perfect harmony.
I was doing some work in an auld farmers house, in the bedroom he had a piece of string tied to the toggle of the light switch, it went up to the ceiling through a few eye hooks and then hung down beside his bed so he could switch the light off from bed, funny and crude but it worked.

Apart from the TV which the remote is necessary to operate all the remote controls I have are still in the packaging in the box they came in, I've found I never really use them, I've never owned a record player with one (do they even exist?) , I prefer to change volume manually with a rotary volume control on the amp and with the CD player I just press play.

advertisement

Back