advertisement

The nightmare of living with a "no remote control" amplifier

I'm OCD about setting exact vol levels. No remote would do my head in. Deal breaker.
For me too. Minor adjustments are sometimes required during playback of a single album - not being able to do this remotely can impinge on the listening experience (First World problem, but there it is).

I've never understood why remote volume control is supposed to have a negative impact on sound quality - perhaps someone could explain?

Bugger the effect on SQ. For me, I have always hated push-up, push-down volume controls of which the remote variety are a sub-species, a negative effect on both the listening and also the viewing experience in the case of a TV, and my patience. They are inexorably slow and you never get it right first time - you go past the point you were looking for and need to go back a bit. I much prefer to get off my arse and twist a knob. The reaction is instantaneous. I also hate them on car radios and consider them dangerous . A backward step in the history of mankind in my book.
Obviously I´m out of time ! (Chris Farlowe dixit )
Now there´s an idea, a remote with a big twistable knob. Bang and Olufsen, perhaps.

I can sympathise, especially as my amp does have a remote - but I’m bu**ered if I can find it. One day it was there, the next, gone. I have no idea where, how, or why it disappeared, but it’s gone…

With classical music I use the remote a lot. Otherwise it's either too quiet or too loud for me. Now my ( old )Audio Synthesis remote
is not working, so gone back to the Tisbury.. I wonder if a Universal one would work ?... It's alright talking to my self now !! o_O

With classical music I use the remote a lot. Otherwise it's either too quiet or too loud for me. Now my ( old )Audio Synthesis remote
is not working, so gone back to the Tisbury.. I wonder if a Universal one would work ?... It's alright talking to my self now !! o_O
I have a few Logitech remotes that are compatible with many devices. You can try this tool to see.

I did a lot of listening from my basement system during the teen years. This period of your life will soon pass and you can look forward to being empty nesters if that’s any relief. I’m listening to my living room system more than ever which is my best sounding and most comfortable room for music. It is what it is.

It would have been nice to have had my Apple AirPods Max back then but I was heavy into vinyl at the time.

ebay sell very very long grippy picky up thingies. You know... 'Grabbers' ...you squeeze a trigger one end and jaws close at the other end.
I can image 100 reasons why this might suit your situation:)

Based on my childhood at least, I thought that a prominent reason for having kids is to make them get up to change the volume so that you don't have to trouble yourself with doing it.

advertisement

Back