advertisement

The Myth of Cables?

So should I replace my cheap and nasty B&Q electrical cable for some proper speaker cable? I was thinking of trying that Chord Leyline. I need a lot, as the room is big and one speaker is 15 feet from the amp
Many will say no, I say give it a go & make your own mind up, even the cheapo van damme will bring better results than this IMO.

I did try this option out a little while ago, I will try anything, compared to my Chord silverscreen, well, I better not say what I heard, obviously.

So should I replace my cheap and nasty B&Q electrical cable for some proper speaker cable? I was thinking of trying that Chord Leyline. I need a lot, as the room is big and one speaker is 15 feet from the amp

If you can get someone to lend you some proper speaker wire, I can't see what you could lose (excluding time of course).

Again, one must sift accordingly.

Unlike you I don't feel inclined to try to save people from themselves by telling them they are being irrational.

If you're really interested and you find anything that you think you can prove is foo why don't you file a complaint?

www.asa.org.uk could be a good place to start.
There have been around 2 complaints regarding hifi cables, to asa, yes you read this correct, 2 complaints, it tells a story I feel.

If some here feel so strongly, why not report what you feel is a scam, there are hundreds of cable companies to choose from, probably thousands, who, some here think are ripping off the public due to false advertising.

There have been around 2 complaints regarding hifi cables, to asa, yes you read this correct, 2 complaints, it tells a story I feel.

If some here feel so strongly, why not report what you feel is a scam, there are hundreds of cable companies to choose from, probably thousands, who, some here think are ripping off the public due to false advertising.

Indeed.

I've made this suggestion before but, apparently, some people aren't that confident about their ability to prove that some cables are indeed 100% foo to file a complaint.

To Rich, if I had the lengths you need you would be welcome to lend mine, I have some van damme blue here, plugged at 2m a side if that's any good, happy to post them out to you, just post back when you have time.

I may have a 3m set of QED silver anniversary if this is long enough, just add plugs if you need to, no rush in returning, sitting in a draw at present.
BTW, in my opinion, having listened to both, the qed will bring best results I feel.

I still use 240v twin and earth for my speakers, albeit only 1m long. Tried the ones supplied but not so happy with resulting sound.

Would be worth trying Raga's offer if you can get the speakers nearer your amplification, but this may affect the room acoustics etc etc

Bloss

I think, at this special time of year, it's worth turning to the scriptures to see what the real son of God - Russ Andrews - has to say about cables. Remember, Russ died for our cable sins so we could continue to argue about expensive and meaningless bits of wire for years to come.

As a seasonal concession I'm prepared to go as far as reading Cliff Richard's autobiography, but no further.

Indeed. One should strive to avoid throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

In terms of how you actually do the sifting I'd say that it should be whatever works for you.

Total subjectivity embraced! So all that nattering about not proving the null hypothesis was truly beside the point, wasn't it? "Whatever works for you" is the gold standard, for accepting or rejecting, it turns out.

Total subjectivity embraced! So all that nattering about not proving the null hypothesis was truly beside the point, wasn't it? "Whatever works for you" is the gold standard, for accepting or rejecting, it turns out.

Still stuck at the impossibility of proving the null hypothesis?

That's basic statistics and not beside the point in the least.

But if someone is convinced that their stereo setup sounds better to them if it is black rather than grey I won't be the one waving a flag saying they are being irrational and trying to show on a internet forum how superior my stance is.

My favourite cable ... Naim NACA5. Cheaper and also superb ... VdH CS122 Hybrid.

Just bought a pair of cheapish almost new QED Genesis Revelation Signatures. Terminated at the amp end with Z plugs and QEDs airtight crimped cuties at the other.

Will be interesting. As always, if no likey they will be shifted on the usual way.

I've made this suggestion before but, apparently, some people aren't that confident about their ability to prove that some cables are indeed 100% foo to file a complaint.

Not all of us live in the UK...

Not all of us live in the UK...

I'm sure some fellow member of the 1st cable brigade who is a UK resident would be happy to file your complaint in his name.

And are you sure you don't have such an agency in the Netherlands?

Unlike you I don't feel inclined to try to save people from themselves by telling them they are being irrational.

So what you are saying is we should accept all claims uncritically?

If you're really interested and you find anything that you think you can prove is foo why don't you file a complaint?

As you might have noted, most of the foo merchants word their ads in such a way that they only hint at things, but don't make disprovable claims - or phrase them as "our customers have stated..." or "many customers find that..".

So what you are saying is we should accept all claims uncritically?

Not in the least. But I don't think people are children and that they'll be better off if someone who thinks he knows the truth tries to save them from themselves.

advertisement

Back