advertisement

The joys of selling hifi .

Can't agree there , unfortunately. There's some twisted folk out there .
I'm still at 100% myself ,but it's been a challenge.
Prev post not Mr Pigs , in case of confusion
I had my first negative in 22 years late last year... low value item, and I (stupidly) agreed to post it despite it being listed as collection only when I was asked to do so after the auction had closed. Buyer sent me useless packaging that would have fallen apart before it was in the courier's van so I cancelled the transaction. eBay wouldn't remove the negative despite having been pretty reasonable before and refunding me some decent sums when other buyers have been at it. I'd say approach with bucketloads of caution and if you don't have a longstanding selling record with them, you'd probably be better off forgetting it as an option altogether.

You need to check or mark the item before you send it. If selling on eBay you need to document it as eBay always take the side of the buyer any will probably do that anyway, even if you can prove someone is trying to scam you.
So you are suggesting we create a documentation of the item sold on eBay ?
Not sure I face how to do this.
Anyone could return you a stone in favor of say a Naim preamp.
How would you prove that you received a stone ?

A friend sold a 3K CD player on eBay and got in return an old worthless DVD player as buyer claimed item was not as described.
Ebay took the scam buyers side.

Indeed, this would be a major concern for me, esp for a high value item. If scammers and scallies can't be flagged up, then it's 'caveat vendor'. Not really a problem for a ÂŁ10 widget, but a ÂŁ3k amp or turntable?
I have sold a few high value items on eBay but it's not something I'd be keen to do now. Too many risks. Apart from the foolishness you might get from the buyer, couriers are a nightmare if anything goes wrong. It's just not worth it.

A friend sold a 3K CD player on eBay and got in return an old worthless DVD player as buyer claimed item was not as described.
Ebay took the scam buyers side.
Exactly, That's what you can be up against. Even as a buyer it can be risky. Chinese sellers know all the dodges and can work their way around the eBay rules. I bough cartridges from China last year and got sent cheapo, crap substitutes. Seller was a nightmare and even after returning them I didn't get a refund. eBay were useless.

It's happened to me. The knob was attached with a set-screw. I guess the vibrations/jostling loosened it. The manufacturer/shipper even tapped the knobs so they couldn't rotate. He told me it happens more than one would like.

Also had a knob come loose just from use. Again, attached via set-screw.

I never sell anything, I put in the loft and sometimes later I remember that amp/ cd player etc..and bring it down and plug it in and then think why did I put this in the loft? Then a couple of days later I remember why! Then a few years go by and I remember that amp/cd etc and bring it down and it goes on and on..if I sold it to some ungrateful sod? Then I wouldnt have the attic hifi merry go round to look forward to (assuming I remember)

It’s not just Hifi. Sold a big Sony broadcast quality video camera as ‘handle broken, does not work, spares or repair, no returns’. Buyer raised a ‘not as described’ and said it had a broken handle and didn’t work. EBay told the buyer to return it, got it back with 2 boards missing and they got a full refund. You couldn’t make it up.

It’s not just Hifi. Sold a big Sony broadcast quality video camera as ‘handle broken, does not work, spares or repair, no returns’. Buyer raised a ‘not as described’ and said it had a broken handle and didn’t work. EBay told the buyer to return it, got it back with 2 boards missing and they got a full refund. You couldn’t make it up.
B@stards

OK, can someone explain this Carlsberg thing?
Carlsberg used to run adverts in the UK where the general theme was: ‘If Carlsberg did X, they would be the best X in the world. Probably’. Various different scenarios for what X could be, in the ads. It’s become a bit of a meme nowadays.

I've mentioned it before here, but I once sold a CD player to someone in Italy. After winning the auction they asked me to send it straight away but that they would have to pay me the next month as their Dad had died and they needed to pay for the funeral. Obviously I cancelled and relisted. When I told the next buyer the story of the original auction they pulled out saying they didn't want to buy from someone who could be so heartless. You can't bloody win with the amount of fruitloops around these days.

Carlsberg used to run adverts in the UK where the general theme was: ‘If Carlsberg did X, they would be the best X in the world. Probably’. Various different scenarios for what X could be, in the ads. It’s become a bit of a meme nowadays.
It should probably be added that Carlsberg is at absolute best a very mediocre, bland industrial lager the quality of which is far exceeded by that of its advertising.

On eBay: my wife successfully defended an attempt at return for misdescription the other week. The item was a pair of mid century glass topped brass framed occasional tables correctly described as having patinated glass and tarnished frames (as with all vintage brass one never polishes it before sale as some collectors prize the patina). Buyer sent a man with a van type operation to collect and on receipt complained it was damaged and not brass and sent photos that were broadly the same as those in the auction. Ridiculous exchange of correspondence ensued, followed by eBay saying they would create a return ticket and then refund the return cost (the cost of the collection was nearly 50% on top of the sold price). Wife then checks eBay's T&Cs, decides they haven't adhered to them, calls back and different agent rules no return because the buyer used a third party professional to collect.

So it can be done, you just need to be persistent.

If you're going to sell something on eBay you need to be prepared to do a few things: 1) add plenty of high quality, well-lit photos showing the item (and any flaws), and all included accessories clearly from all angles, 2) write a decent description mentioning any faults or flaws, as well as highlighting how otherwise excellent the item is, to encourage bidders, and 3) take photos of the packaged item, including the shipping label, before it goes out the door. These steps should defend you against any fraudulent SNAD (significantly not as described) claims. Yes, eBay's automatic systems tend to side with the buyer in most cases, but if you stick to your guns and raise it with their support team then the innocent party usually will come out on top.

Do not use terms like "as new", "like new", "like brand new", or anything that could imply the item is completely 100 per cent blemish-free, unless it is literally a brand-new, unopened product.

I have sold a lot of electronics and hifi gear on eBay over the years, both cheap and expensive, and have luckily not had any issues yet. Only a couple of issues where the buyer for some reason has refused to pay. This is annoying mostly because I wait for the fee promotion weekends to list stuff, and if you need to re-list something, you have to wait until the next promo!

I have also bought a lot, and have had my fair share of items arrive not as described. I never go straight for the jugular of raising an eBay dispute though - I message the seller directly first in order to work out an amicable solution (i.e. a return, or partial refund).

I've also had some bargains thanks to taking a punt on lazy listings with a couple of crappy photos and/or whose auctions end in the middle of the day on a week-day 😅

advertisement

Back