advertisement

The joys of selling hifi .

dspatterson

pfm Member
I have just sold my Naim 282 on pf ,as followers of the for sale page may have noticed . I packaged up in its poly bag ,inserted into the poly end blocks , Fitted in box Napsc in its cardboard etc all secure in original packaging .
I've just been informed that when the new owner removed it from packaging ....the volume knob just slipped off. I can't understand how this could happen , Does anyone have experience of this .
I can't understand how even if it was unstuck it could just slip all that way out .
The joys...
tZf56RE.png

Is it possibly supposed to come off like that in order to be able to access a grub screw which holds the inner part of the knob to the shaft?

I don't know about the new classic series but certainly the olive series has two part knobs with the outer part held on by pretty much just a rubber tyre.

I'd certainly check that out before actually gluing it on since If I'm right it will make future replacement of the pot very difficult if it's supposed to come off.

That's clearly got nothing whatsoever to do with the packaging or you. Just one of those things that happens to older kit. If the buyer is making a thing of it and asking for something, probably money off, he's a dick. Call his bluff and tell him to send it back for a refund. Bet he doesn't. If he does, check the serial number.

I literally live on my nerves selling anything where pick up is not possible .Being up north east coast Scotland means that is not often possible . I stopped using eBay after two incidents .An item came back a charred mess and another item sold for peanuts after I honestly described it , but when they realised they could not turn it around and make a buck out of it turned on me ,as usual eBay backed the buyer..

Hi David,

I've still got the LP12 from when we met in September last year and I know you're honest and trustworthy.

I'd give Naim a call and see what they say. I'm inclined to think that, as Colasblue mentioned upthread, its supposed to come off to access the grub screw holding the inner bit of the knob to the shaft of the pot. Id suggest its an irritation rather than a dealbreaker but I also may be a "if Carlsberg did buyers" type of guy.

How will you prove you've got another item returned ?
You need to check or mark the item before you send it. If selling on eBay you need to document it as eBay always take the side of the buyer any will probably do that anyway, even if you can prove someone is trying to scam you. eBay is a last resort for me now. I will try to sell locally, advertise on here and Facebook and if I absolutely must reach a wider audience I'll very reluctantly use eBay. It's a very hostile environment for small, individual sellers. They don't want you. They want the big guys who are selling in bulk and don't care about the occasional loss to a scammer.

A friend of mine sold a set of rollers (it's a kind of bicycle exorcise machine ) on eBay and the buyer said the bearings were shot and sent it back. Turned out he'd swapped the bearings so he got a good set of bearings for his rollers at no cost. Some real shit people out there. I've net them. I've known people who would think nothing of doing something like that, who'd think it funny or clever. People who seem otherwise decent. You need to try and cover yourself.

Can't see the use of any type of glue when access through the inner control aperture (if not, why the hole?) must be easy. However, it's not mentioned if the 282 was first or second-hand when sold. Anyway, a quick call to Naim (or Naim dealer?) should answer questions. I would think it was a push fit.

as eBay always take the side of the buyer

This is a common mantra that I often read on Internet fora. (..or 'forums' if you prefer).

I can only speak from my own experience here, so please don't shoot the messenger . I've been using ebay for over twenty years and have 100% positive feedback on well over 1000 transactions as both buyer and seller and I've never failed to win a dispute as a seller. I've also managed to nuke the few negative feedbacks I've received.

This has often required being bothered to to take the time and jump through umpteen hoops, but I can't agree that the buyer always wins.

I've been using ebay for over twenty years and have 100% positive feedback on well over 1000 transactions as both buyer and seller and I've never failed to win a dispute as a seller. I've also managed to nuke the few negative feedbacks I've received.
I have over 2,000 transactions and I have never received negative feedback. Does that make my opinion more valid? I don't think so but my experience is that things have incrementally shifted in favor of the buyer to the point where it's no longer anything resembling a level playing field. An early and simple example is that a seller cannot leave bad feedback for a buyer. Explain how that's fair?

An early and simple example is that a seller cannot leave bad feedback for a buyer. Explain how that's fair?
Indeed, this would be a major concern for me, esp for a high value item. If scammers and scallies can't be flagged up, then it's 'caveat vendor'. Not really a problem for a £10 widget, but a £3k amp or turntable?

advertisement

Back