advertisement

The joys of selling hifi .

I think people don't even consider the human seller, they view it as gaming ebay. Similar to how some think it is OK to order a TV from John Lewis for the big match then return it the following day for a refund or buy clothes for a night out and then return.

I have never sold on ebay, are sellers obliged to accept a buy? Can't they look at the buyer's profile and just go "nah!".

I think people don't even consider the human seller, they view it as gaming ebay. Similar to how some think it is OK to order a TV from John Lewis for the big match then return it the following day for a refund or buy clothes for a night out and then return.

I have never sold on ebay, are sellers obliged to accept a buy? Can't they look at the buyer's profile and just go "nah!".
No, the seller can cancel the transaction and refund the buyer.

I think you have to be prepared to persistent with eBay when you know you're right. A major problem is that eBay (and other platforms) have significantly blurred the demarcation between professional and private sellers and many buyers now think buying used privately gives them the same rights as buying new. It doesn't, of course, and neither is eBay able to trump the law should you choose to challenge legally.
Also, I think eBay's first line of dispute resolution is automated and many people don't get past this. There's a little-known right in data protection law, namely the right not to be subjected to wholly automated decision-making. The right is to have a human being review the decision. If you suspect that eBay has found against you on the basis of an automated process, it'd be worth demanding your right to have human intervention (which includes the right to bring any additional information the requester wishes to be taken into consideration). There's no time limitation on this right, so there's the potential to unpick long-concluded eBay disputes in such cases. The key, however, is that no human has already been involved in the decision, so entirely bot-derived outcome.

As I suspect a lot of eBay disputes are dealt with in this fashion, and one party gives up in the face of intractable robotdom, then perhaps this might be useful. It's certainly an avenue to approach eBay again to reassess the adjudication. If nothing else, it ensures somebody human has looked at the facts of the case. In clearly irrational decisions, you'd hope a human would see the need to reverse them, once alerted to them. And, as above, this might then open up an avenue for a Small Claims court case where, if you have good evidence, you are more likely to succeed.

I had a buyer who took piss with payment and not being able to commit to a pickup time. We agreed to cancel then he gave me bad feedback for his initial terms! I asked eBay twice to read our message feed and if they could remove feedback as it was unjustified. They said “if you call again we will suspend your account. 👍👍👍

No, the seller can cancel the transaction and refund the buyer.
Think this is the sensible way to try and minimise getting scammed (as well as all the basics like photos, tracking etc.). Thoroughly vet the buyer before sending. The sniff of any red flags, cancel and refund. Not a guarantee but you can usually get a fairly good sense from reviews and some initial interactions combined.

Though this thread is giving me the heebee jeebies as I was about to list a ton of not-cheap stuff this weekend

Think you pays your money and takes your choice...
Ebay for the convience but 1 in, I dunno, 50 to 100 transactions might go pear shaped.
Go private for more hassle and smaller selling base, and potentially less profits (esp if you wait for eBay seller discounts)

Do folk not find gear sitting around for ages on the classified in PFM or do things move relatively quickly?

I had a buyer who took piss with payment and not being able to commit to a pickup time. We agreed to cancel then he gave me bad feedback for his initial terms! I asked eBay twice to read our message feed and if they could remove feedback as it was unjustified. They said “if you call again we will suspend your account. 👍👍👍

Always payment up front option switched on, can't be doing with that.

It’s not clear what you mean?
Sorry. In eBay there's an option "require immediate payment" or something. Which means they can't secure the item without payment up front. That's one less thing to worry about.

To be fair, you always hear about the bad stories.
A friend have a 500+ rating on eBay, all positive, not a single issue, tbh maybe one only :cool:

To be fair, you always hear about the bad stories.
A friend have a 500+ rating on eBay, all positive, not a single issue, tbh maybe one only :cool:

I've got 475 rating, probably about 100+ sales on random stuff without any hitches. Only ever had one slightly dodgy interaction on an Eight Sleep (a fancy pants cooling mattress thing) where he said it didn't work but it was clear he just had buyers remorse. In the end I just gave him a deep discount and he agreed to resell it. But it was such a big cumbersome thing I didn't want to deal with a return, opening it all up, testing it etc. which would be half a day gone, which I believe he played on.

Indeed. It's now many years since I sold anything on eBay, but I did have one problem some years ago. I sent an item, buyer said not as described and returned some old books in lieu of a reasonably expensive bit of kit. eBay were only interested in the tracking of the returned item and ruled in buyer's favour. I had taken great care with recording serial numbers, first class pictures and a video of both packaging the item when sent and opening the 'return'. I was having none of this nonsense so I gave up on eBay as a route to resolution and went straight to Court. 'Buyer' didn't turn up to the hearing and case decided in my favour. No payment received. I immediately escalated to High Court and sent in the Sheriffs (as they were then). They seized the guy's car, which motivated him to settle up. The item he bought was for around £400 I seem to recall; it ended up costing him a couple of thousand with all the additional costs and fees (including a claim for my time).
Haha, the nuclear option. Love it! Was this via small claims court/moneyclaim online, or a different process?

It’s not clear what you mean
Sorry. In eBay there's an option "require immediate payment" or something. Which means they can't secure the item without payment up front. That's one less thing to worry about.
ah ok.

It was payment on collection only. He said he had a relative that lived up here so he would pick up but wasn’t sure when, but a month or so. So I said well if you pay for it now, as long as I receive cleared funds it will sit here until you’re ready (as a bit of a handshake) and if your not happy for what ever reason when you get here you can have your money back straight away. He then paid. The money then held by eBay saying’buyer still not picked up’ so I asked what happens now , he said “well I’m not going to say I’ve got it when I haven’t “ so I didn’t have cleared payment. Sorry but you knew the deal, and I put off two potential buyers while all this was happening. I asked when he could get here he then said it could be a few months. He said cancel it if you want, so I did.

I hear people not having any problems. I personally think hifi is a different animal. Sought after collectibles etc. it’s simply not secure enough other than to pick up in person.

Haha, the nuclear option. Love it! Was this via small claims court/moneyclaim online, or a different process?
It was small claims Court. It was some years back, so all done by post. I followed all the procedures (warning letters, etc) and prepared an extensive portfolio of documents. I rehearsed my Perry Mason statement. Open & shut as far as I was concerned. When defendant didn't show the Judge asked if I wanted to claim reasonable costs, so I showed him my prepared accounting, which he accepted on the nod. Job done in around 10-15 mins. I paid extra for Bailiff serving of the judgement (recovered that cost as well). Escalating to High Court was a straightforward matter of paperwork. Decades ago I had a pal who, shall we say, walked on the shadier side of tne street. Whenever he felt that someone's actions weren't right, he would refer to the situation as a 'diabolical liberty' (a Bob Hoskins). It stuck with me and to this day I cannot abide anyone/organsiation taking a diabolical liberty with me or mine. I don't take liberties and I exoect the same from others ( I sound like J B Books here!).

I think you have to be prepared to be persistent with eBay when you know you're right. A major problem is that eBay (and other platforms) have significantly blurred the demarcation between professional and private sellers and many buyers now think buying used privately gives them the same rights as buying new. It doesn't, of course, and neither is eBay able to trump the law should you choose to challenge legally.
Buying second hand doesn't have the same legal protection as buying new, but contract law gives the buyers and sellers rights according to ebay's T&Cs (where they don't contradict your legal rights).

I am asked for my personal tax details, eBay insist it the EU law.
Fcuck them !
They won't get anything, wonder if they ban me then ?
That would be silly as they loose a lot of fees by throwing people out.
This is an outcome of the implementation of the recent OECD agreement on tackling tax avoidance and the EU is only relevant insofar as that's where many of eBay's non-US business entities are registered. So you can rant at them how you like, but please at least know why what's changing is changing.

advertisement

Back