advertisement

The journey begins….

I sold a lot of Technics SL-10 and derivatives, many to seniors, back when I were a lad. Lift the lid, place the record on, close the lid, and press start; it doesn't get much easier than that.

Trouble is, these seem to go for a lot more money used than I recall selling them for new. Also, one doesn't want to be faced with repairing one of these now long in the tooth decks.

Fully automatic is the way to go as one enters ones golden years, though.

SL-10_DA26-04M182_4-2_IMG6634p.JPG
I’ve seen these and derivatives on various YouTube excerpts. Interesting things.

I have two SL-10s awaiting minor repair as the linear tracking can get sticky and needs servicing. Both have the original MC310 which is a stunningly good cartridge (see it under a microscope - beautiful), and these decks sound absolutely top knotch. Built-in MC/MM phono stage can be bypassed. Incredible audio engineering. So much TT for the size.

Remember that originally they were about three times the price of a basic Sondek.

I suppose one of the reasons I don't use them is that all tinkering is obviated, and I miss the pleasure of the old ritual of cuing a pivot arm.

A bit lost...where did the start of this thread go? Much seems to have been deleted?

A bit lost...where did the start of this thread go? Much seems to have been deleted?
Nope, it's all there; starting with a tantalizing photo of a classic Thorens mat with integral flip over 45rpm singles adapter hole in post #1.

Things did move along quite quickly from there, though.

Technics sl1500 looks very simple, has auto-lift and probably gives little away to the 1200gr, which is excellent.
My FIL liked your Technics suggestion so I’m looking at sourcing one for him.He thinks it’ll be just right for him. Thanks for your suggestion.

An update.
It seems so long ago since my days at Amazon. It’s strange how Life can flip over but then flip back again in such a short time. That was a time when it was difficult to smile or look ahead beyond the day. But I had the forum and the support from members here that really helped me to get myself back on track. My journey was really a journey to recovery and members probably didn’t realise the impact of their support on my recovery. I am still incredibly thankful.
So where am I now? Life is pretty great really. I’ve surfaced. I’m settled in a job that I enjoy and have just recently been promoted. And I’m having fun again meeting new friends, re-engaging with old friends and my wider family. My Dad’s death last year saddened me but also gave me the momentum to surge ahead. My Dad watched me recover and wanted me to continue. At home, my wife and I are transforming our
home after deciding to stay in it for the foreseeable future and we’re planning a fine time together.
What has remained constant through all of this is my love for Music. It has been a balm to my Life as well as my ears and I appreciate its power to Heal in even the most difficult of times.
This year, once the dust settles(literally), I’ll be thinking about some tweaking here and there, perhaps. But mostly I’ll be revelling in the Music.

An update.
It seems so long ago since my days at Amazon. It’s strange how Life can flip over but then flip back again in such a short time. That was a time when it was difficult to smile or look ahead beyond the day. But I had the forum and the support from members here that really helped me to get myself back on track. My journey was really a journey to recovery and members probably didn’t realise the impact of their support on my recovery. I am still incredibly thankful.
So where am I now? Life is pretty great really. I’ve surfaced. I’m settled in a job that I enjoy and have just recently been promoted. And I’m having fun again meeting new friends, re-engaging with old friends and my wider family. My Dad’s death last year saddened me but also gave me the momentum to surge ahead. My Dad watched me recover and wanted me to continue. At home, my wife and I are transforming our
home after deciding to stay in it for the foreseeable future and we’re planning a fine time together.
What has remained constant through all of this is my love for Music. It has been a balm to my Life as well as my ears and I appreciate its power to Heal in even the most difficult of times.
This year, once the dust settles(literally), I’ll be thinking about some tweaking here and there, perhaps. But mostly I’ll be revelling in the Music.

I always question the need to discuss very personal issues on forums such as this but I have followed your trials and tribulations and am glad things are on the up for you.

I always question the need to discuss very personal issues on forums such as this but I have followed your trials and tribulations and am glad things are on the up for you.

Different strokes for different folks.
Some like to keep personal matters private, some wish to share, everyone needs someone to talk too or share when times are tough imo, all too often people bottle things up.
I'm happy to read that Del is in a better place now, it must be awful to work in a job that gets you down.

I probably used to think this but I share for the reasons listed by Darren. My trials weren’t unique and I work in environments where people are facing difficulties all of time without the support they really need. For me, my recovery promotes the necessity of empathy, support and celebration.

advertisement

Back