advertisement

The journey begins….

Thank you to Curtis, Gus and SeanM for helping me begin this vinyl odyssey. As a first project I’d like to restore this lovely gift to its former honest glory.
i.e. get it going!

I’ll have some questions along the way and would be grateful if the more vinyl-centric fishies could help me as I find my way.

It’s a Thorens TD166 mk ii.
I’ve just ordered two female phono plugs as they are missing from the lead. My second scary soldering job!
Then I’d like to source anti skate weights, hinges and a longer earth wire.
Going to be fun!

I'm all for pitching in with some assistance, that is, assuming there's room in the workshop. Selling and servicing these helped pay my way through uni and beyond.

In fact, I could tell that it was either TD-166 Mk II or TD-146 from your second photo there. And, in the coveted silver plinth wrap too, no less.

Lesson No 1: Boy RCAs vs. Girl RCAs
(to be continued)

Last edited:
I'm all for pitching in with some assistance, that is, assuming there's room in the workshop. Selling and servicing these helped pay my way through uni and beyond.

In fact, I could tell that it was either TD-166 Mk II or TD-146 Mk II from your second photo there. And, in the coveted silver plinth wrap too, no less.

(to be continued)
Boy RCAs! Doh!

In fact, I could tell that it was either TD-166 Mk II or TD-146 Mk II from your second photo there. And, in the coveted silver plinth wrap too, no less.

(to be continued)

Many thanks. I would appreciate the support. My main aim is to get it going and listen. Then I will look at servicing it with bearing oil etc. The wiring tags look tricky. I’ll need long noses pliers and a steady hand I think! Better put the malt away for that one I think.

advertisement

Back