advertisement

The journey begins….

I personally wouldn’t f about with the deck, it’s beautifully engineered.
Enjoy the warmth and get the slippers out.
Bright, clean sounding hifi is for kids!

It was fiddly to for the cartridge especially as the Ortofon has screws in the top but I managed to win despite this.
I've been wondering about this since you posted those pics on Friday.

I did notice that the finger lift is none standard. The original lift is threaded, such that a none treaded cartridge body gets loosely screwed to this from below, then the whole assembly is slid onto tracks from the rear beneath the headshell, that is, prior to final tightening of the screws.

I assume that you must have managed to 'shim' it in, post determining the ideal screws depth down through holes within that finger lift.

578175-323de053-thorens_tp_63_arm_wands.jpg

I've been wondering about this since you posted those pics on Friday.

I did notice that the finger lift is none standard. The original lift is threaded, such that a none treaded cartridge body gets loosely screwed to this from below, then the whole assembly is slid onto the 'fingers' (tracks?) from the rear beneath the headshell, that is, prior to final tightening of the screws.

I assume that you must have managed to 'shim' it in, post determining the ideal screws depth down through holes within that finger lift(?).

578175-323de053-thorens_tp_63_arm_wands.jpg
That’s correct. The finger lift was not present so I ordered one. It’s secure but not ideal.

Sorry I completely forgot about the finger lift! I’ve just found it so will send it on for when you try the 1042 - something that is absolutely worth doing, by the way. I assumed I’d maxed the arm on my 147 out with an old ADC XLMII, a very nice vintage cart that’s just the right compliance, but putting a Nagaoka MP500 on it brought dramatic improvements.

Sorry I completely forgot about the finger lift! I’ve just found it so will send it on for when you try the 1042 - something that is absolutely worth doing, by the way. I assumed I’d maxed the arm on my 147 out with an old ADC XLMII, a very nice vintage cart that’s just the right compliance, but putting a Nagaoka MP500 on it brought dramatic improvements.
My goodness. Amazing. Thanks so much Sean. Didn’t expect that.
So you recommend the 1042?

My goodness. Amazing. Thanks so much Sean. Didn’t expect that.
So you recommend the 1042?
Never actually heard it, I really just meant that the arm is good enough to get a lot out of a really good MM, and I know the 1042 is top of that series. I think it is a bit stiffer than your 2M Red, so in theory less of a match for the low mass arm, but I’ve found the arm pretty tolerant of carts of less than ideal compliance.

Never actually heard it, I really just meant that the arm is good enough to get a lot out of a really good MM, and I know the 1042 is top of that series. I think it is a bit stiffer than your 2M Red, so in theory less of a match for the low mass arm, but I’ve found the arm pretty tolerant of carts of less than ideal compliance.
Thanks Sean.

I must say, you certainly don't hang about, Del. Looks lovely, too!

Regarding dust cover restoration, look no further than Novus Plastic Polish, which comes highly recommended from plastics fabricators. They offer three individual products, available as a kit or separately. Their No. 2 Fine Scratch Remover generally does the trick. If in really bad shape then it is No. 3 Medium Scratch Remover, followed up with the No. 2 to take down the fine swirl marks left by No. 3. These aren't the cheapest, but a little 8oz bottle goes a long way. Great for car headlamps, plastic lenses, visors, all kinds of things.

BTW, is it the hinge(s) on the lid, or on the plinth that need replacing?
I received the Novus you recommended. Is there a recommended process using this?

Iv seen a site in the Netherlands for 3D printed hinges for the Thorens. It’s called Art of Vinyl. They are OK price wise but what delivery charges might I be stung by if I were to order the parts? In this post Brexit world.

I received the Novus you recommended. Is there a recommended process using this?
[Mr. Miyagi]Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breath, very important.[/Mr. Miyagi]

https://www.novuspolish.com/tips.html

I'd only add; avoid the use of a power buffer, even a sub-1000rpm model can heat the plastic enough to cause it to distort. Also, instead of using No. 1 to pre-clean the surface prior to polishing, simply give the cover a good clean, initially using a blotting method with a soft damp cloth, and following that up with a good wipe down after thoroughly rinsing the cloth ('microfibre' type cloths work well here).

Directions for use start at 4:57:

Last edited:
[Mr. Miyagi]Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breath, very important.[/Mr. Miyagi]

https://www.novuspolish.com/tips.html

I'd only add; avoid the use of a power buffer, even a sub-1000rpm model can heat the plastic enough to cause it to distort. Also, instead of using No. 1 to pre-clean the surface prior to polishing, simply give the cover a good clean, initially using a blotting method with a soft damp cloth, and following that up with a good wipe down after thoroughly rinsing the cloth ('microfibre' type cloths work well here).

Directions for use start at 4:57:
Thanks. The Novus is working wonders with the lid. Can’t get my head around how it works. Seems so counter intuitive.
Thank you for the tips so far.

So, I’m cleaning the lid and I’ve installed the anti skate weights this morning. It’s sounding very fine with some Nielsen and Previn this morning. Sean is sending me the original finger lift so things are really coming together. I love the honesty of this player and when I crank it up it really comes to life! There are really only a few of things I’d like to do before I sit down and live with the Thorens for a while. These are;

-sourcing hinge parts(I thought some Fishies with a 3D printer may I like a project!Paid of course)
-soldering a new, longer earth wire
-trying the Goldring 1042 with the proper finger lift installed
-a final clean and set up check

My father in law visited the other day and was properly impressed. Interestingly he was also considering selling his turntable for a more modest set up. He only has a handful of sentimental vinyl left. They were gifts from his late wife. He now mostly listens to his tuner and streaming set up.
He has asked me to sell his rather fine Project Sig. 10 and help him buy a new decent turntable. He is nervous around the Project( he accidentally damaged his stylus recently) so I suspect he would like a semi automatic simple good quality TT. He will use my Clearaudio as a substitute at this time?

Any recommendations?
Also any recommendations for a ratio of his Koetso Rosewood(ouch)!He doesn’t want to pay the 2K for a rebuild in Japan.

thanks as always.

So, I’m cleaning the lid and I’ve installed the anti skate weights this morning. It’s sounding very fine with some Nielsen and Previn this morning. Gus is sending me the original finger lift so things are really coming together. I love the honesty of this player and when I crank it up it really comes to life! There are really only a few of things I’d like to do before I sit down and live with the Thorens for a while. These are;

-sourcing hinge parts(I thought some Fishies with a 3D printer may I like a project!Paid of course)
-soldering a new, longer earth wire
-trying the Goldring 1042 with the proper finger lift installed
-a final clean and set up check

My father in law visited the other day and was properly impressed. Interestingly he was also considering selling his turntable for a more modest set up. He only has a handful of sentimental vinyl left. They were gifts from his late wife. He now mostly listens to his tuner and streaming set up.
He has asked me to sell his rather fine Project Sig. 10 and help him buy a new decent turntable. He is nervous around the Project( he accidentally damaged his stylus recently) so I suspect he would like a semi automatic simple good quality TT. He will use my Clearaudio as a substitute at this time?

Any recommendations?
Also any recommendations for a ratio of his Koetso Rosewood(ouch)!He doesn’t want to pay the 2K for a rebuild in Japan.

thanks as always.
I would look at a Technics for a fuss free option, if he is keeping the Koetsu then he is going to need a very good TT. I would be tempted to go with an AT33 cart & sell the K.

I went from a Koetsu Black to an AT33 so have some direct experience.

I would look at a Technics for a fuss free option, if he is keeping the Koetsu then he is going to need a very good TT. I would be tempted to go with an AT33 cart & sell the K.

I went from a Koetsu Black to an AT33 so have some direct experience.
He already has an Ortofon( not sure which but it was about £500). He intends to use this. The Rosewood is sentimental and he had it with his LP12 some years ago. Technics sounds like a good choice. I’ve heard good things. thanks

A Techy and AT33 are good suggestions, extremely happy with my 1200GR+AT33PTG combo. Lots of vintage fully auto decks but obvs no warranty - Sony, Technics, JVC, Pioneer etc.

Sticking to a Thorens theme they do a nice full auto with 2M Blue for £1.5K
https://www.thorens.com/en/thorens®-td-148a-2.html

Nice suggestion. This kind of thing would be appropriate I think. He is more fragile due to illness and the less anxiety, the better.

He already has an Ortofon( not sure which but it was about £500). He intends to use this. The Rosewood is sentimental and he had it with his LP12 some years ago. Technics sounds like a good choice. I’ve heard good things. thanks
I sent my Koetsu to Expert Stylus Company but Goldring is also another option.

Nice suggestion. This kind of thing would be appropriate I think. He is more fragile due to illness and the less anxiety, the better.
I sold a lot of Technics SL-10 and derivatives, many to seniors, back when I were a lad. Lift the lid, place the record on, close the lid, and press start; it doesn't get much easier than that.

Trouble is, these seem to go for a lot more money used than I recall selling them for new. Also, one doesn't want to be faced with repairing one of these now long in the tooth decks.

Fully automatic is the way to go as one enters ones golden years, though.

SL-10_DA26-04M182_4-2_IMG6634p.JPG

advertisement

Back