advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

I think without software support there is no way JW can finish this DAC off. Software design, debugging and testing is a skill JW simply doesn't have.... Let's pray I'm very wrong.

I would suggest he move onto the Vfets now.
He could have Microsoft on board doing the software, it still would be dead in the water.

He could have Microsoft on board doing the software, it still would be dead in the water.
I understand your sentiment, but from my point of view it's the software that's preventing a prototype coming into existence....this was always left to Jarek to sort out and he left under a cloud a few years ago. JW is capable of the electronic and even the mechanical design and implementation of a DAC... But imv not the software. Hence the project has hit the final brick wall.

I understand your sentiment, but from my point of view it's the software that's preventing a prototype coming into existence....this was always left to Jarek to sort out and he left under a cloud a few years ago. JW is capable of the electronic and even the mechanical design and implementation of a DAC... But imv not the software. Hence the project has hit the final brick wall.
Hahahaaaaaaaaaahaaaaa. He’s done us up like a kipper. Seriously?! A prototype after 10 years! Please stop kidding yourself. It’s gone. He’s a conman. We’ve been conned. I posted as much on FB and challenged him to sue me. Guess what?

Let me guess, Spike: John Westlake finally caved in and admitted that all the money is lost and he has no means or way to honour his promise today. However, soon he will come into money bequeathed to him by a rich American uncle who died just last month. In order for John to claim his inheritance money he needs to travel to the States. Here's the rub. All John's private money is tied up in a hedge fund pension scheme that he can't access at such short notice. Thus he needs each of his investors - those still alive, that is - to donate another £250 to enable him to travel to the US to claim his inheritance. For that extra money donated, he promises to gift us a little magic Lakewest mm stage encased in a CNC-carved block of 99.9% pure aluminium. This will be delivered by Christmas 2024 and all will be good.

Still waiting for my Detox, no I’m not, just kidding!
Hate to see this thread die a slow death considering all. ”Only” lost some 300GBP since I managed to sell my FDAC investment.

May I remind 90% of you all that you bashed my proposal on PM this venture, hindering JohnW’s creativity was the main objective not having a PM. See where we are now, think I got support from a couple of investors.

Anyway, keeping the thread alive for some time.

/The PM that never got hired (for free)

I remember your post / offer quite well. I was on the 10% watching the DAC project derail. But at £500 or so, I guess I'm also on the smaller contributors list to John's new audio studio, new electronic equipment or new AMG.

It's funny how things go. I use to come here a couple of times a day, now I come here once every couple of years. just to make sure things haven't gone anywhere.

No news is bad news, as always. Not that I am surprised. I suppose I am a sucker for broken promises, or have early onset dementia (not that that diagnosis is funny - my aunt Karen was diagnosed with this aged 52). Her eldest daughter, my cousin, just visited me here and she is healthy and fit at 78.

Is John Westlake still alive and kicking? Should I worry that he kicks the bucket before he has completed his life's work that is my VFETS?

I feel for you @Rosewind, as you're one of the biggest investors here and mostly just wanted the amps which were supposed to be the easy part of this project.

I vaguely recall, one of the reason John quoted as to why the Vfets weren't built a long time ago was the custom chassis. The chassis styling was supposed to complement the XDac or at least look and feel high-end. The tooling for this got mixed up with the XDac chassis. Also there were some triggering or communication requirements with the XDac that needed to be sorted out...but couldn't be done untill the XDac was working.

You mentioned 'worrying' in your post, maybe it's not for me to advise (I don't know your personal circumstances) but I'm sure most here have taken financial risks in their life and eventually get over any losses and move on.

These projects were always a risk, we never really knew what we were buying having never seen or heard it. There was clearly a small risk with a possible high upside. It was a very exciting time (I used to rush to get home to my computer to read all the posts and get involved in pages and pages of daily posts), particularly the first few years. I do remember you posting regularly then and getting John's attention (more than most dare I say).

May I humbly suggest to not 'worry' if possible as prolonged worrying is very bad for your health and there is next to nothing you can do about this situation. Just hang around here like the rest of us mugs and maybe just maybe a miracle might happen this Christmas (in-joke).

You have many fellow travellers here, take some strength and solice from that fact... We were all taken in by the excitement.... That's a memory that I do value... it was such fun.

Hope this cheers you up a bit.... You are not alone in the way you feel.

I feel for you @Rosewind, as you're one of the biggest investors here and mostly just wanted the amps which were supposed to be the easy part of this project.

I vaguely recall, one of the reason John quoted as to why the Vfets weren't built a long time ago was the custom chassis. The chassis styling was supposed to complement the XDac or at least look and feel high-end. The tooling for this got mixed up with the XDac chassis. Also there were some triggering or communication requirements with the XDac that needed to be sorted out...but couldn't be done untill the XDac was working.

You mentioned 'worrying' in your post, maybe it's not for me to advise (I don't know your personal circumstances) but I'm sure most here have taken financial risks in their life and eventually get over any losses and move on.

These projects were always a risk, we never really knew what we were buying having never seen or heard it. There was clearly a small risk with a possible high upside. It was a very exciting time (I used to rush to get home to my computer to read all the posts and get involved in pages and pages of daily posts), particularly the first few years. I do remember you posting regularly then and getting John's attention (more than most dare I say).

May I humbly suggest to not 'worry' if possible as prolonged worrying is very bad for your health and there is next to nothing you can do about this situation. Just hang around here like the rest of us mugs and maybe just maybe a miracle might happen this Christmas (in-joke).

You have many fellow travellers here, take some strength and solice from that fact... We were all taken in by the excitement.... That's a memory that I do value... it was such fun.

Hope this cheers you up a bit.... You are not alone in the way you feel.
Although not aimed at me directly . I am not prepared to move on and forget about it, rather hoping something will be produced this year . Otherwise I will be looking for legal advice in December.

Before I was tempted into joining, I was quite surprised at the excitement over the MDAC2. Then I got the bug myself and here I am.

I am not worried. I enjoyed the ride, but not the outcome.

I am busy sourcing a LEAK Stereo 20, a set of Tannoys and an SPU cartridge. That will be it for me, I think.

As for any legal action. Count me in.

I was lucky when it came to the Vfets, I would have invested there too, we're it not that I needed 12 of them! It was only the huge cost and box count that kept me away.

I run active Isobariks.

I bought a new DAC last year, a Holo Spring 3 with preamp and it does what I hoped the XDac would do.

The only thing that he seems to have done lately:

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital Edition 23

All are built around ESS's 9038Q2M chip, one per channel. Internally there is a gold-plated four-layer circuit board, housing newly designed separate power supplies for the analog and digital circuits, isolations and refined Class A circuits for the output stage. The headphone amplifier is more powerful than the previous model.

advertisement

Back