advertisement

The Hypex nCore build thread

You think so ?? This is what I did, now that is crazy. The n-Cores sit inside the Oak cases.
Now with a 4 box Paradise and 30Kg of vinyl spinner.

Very crazy, very happy.

P1000644.JPG

I am jealous :p

That doesn't seem too odd.

Are you using bananas / spades, or connecting speakers direct to the nc400 board?

Me, direct from hypex terminals to banana plugs into the Quads. so they can still be removed but the leads are only 300mm in total.
Seemed pointless adding another set of connectors.

Yep, I am tending to agree on the unnecessary extra connectors. I now have another little task for next weekend.

I take it your preamp out is balanced?

Hello everyone. I've no experience with electronics but have just completed one nc400 monobloc with the ghent audio cases.

My question is to anyone who can help is on the xlr female socket mounted to the chassis. I had with no wires connected a chassis continuity between Pin 1. But no cotinuity between Pins 2 &3 and the chassis. Now I have completed the build I thought I would check the earth points to make sure everything is ok. But now I have continuity between the earth on the chassis to Pins 1,2&3 and also to the speaker wires. Is this normal or have I got a short in the xlr wire soldering.

Just thought I'd check before I turn it on and connect to a speaker

many thanks

But now I have continuity between the earth on the chassis to Pins 1,2&3 and also to the speaker wires. Is this normal or have I got a short in the xlr wire soldering

No that doesn't sound normal. One thing I found interesting though... I have been PM'ing with adzcaad and before he started the build he said he measured conductivity between Pin1 and the ground pin. While I can't remember exactly, I am pretty sure I never had that, and that was the reason was why I ran a short jumper between Pin1 and the ground pin so that Pin1 would be earthed to the chassis. I don't know if that is relevant to his current situation (possibly not) but thought I'd mention it.
It sounds like there is some kind of wiring issue... adzcaad perhaps you can take some close-up photos of your wiring, maybe that will help us to identify any problem...

Hi Guys, Gday Ben. Thanks for you're thoughts.

I did not have a continuity setting on my Multi Meter and was just setting it to Ohm resistance on any value. When I got any reading change at all I assumed I had continuity. I did this with just the IEC wired and the XLR socket installed to check the earth was connecting with the chassis. Got a reading value change when I put the probe on the earth wire I installed and Pin 1 and the ground Pin. So I assumed I had continuity. When later I installed the amp,smps and connected everything up I thought I'd do another check before I fired it up. I was confused when I got a resistance value change not knowing what that value was. Hope I'm making myself clear as my understanding of electronics was zero before this build. Just taught myself by reading the comments here. I called some one and they explained to me that I didn't have continuity at all between Pin 2&3 and the ground.

I had connected the Blue wire to Pin 2, White to Pin 3, Shielding to Pin 1 and the Nampon to the ground Pin.

So I went ahead and connected up to my source and powered it all up. Just beautiful music. Very happy and have been very appreciative of all the posts here. Very interesting reading.Ok off to listen to some music. take care everyone.

Few updates I made last week:

1. Silver thermal compound paste underneath the nc400 modules
2. Shielded the case work with copper tape
3. Removed soldered hookup wire and speaker terminals, installed Duelund 2.0 wire, clamped from the amp module direct to speakers (now about 1.5' of wire for each amp).

I'm very happy I made the effort, and can recommend all of the above heartily.

I had a look into CAD drawing a 3D machined single billet a la Linn/Devialet for a pair of Hypex Ncores in a box with SMPS 600 PSU each and a soft start module. Speaker outs. XLR in and enough metal to act as a pretty good heatsink. With machining done in china I think its doable to get a half dozen made for about £500 each with a bead blasted anodised finish -- probably a bit more for chromated polished finish. I have half a mind to make the centre well bit enough to take a OLED display and some sort of microcontroller as an overall interface for, say Volumio etc... build the DAC in. Roon is pretty spectacular.

This was just a quick sketch based on pcb designs on a 6061 billet (I would prefer 6351 for bead blast and maybe better still for chromated polished) dims are 50mm x 300 x 300 and minimal routing 46mm deep for PSU, 36mm for core well, 35mm for soft start, some extra routing to do but in all a nice box. Still working on the back. Idea is to hang or stand flat.

This is just quick and dirty sketch with no real attention to webbing or cutter stresses -- just to get an estimate of machine time and the amount of metal hacked out as I did on my Stribe and Monocoque cases...

Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 19.58.06 by c g, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 17.32.43 by c g, on Flickr

But for £50 for a pair of ally project boxes I would be inclined to just get those and tuck it out the way. Under the speakers or somewhere.

This is obviously a little bit crazy, but I quite like it, and might follow suit.

I was planning on doing ultra short speaker cable runs, as the Obelisks' terminals are underneath the cabinets, and will be positioning the amps behind each speaker. Might try doing this with Duelund 2.0

What about just putting the Amps in the bottom of the Obelisks?

advertisement

Back