advertisement

The Hypex nCore build thread

Have you had any issues with heat? Mine get a bit warm during use but certainly not hot.

Same. Mine get warm to the touch, but I think they shouldn't really, had the Ghent addressed heat sinking and/or ventilation a bit better.

Of course, I have exacerbated this by internally shielding the cases with copper tape. They still only ever get a bit warm, though.

Perhaps I notice this because my previous Bel Canto amps were always stone cold.

I purchased 2 Nord IQ NC500 monoblocks and can assure you that they are really great sounding and great value.
They are well made and you will not find fault with them

Did you buy with the standard buffer boards or the upgrades? What was delivery time like? How are they sounding compared with what they replaced?

Not when NC500 boards are supposedly available to OEMs for 89 Euros.

They aren't available anymore.

Hypex have some new Ncore based tech coming out over the coming months which supersedes those boards and make it much easier for system integrators to produce amps albeit at a higher price point.

I suspect some integrators have a small stick pile left of the NC500 boards but potential purchasers may be better waiting.

Watch this space.

Stefan

Hi Stefan

Is this a fact? HYPEX nc500 has been dropped from the catalog?

How do you know this if I may ask?

Many thanks

They aren't available anymore.

Hypex have some new Ncore based tech coming out over the coming months which supersedes those boards and make it much easier for system integrators to produce amps albeit at a higher price point.

I suspect some integrators have a small stick pile left of the NC500 boards but potential purchasers may be better waiting.

Watch this space.

Stefan

Did you buy with the standard buffer boards or the upgrades? What was delivery time like? How are they sounding compared with what they replaced?
Hi Decameron yes originally supplied with standard buffers and sound great, smooth and detailed.
I have purchased the upgraded boards and have not tried them yet but in a few days time I will post my findings.

The NC500 Modules are still a current product and available to purchase from Hypex. I had a batch arrive this week and will be ordering more in the next couple of days.

The NC500 Modules are still a current product and available to purchase from Hypex. I had a batch arrive this week and will be ordering more in the next couple of days.

Interesting, they don't appear on my list anymore.

*edit, just looked again and they are there again

I have now fitted my Nord NC500 monoblocks with the uprated boards and op amps.

I originally decided on the Burson V5 discrete op amps, but Nord also very kindly sent me the Sparkos to compare with them as well.

Fitting was quick and easy with the instructions provided but Nord- IQ will do it for you if you prefer.
I should add that inside the amplifiers are very neatly laid out and the new buffer boards seem to be very good quality.

With either op amp sound wise the treble is probably slightly more natural than before and overall the sound is fuller. Of the two the Sparkos gives more of a fuller warmer sound perhaps because it is class A.
I felt the bass seemed slightly deeper and more controlled with both op amps but there is not a lot in it.
Overall I do prefer the subtle changes that both these op amps give.
There is also slightly more detail than before I notice even more things in my recordings that I had not noticed before particulary with the Bursons.

Out of the two I prefer the Burson V5 because they just sound slightly more natural (accurate) on musical instruments but again there is not a lot between them.
Maybe because I like music as opposed to singing the Bursons suit me best.
The Sparkos in my system seemed a little too smooth on most of my recordings.
The Sparkos seem to suit singing, female vocals sound very good.
Obviously the rest of your system, room and the type of music you like may make a difference as to which is best for you.

The Bursons are brighter sounding than the Sparkos in my system and I do have a couple of Cds where I think if I listened for many hours I may get listening fatigue whereas the Sparkos would probably stop that. But the rest of my music sounds better to me with the Bursons. Perhaps I could make up some sort of switching arrangement betweem op amps.

So summing up my impressions over standard op amps:-
Sparkos much smoother,marginally better bass, more detailed
Burson marginally smoother, marginally better bass, more detailed, more accurate and detailed.

For the record the rest of my System is an Audiolab 8200CDQ with built in pre amp. And Troels Gravesen designed Illumina 66 floorstanders.
On the Audiolab I use the Optimum Transient filter.
The CD player will be replaced in a few months time with a Lakewest FDAC with built in CD slot.
With regard to the speakers I used a 1R5 resistor to the ring radiator tweeters thus they are not bright speakers having as Troels Gravesen calls it the BBC dip. On the other hand my room is quite bright as it has a laminate floor with just a rug between my listening posistion and the speakers.
I am giving you this information as it could explain why I felt the Sparkos was too smooth most of the time. But also I am 68 this month and my HF hearing may not be so good anymore.

I ordered the full Ncore 400 kit which duly arrived, sadly the connectors between amp module and PSU were missing so have mailed them to ask them to send me them. Just thought I'd give people a heads up to look out for this problem if you have ordered from the new batch of complete kits.

Also, if you're new to all this a hint. Attach the ground cable to the foot screw at the start when you're putting all four feet on, it's a lot easier than leaving it till most things are installed.

From facebook:

Hypex is attending the ISE show in Amsterdam this year. We've got some great new amplifiers for you and a very cool looking new booth! Visit us in: HALL 7 / BOOTH Q215

Does anyone know more about those new amplifiers?

Well I know about the new OEM boards, and have posted about them before, further up this thread. Not really new technology, just easier to use for OEMs.

Well I know about the new OEM boards, and have posted about them before, further up this thread. Not really new technology, just easier to use for OEMs.

Should I postpond my investment in the NC400 diy kit that was my concern. Has anyone compared the NC400 vs NC500 in SQ?

Same tech really, the nc500 doesn't have a buffer which needs doing by the integrator which is probably the biggest difference. The new boards may well enable you to buy a finished and for the same price as the current kit boards though.

Stdfan

advertisement

Back