advertisement

The future of classical music

He does show his Russian roots, Firebird is the peak of that, but he was a friend and contemporary of Boulanger, and the 1912 ballets were written for Diaghilev and the Paris Ballet. He was very much influenced by the French scene as well. He spent a large chunk of his life in France. He’s hard to pin down because he’s a musical magpie, but whilst he may have studied with Rimsky Korsakov, he was much more influenced by French artistic agitateurs.
The agitateurs were from all around Europe and the world. Diaghilev’s outfit was called Ballets Russes. As the name indicates, the crew was mostly Russian, although Diaghilev drew talent from all around Europe.

There was a lot going on in Paris in those years. Stravinsky certainly picked up influences there, but he also influenced the French scene just as much. His seminal works were composed in a few years between the death of his mentor Rimsky-Korsakov and the beginning of his prolonged stays in France and Switzerland. Firebird (1909) and Petrushka (1911) are full of Russian themes, and Rites of Spring (1913) also seems very much part of this Russian period. One could argue that life in France ushered in his neo-classical period.

Stockhausen was doing that sort of stuff before rock musos even knew what a flanger was! Try Mixtur (5 orchestral groups vs. a ring modulator).

This was 1964!

Remember the whole notion of electronic music came from the classical world. They invented the technology and techniques. No way in hell people like Tangerine Dream through to Squarepusher or Aphex Twin could exist without Stockhausen, Pierre Henry, GRM studios etc. They predate Moog, Buchla, Arp etc.
Hmm I guess I don't really know what classical music is then...that sounds like messing about with violins and other orchestral instruments. It's also not really listenable!

TBH I doubt that Stokhausen or Boulez represent the *future* of 'classical music'. As I think one political leader said to another in the past, "You were the future, once..."

These days I suspect it is more likely to be from various others - e.g. one of my favourite Proms this year was the one with Anoushka Shankar. Really enjoyed that, and I expect Asian/African/etc music to affect 'western classical music' more in the future. In more traditional terms I've enjoyed in recent years first hearings of works by Whiteacre, as well as by Part and others.

Many recent compositions have, for me, been *far* better than the flood of "two farts and a raspberry" we were subjected to a few decades ago. erm IMHO. :) What will endure, only time will tell. But I suspect that some works are already ones that will maintain themselves, e.g. ones like Gorecki's 3rd symphony because they have an impact on the listener.

Yes, those will really persuade the unbelievers. Possibilities redefined. I'm converted.

He did it partly to jolt the bourgoisie, to rattle them up.

But I'm going to save time & money by listening to a diesel truck or a jet engine and get the overtones from that to inspire me.

You've missed the point. It's physical. The point is that you don't just listen, you watch the bizarre movements of the cellist. There's a strong circus element. So you're going to have to watch the diesel truck.

Yes, those will really persuade the unbelievers.

Ah, now there's something interesting. Because I believe that formally Lachenmann's music is quite traditional. He deliberately put these unexpected noises in a traditional classical music form to confound the unbelievers. (This is just something I've read, I've never checked it out.)

Fir me Pression is poised, delicate, subtle, refined. That being said, I've not heard that youtube clip.

Very much enjoying these lectures which I've found on youtube. I saw him in London give talks, but he sometimes seems much more intense here.

advertisement

Back