advertisement

The future of classical music

I think that the future of classical music is movie music. The real talented composers do films now.
The rest is just unlistenable.

14 years on, it obviously had a future then as Classic FM is booming. The future of classical (or what is usually defined by the terminology) music is everlasting.

Tons of amazingly good recent stuff; Arvo Part, Johan Johansson, Riley, Reich, Gorecki etc etc. Huge amounts of amazing fairly recent music that will stay the distance, an active classical performance market and a wealth of astonishing young talent going through places like RNCM. There will obviously be a performance dip during covid 19, but I bet a lot of fresh composing is happening thanks to social distancing.

I think that the future of classical music is movie music. The real talented composers do films now.

Some film music has attained classical status and will presumably continue in that vein, but will always be associated with the film it was composed for, unlike the centuries of music beforehand.

Don't understand your second sentence. D'you mean that you don't have the musical depth and breadth to accommodate and appreciate this genre?

I have listened to classical music since I was 10. My first record buy was classical music.
What is composed today will never reach the heights of what came before.
Stravinsky is the limit. What he composed is unlistenable to me. Like Holst.
No melody, no music.

If only someone could tell me what the hell on earth defines "classical", most especially modern/current classical? Lack of a guitar?

Seems to me that a major part of definition is minority interest - great - plenty of that to be had.
Where current "classical" composers struggle is that unlike 100+ years ago, there are no private benefactors who will pay to feed them, but miraculousy, they still come through.

See also the "Another Timbre" thread.

I have listened to classical music since I was 10. My first record buy was classical music.
What is composed today will never reach the heights of what came before.
No melody, no music.

Isn't this the same as "jazz was great until 194x ? Or 195x ? Or 196x " ?

In his lovely book about classical music, Stephen Fry suggests that after Aaron Copland, Britten, Stravinsky, Bernstein and a couple of others I can't remember, the old classical music as general audience entertainment has split. On the one hand stuff for a very small "in crowd" that follows modern, experimental compositions, which most people understandably find incomprehensible. On the other, music written for films, which appeals to the general audience.

No melody, no music.

Must admit, I've never appreciated Igor, but Gustav is a different kettle of fish; his Planet Suite alone contains so much melody, including Jupiter (I vow to thee, my country....). One definition of classical music stops at 1830. I'd say that 1830 was bang in the middle if you omit renaissance stuff.

advertisement

Back