advertisement

The forthcoming demise of the Conservative minority government, May 2017-? part II

I think I'd quite like to see Boris sitting on the bridge opposite Piccadilly station with a polystyrene cup asking for change. With a stick thin Gove on a piece of string by his side, staring hopefully up at the commuters walking past with Greggs bags of bacon and sausage rolls.

"Spare a pony for a manifesto? You all used to pay for my grace and favour mansion, why not now?"

As the McPolice start to walk over, contemplating the likely bounds of the definition of reasonable force...

OK, this is never likely to happen, but here are a couple of snippets from a Guardian article on the new leader. https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-leader-could-avoid-immediate-confidence-vote
Theresa May has a working majority of just six with the support of the Democratic Unionist party. This is expected to fall to five after the results of Thursday’s byelection in Peterborough if Labour or the Brexit party win. This means just three Conservatives or DUP MPs would have to withhold their support for a prime minister to fail to form a government.

As a matter of constitutional propriety, May will only be able to resign as prime minister if she can tell the Queen that her successor commands a majority. A Downing Street spokesman said May would resign when “she says to the Queen that she is stepping aside and believes that someone else can command the confidence of the house”. Her spokesman said a vote does not need to take place for May to believe that the new leader has the confidence of the Commons.
Et 2? ;)

Theresa May has a working majority of just six with the support of the Democratic Unionist party. This is expected to fall to five after the results of Thursday’s byelection in Peterborough if Labour or the Brexit party win. This means just three Conservatives or DUP MPs would have to withhold their support for a prime minister to fail to form a government.
Errr, I thought Peterborough was labour already as the by election was called after the conviction of perverting the law by the labour MP Fiona Onasanya. Also does not 5-3 = +2?

Now if Sinn Fein were to take their seats in Westminster, it would be over ( unless we get any Labour MPs like Hoey any Mann propping the cadaver up again).

Also does not 5-3 = +2?
Depends whether they abstain or vote against their party

SF will never take their seats at Westminster and even if they did they’re pro-leave I think.

They are remain aren’t they? They want a unified Ireland, and given the rest of it is proudly EU it is hugely in their advantage to ensure NI doesn’t leave with the idiots and racists in Little England.

Charlie Elphicke has been charged with three counts of sexual assault against two women.

The MP for Dover, is alleged to have assaulted one woman in 2007 and a second woman twice in 2016.
Mr Elphicke, 48, is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court on 6 September.
A spokesman for the Crown Prosecution Service said it had made the decision to charge Mr Elphicke "after reviewing a file of evidence from the Metropolitan Police".
Mr Elphicke was suspended from the party in November 2017 after allegations were made against him, but had the whip reinstated in December 2018 for a vote of confidence in Theresa May.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-49072464

It sounds like he didn’t even go via the “my wife is very understanding” square on the board and is instead going straight to court. I don’t suppose any of Yaxley-Lennon and Gerald Batten’s boys will be bothering to film outside court. Elphicke isn’t brown enough.

British army 'leaning on' under-18s to help fill its ranks

Britain’s stretched army is increasingly relying on 16- and 17-year-olds to fill its ranks, the youngsters accounting for nearly 30% of those enlisted last year, the highest proportion since the start of the decade. Recruits are also more likely to come from poorer backgrounds, such as on the edges of cities in the north of England, according to data from the Child Rights International Network (CRIN), which campaigns against recruiting under-18s. Charlotte Cooper, campaigns coordinator with CRIN, said: “The army is leaning on teenagers from the most deprived backgrounds to fix its recruitment crisis, using them to fill the riskiest roles because it can’t persuade enough adults to enlist.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...h-army-leaning-on-under-18s-to-fill-its-ranks

advertisement

Back