advertisement

The Food Thread

shop online only, make a list of meals for the week, and then ingredients before you shop and only order what you need to make the recipes on you list.

Really? Boring.

Sorry, let me explain a little. Before my disability allowance was increased to actually take account of my conditions (chronic arthritis, rheumatism, and M.E., plus a few other issues), my choice of foods was largely limited to what was cheap or on special offer, and what had reduced stickers on it.

One welcome side effect of this was that I had (and still have) an incredibly varied diet, and tried many things that I simply wouldn't have thought of.

Planning a week ahead is a good idea, but I can do that from my (yellow stickered reduced item) stocked freezer. I still enjoy the spontaneity of finding a bargain as well as the challenge of deciding what to cook with it. Surplus bargains get shared with my parents and used to keep the freezer stocked. Sometimes the bargains and reduced items are scarce, that's when the freezer gets raided.

All time favourite breakfast is Shit on a Raft.

Oh yes. Kidneys and gravy on fried bread. I prefer thick cut, toasted wholemeal bread these days... but damn. Haven't made that in a while.

It's nothing like, but it is just as nice - try microwaving corned beef until it goes mushy, and spread onto hot "buttered" (vitalite for me these days) toast.

Oh yes. Kidneys and gravy on fried bread. I prefer thick cut, toasted wholemeal bread these days... but damn. Haven't made that in a while.

It's nothing like, but it is just as nice - try microwaving corned beef until it goes mushy, and spread onto hot "buttered" (vitalite for me these days) toast.

Why on earth would you not use butter instead of that plastic spread?

Really? Boring.

Sorry, let me explain a little. Before my disability allowance was increased to actually take account of my conditions (chronic arthritis, rheumatism, and M.E., plus a few other issues), my choice of foods was largely limited to what was cheap or on special offer, and what had reduced stickers on it.

One welcome side effect of this was that I had (and still have) an incredibly varied diet, and tried many things that I simply wouldn't have thought of.

Planning a week ahead is a good idea, but I can do that from my (yellow stickered reduced item) stocked freezer. I still enjoy the spontaneity of finding a bargain as well as the challenge of deciding what to cook with it. Surplus bargains get shared with my parents and used to keep the freezer stocked. Sometimes the bargains and reduced items are scarce, that's when the freezer gets raided.

I think gintonic works full time, and not regular hours so difficult to grab the bargains.

I am also have a few issues, and thankfully now retired. We tend to buy only to a list also, but having browsing time allows us to bag a few deals here and there.

Rustling at certain times has always happened here and will continue.

Bloss

Why on earth would you not use butter instead of that plastic spread?

I have issues with dairy products. I can tolerate a certain amount of the good stuff, so tend to substitute where I can to allow the ongoing consumption of PROPER cheese. There are times when only butter will do - but I find vitalite tolerable.

Really? Boring.

nonsense - we have a huge amount of fun on a Thursday night devising the menu for the week, choosing ingredients - in many cases Ocado has a far wider range than any supermarket. They offer way more in the organic and free range goods than most supermarkets/markets

There is some stuff we will go to Waitrose for.

and not regular hours so difficult to grab the bargains.

Thanks Chris my hours are reasonably regular, but I do work fulltime - usually 0730 to about 1800 sometimes later, and I am sometimes required to be available on a Saturday. Louise works similar hours, so we dont have a great deal of spare time, and we play hard in the little free time we have.

Online shopping has given us a few hours time back. Given us the time to visit my elderly parents more frequently than once a month.

nonsense - we have a huge amount of fun on a Thursday night devising the menu for the week, choosing ingredients - in many cases Ocado has a far wider range than any supermarket. They offer way more in the organic and free range goods than most supermarkets/markets

There is some stuff we will go to Waitrose for.

Thanks Chris my hours are reasonably regular, but I do work fulltime - usually 0730 to about 1800 sometimes later, and I am sometimes required to be available on a Saturday. Louise works similar hours, so we dont have a great deal of spare time, and we play hard in the little free time we have.

Online shopping has given us a few hours time back. Given us the time to visit my elderly parents more frequently than once a month.

In that case, totally understandable and worthwhile - especially with pressing time constraints. Disability has brought SOME positive aspects to my life, I suppose!

I have more fun thinking ahead "on the fly" - but - whatever works for you. I share a flat/food budget with my ex, and she totally fails to give a shit with regards to choosing foodstuffs and planning meals - so she gets what she's damn well given. If she was more involved in this area, it would be more interesting I think - having someone to bounce ideas off is greatly stimulating.

I used to love the Waitrose in Cardiff town centre, the reductions were epic. These days, Asda and some of the "pound stretcher" ilk of stores are within walking distance. Also a Lidls, but that's pretty much at the far end of my mobility range, and if I'm trying to pull my wheelie trolley home with too heavy a load then it wrecks me. Asda gets most of my custom.

I shall end this post with something I overheard a couple of years back - a department head talking to one of the phone operators at a company I used to work at.

"I'm off to Sainsburys after my shift, I like shopping there."
"Really? My wife likes Sainsburys too... it keeps the riff-raff out of Waitrose."

My favourite breakfast (especially if I have a hangover) is Huevos Rancheros. Corn tortillas fried crispy, a layer of refried beans, fried egg on top of that, hot salsa poured over it and finally topped with cheese (queso fresco if you can find it, feta if you can't but even cheddar will work).
If I'm feeling adventurous I'll make the tortillas, refied beans and salsa, if not I'll use bought-in ones.

My favourite breakfast (especially if I have a hangover) is Huevos Rancheros. Corn tortillas fried crispy, a layer of refried beans, fried egg on top of that, hot salsa poured over it and finally topped with cheese (queso fresco if you can find it, feta if you can't but even cheddar will work).
If I'm feeling adventurous I'll make the tortillas, refied beans and salsa, if not I'll use bought-in ones.

God, that sounds absolutely horrific!

I've never had huevos rancheros but I think it would work. I do like the Spanish take on breakfast, the tostadas with tomatoes, garlic and oil.

Not if you use decent corn tortillas, refried beans and salsa, which means not anything you can buy from a supermarket.

Has to be wheat tortillas , for some reason all the corn tortillas I had in Mexico were revolting.

Corn is for fritters, already fantasising about christmas lunch.

Breakfast is too early in the day for any form of cheese but a good salsa goes down a treat.

advertisement

Back