advertisement

The Food Thread

I.D.C.

pfm Member
Seafood dishes crept into another thread so thought it would be a good idea for a food thread. Here is a dish that inspired me to go home and do. Was in a French restaurant and had Frogs Legs while they were very nice it was the sauce that excited me. I called it champagne sauce. In a pan sweat off chopped shallots and garlic. Then add fish stock and reduce to concentrate flavour. Then add champagne or white wine reduce down till almost evaprated. Then stir in double cream stirring till a sauce consistency. Add half cut cherry tomatoes and chopped chives. This sauce is good for Lemon Sole have also used it with Scallops.

Just bought a new microwave and it's rather powerful.

Last night OH defrosted some sausages and they came out crispy.

Put them in a saucepan with some water and claret for 20 minutes then Nutribulleted, poured that over some onions fried in duck fat and thickened with a little batter.

Made a fantastically unctuous gravy for Toad Mk2.

Talking of drunken tomatoes, duck breast is half price in Tesco so last night consisted of..

Duck breast pan fried skin down then roast in the oven for ten minutes with piccolo tomatoes, then take the meat out drizzle tomatoes with balsamic and plate up with oven chips.

One of the nicest & simplest recipes I came across was while listening to the tour de France. I have no idea what the dish is called but basically as follows:
Place 2 salmon fillets (per person) into a medium depth dish
2 cloves of crush garlic
Knob of butter
Glass of white wine
Salt & pepper
Cover with tin foil
Oven for 20 mins or so at 180 degrees

Serve with roasted vegetables

Seafood dishes crept into another thread so thought it would be a good idea for a food thread. Here is a dish that inspired me to go home and do. Was in a French restaurant and had Frogs Legs while they were very nice it was the sauce that excited me. I called it champagne sauce. In a pan sweat off chopped shallots and garlic. Then add fish stock and reduce to concentrate flavour. Then add champagne or white wine reduce down till almost evaprated. Then stir in double cream stirring till a sauce consistency. Add half cut cherry tomatoes and chopped chives. This sauce is good for Lemon Sole have also used it with Scallops.

V nice. That sauce works with chicken or pork tenderloins. Obvs substitute the fish stock

Ok Let’s get some basic techniques down.

Starting with dicing onions.

Try not to laugh out loud when you hear this chef pronounce “onyons”

This sauce is good for Lemon Sole

This is simple and basic sauce, i cook similar, although I wouldnt use toms with Lemon Sole. I brunoise some cucumber and throw it in the sauce at the last minute to warm through. Or make it a butter champagne sauce, and add capers.

I saw this fish recipe on Escape to the Country being cooked in a restaurant in Cornwall the other day and want to try it:

Dredge bone-in sole in flour. Season with salt
Fry in a little oil for 2 minutes per side
Add butter, small brown shrimp and diced cucumber and continue cooking
Add a squeeze of lemon juice
Garnish with chopped dill and serve

I saw this fish recipe on Escape to the Country being cooked in a restaurant in Cornwall the other day and want to try it:

Dredge bone-in sole in flour. Season with salt
Fry in a little oil for 2 minutes per side
Add butter, small brown shrimp and diced cucumber and continue cooking
Add a squeeze of lemon juice
Garnish with chopped dill and serve

brilliant, light and delicious. No need for heavier cream based sauces when this is so good

sounds like it would be over cooked to me. 15 mins max when we do something similar

whats that for?
Depends on thickness of fish, I never pre-heat the oven either. I've cooked it pretty regularly but you know best eh? ;)

Can also be done on the stove top if you have a deep frying pan with a lid, start off skin side down with just the butter & garlic before adding wine.

I can't make food like this anymore as I have to drink wine with it. Nowadays its wine once or twice a month (if I'm good), and no dairy. I am discovering new and delicous ways to cook though. I used to be a huge fan of deserts, you know the school dinners stuff, Bread'n'butter pudding, Crumbles. Now I have to make do with rice pudding made with coconut milk and much less sugar, but that makes you more inventive. So I try a different approach, use Basmati rice as its low GI, non dairy milk, cardomon pods, vanilla, nutmeg, star anise, its quite nice, fragrant, but you don't get that satisfying fat and sugar hit.......I did have a very good vegan desert in a famous vegetarian restaurant once, not sure how easy it would be to replicate that at home though, I understand they make a cream substitute with chick pea juice. Ottolenghis books are very good for vegetable dishes, cooking with less meat and more veg makes for a greater variety of flavours, though you can't beat a pot of meat or fish with vegetables, the meat really adds that roundness and richness to the flavour.

We are both missed lunch, and are exhausted after a very long day, so it’s early vegetarian Szechuan take away for dinner: Kung Pao Tofu, Mu Shu Vegetables and sautéed Asparagus and Green Beans.

My fortune cookie said: Your talents will be recognized and suitably rewarded. Well, it’s about bloody time! :D

Hook,

Now that's a tasty supper.

By the way, every fortune is improved if you add "in bed" after the last word.

https://www.astrology.com/game/fortune-cookie.html

Vu2TCCu.png

Joe

advertisement

Back