advertisement

The Food Thread

I can't make food like this anymore as I have to drink wine with it. Nowadays its wine once or twice a month (if I'm good), and no dairy. I am discovering new and delicous ways to cook though. I used to be a huge fan of deserts, you know the school dinners stuff, Bread'n'butter pudding, Crumbles. Now I have to make do with rice pudding made with coconut milk and much less sugar, but that makes you more inventive. So I try a different approach, use Basmati rice as its low GI, non dairy milk, cardomon pods, vanilla, nutmeg, star anise, its quite nice, fragrant, but you don't get that satisfying fat and sugar hit.......I did have a very good vegan desert in a famous vegetarian restaurant once, not sure how easy it would be to replicate that at home though, I understand they make a cream substitute with chick pea juice. Ottolenghis books are very good for vegetable dishes, cooking with less meat and more veg makes for a greater variety of flavours, though you can't beat a pot of meat or fish with vegetables, the meat really adds that roundness and richness to the flavour.

I've given up sweet treats apart from one day a week, and I'm trying to bring in a regular meat free day to chez GruntPuppy. As my ex has a problem with alcohol it's rare that I bring any over the threshold, but to be fair I can live without it. I really miss the school dinner type puddings (especially as I'm damn good at making them). Since I've taken on this pup I've lost 4 inches in waistline in just under 2 weeks, trying to eat more healthily is difficult, especially when you've had 50 years of indulgent food, but I figure since the exercise is enforced I may as well make the effort. Never thought I'd look forward to steamed fish with lemon, with salad though!

I can't make food like this anymore as I have to drink wine with it. Nowadays its wine once or twice a month (if I'm good), and no dairy. I am discovering new and delicous ways to cook though. I used to be a huge fan of deserts, you know the school dinners stuff, Bread'n'butter pudding, Crumbles. Now I have to make do with rice pudding made with coconut milk and much less sugar, but that makes you more inventive. So I try a different approach, use Basmati rice as its low GI, non dairy milk, cardomon pods, vanilla, nutmeg, star anise, its quite nice, fragrant, but you don't get that satisfying fat and sugar hit.......I did have a very good vegan desert in a famous vegetarian restaurant once, not sure how easy it would be to replicate that at home though, I understand they make a cream substitute with chick pea juice. Ottolenghis books are very good for vegetable dishes, cooking with less meat and more veg makes for a greater variety of flavours, though you can't beat a pot of meat or fish with vegetables, the meat really adds that roundness and richness to the flavour.

Ottelenghi book and food are fantastic to show how yummy and easy veggie and vegan food can be. We holiday in Turkey often, and the Turkish cuisine is amongst the most varied and interesting I have ever enjoyed.

Recommended

Unfortunately I'm up north so there is a dearth of decent restaurants.
We did go to the Rick Stein place in Winchester on our way to Southamton for a cruise holiday. and I had a lovely Hake on a bed of lentils with choritzo, it was excellent and very tasty.

I've given up sweet treats apart from one day a week, and I'm trying to bring in a regular meat free day to chez GruntPuppy. As my ex has a problem with alcohol it's rare that I bring any over the threshold, but to be fair I can live without it. I really miss the school dinner type puddings (especially as I'm damn good at making them). Since I've taken on this pup I've lost 4 inches in waistline in just under 2 weeks, trying to eat more healthily is difficult, especially when you've had 50 years of indulgent food, but I figure since the exercise is enforced I may as well make the effort. Never thought I'd look forward to steamed fish with lemon, with salad though!
Yes it can be difficult but once you start to change your diet you realise that you palate adjusts and get use to less sugar/fat. You can slip back now and again, but ime you don't fully go back to your old ways. Plus when you start to feel and see the benefits that's a big incentive. In my case my blood sugar was creeping up and I don' want to develop serious disease like diabetes and its complications.

Yes it can be difficult but once you start to change your diet you realise that you palate adjusts and get use to less sugar/fat. You can slip back now and again, but ime you don't fully go back to your old ways. Plus when you start to feel and see the benefits that's a big incentive. In my case my blood sugar was creeping up and I don' want to develop serious disease like diabetes and its complications.

I agree, I have never had a particularly sweet tooth, but after giving up smoking my weight rose significantly. I now have portion controlled carbs, and no added sugar. Over time, my palate now rejects sweet stuff.

I agree, I have never had a particularly sweet tooth, but after giving up smoking my weight rose significantly. I now have portion controlled carbs, and no added sugar. Over time, my palate now rejects sweet stuff.

Oh dear, what about the gintonics, beer and wine

Bloss

Yes absolutely, your palate/body seems to know what is good for you given the chance!

Gonna try and cut down on sugar, salt, carbs and meat, trouble is the supermarkets are full of the stuff, especially in prominent positions.

shop online only, make a list of meals for the week, and then ingredients before you shop and only order what you need to make the recipes on you list.

Great idea - unfortunately going to the shop is the highlight of the week for both of us. We have a coffee out too if we're feeling especially bold!

Great idea - unfortunately going to the shop is the highlight of the week for both of us. We have a coffee out too if we're feeling especially bold!

you dont dawdle around the aisles as well? I reckon super markets should only allow dawdlers in after midnight

I've recently developed a penchant for slightly burnt toast with Scott's Porage Oats: one bit of toast plus one spoonful of porage = the breakfast equivalent of crack cocaine!

Second-day (huge) homemade Lasagne. There is enough for tomorrow as well. 10cc stylee.

Served with a side salad.

advertisement

Back