advertisement

The Death of the Vinyl Revival

My 22 year old nephew tells me there is a new, new vinyl revival happening - but then he does refer to records as ‘vinyls’….

Personally, I receive at least four email every day offering me new and rereleased vinyl, so if there is a decline it’s pretty subtle.

What drew me into whole albums as a kid - when all my mates had Now That's... and greatest hits, or just top 40 singles taped off the Sunday night chart rundown- was all the great tracks I discovered that weren't "hits" and that is still the case for me now.

I find a lot of people skip around albums just to hear the singles/hits but for me they're never the stand out tracks. Streaming has just concentrated this format down even more, now you don't need to skip around and just curate a never ending playlist of bangers/singles/hits.

I wouldn't mind betting all the Swifties and Lana fans buying the vinyl just see it purely as merch or similar.

A lot of my friends and especially their kids don't really do "albums" anymore. They mainly seem to be using playlists on spotify now.

The only vinyl I need is 45s for these occasionally when I want to ring the changes.

I haven't bought an album in over twenty years.

The only new 45 I've bought was this, over two years ago, as it's sort of "retro" and fits in with the one on the right which is for MoTown, Soul and similar.

Last week I bought a cheap second-hand copy of this. I've known it for most of my life, but never had a copy.
This is for the 50/60s section in the one on the left.

These live in our summerhouse at the bottom of our garden. Too much of my other "stuff" in our small house.

Seem to be many articles around at the moment covering the subject. Here's another

And another

My 25 year old daughter buys vinyl and more to the point she bought me a vinyl LP for Christmas. She plays it on a beautiful valve Hacker GP42 that I restored for her for Christmas about 5 years ago. Its perfect for the younger listener as it is an all in one case and portable, but best of all it sounds wonderful. Ideal for the young who don't have the space for a typical Hi-Fi system. She also streams music from Spotify and Apple music, but when she hears an album she really likes, she buys it on vinyl.

And another

It’s essentially a profit grab now & that’s fine but I feel there’s a lot of interesting music which never gets near a physical release. If you look at the overall numbers, ‘owning’ is still pretty niche.

What Dexter Gordon LP? My ‘EU copyright loophole pirate’ alarm is ringing very loudly.

PS You want One Flight Up and Go to start with. I know the former is dear being a Tone Poet, but some records are genuinely worth the money and more, and that is one. One of the very best Blue Notes IMHO.
Over the last few days, I’ve listened to several DG albums and the ones that have stood out have been “Our Man in Paris” and the live set “Homecoming - Live At The Village Vanguard”. Must haves for any jazz fan, the latter can be had for peanuts.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
She plays it on a beautiful valve Hacker GP42 that I restored for her for Christmas about 5 years ago. Its perfect for the younger listener as it is an all in one case and portable, but best of all it sounds wonderful. Ideal for the young who don't have the space for a typical Hi-Fi system.
There’s a product that would find a market right now. A high quality all-in-one record player.

Reactions: GT
There’s a product that would find a market right now. A high quality all-in-one record player.
Absolutely, plus all valve, 3 actually, with a nice little push-pull output stage to boot. Best to buy a used one and have it properly restored. It would be too expensive to make one to this standard of quality today. No one would pay the price for it, but its a great idea!

advertisement

Back