advertisement

The Death of the Vinyl Revival

I’ve never bought any. The only compilations of any kind I have are a handful of label round ups, of tunes that would otherwise be impossible to find and / or be crazy expensive.
I've got loads. Lots of artists in the sixties seemed to have been mostly about the singles. I always pick up Supremes albums when I see them cheap but in truth the quality is pretty patchy (they were releasing five albums a year for most of the 60s!) and a couple of the various greatest hits comps are probably all I really need.

I’ve never really gone for them, I have the odd label sampler, often a freebie or very cheap.

However, as said earlier, we are generally non-typical on here. Look at the songwriters greatly enriched by the Bodyguard soundtrack & also how many bought The Eagles Greatest Hits. The latter was a decent pay day for JD Souther & Jackson Browne.

What drew me into whole albums as a kid - when all my mates had Now That's... and greatest hits, or just top 40 singles taped off the Sunday night chart rundown- was all the great tracks I discovered that weren't "hits" and that is still the case for me now.

I find a lot of people skip around albums just to hear the singles/hits but for me they're never the stand out tracks. Streaming has just concentrated this format down even more, now you don't need to skip around and just curate a never ending playlist of bangers/singles/hits.

I wouldn't mind betting all the Swifties and Lana fans buying the vinyl just see it purely as merch or similar.

What drew me into whole albums as a kid - when all my mates had Now That's... and greatest hits, or just top 40 singles taped off the Sunday night chart rundown- was all the great tracks I discovered that weren't "hits" and that is still the case for me now.

I find a lot of people skip around albums just to hear the singles/hits but for me they're never the stand out tracks. Streaming has just concentrated this format down even more, now you don't need to skip around and just curate a never ending playlist of bangers/singles/hits.

I wouldn't mind betting all the Swifties and Lana fans buying the vinyl just see it purely as merch or similar.
I had a group of friends who were all music snobs basically, we were probably insufferable but did buy albums. I don’t really know where this came from just random peer pressure. My dad did have a record collection though, probably 50 -100 or so LPs which was quite a lot back then.

Ah, so that's the difference; you may well be right. Maybe Tango had a touch of digital to it but scintillating sound regardless.
When it comes to quality of song content, that is a much tougher contest.

Two amazing albums.

Both recall the places I visited in '77 and '87. Easy access music that implants on the psyche, recalling the sound of jukeboxes in pubs at those timed albeit 10 years apart

I'd say it's not the music but the album format, most young folks have playlists with a diverse mix that goes all over the place with one track having little or nothing to do with the previous, I'd wager the chances of even quite a big fan of Little Simz doesn't want the vinyl album- young fan at least.

That’s a real shame. One thing that really struck me is just how well No Thank You is compiled as a coherent work. I view it very much as a classic ‘whole album’ in the vein of What’s Going On, DSOTM, To Pimp A Butterfly or whatever. It takes you on a journey, tells a story, ebbs and flows far beyond whatever tracks were the singles. Not just lyrically, but how it works musically, how it becomes more raw and poweful as it progresses. A lot of modern music still does this IME. The album format as a coherent arc is still very much a thing. A lot of thought clearly applied.

I read an interview with Keef where he said the proper way to enjoy / listen to Hackney Diamonds was on LP, and that digital is like a bland toy in comparison. That assumes it was recorded via analogue means…but assuming most (?) artists now record digitally, does that mean an LP will be an analogue copy of a digital master, and so, in effect, you’re listening to a digital copy? Apologies if this has been covered, but I’m really interested to know whether this is true. And if Hackney Diamonds would’ve been recorded digitally or not. It’s tough for the layman to find out.

Also, if it was recorded digitally, in the context of the above opinion what’s the difference between a stream and the LP in this regard?

I read an interview with Keef where he said the proper way to enjoy / listen to Hackney Diamonds was on LP, and that digital is like a bland toy in comparison. That assumes it was recorded via analogue means…but assuming most (?) artists now record digitally, does that mean an LP will be an analogue copy of a digital master, and so, in effect, you’re listening to a digital copy?
Or maybe it was just some shite the guy said?

I read an interview with Keef where he said the proper way to enjoy / listen to Hackney Diamonds was on LP, and that digital is like a bland toy in comparison. That assumes it was recorded via analogue means…but assuming most (?) artists now record digitally, does that mean an LP will be an analogue copy of a digital master, and so, in effect, you’re listening to a digital copy? Apologies if this has been covered, but I’m really interested to know whether this is true. And if Hackney Diamonds would’ve been recorded digitally or not. It’s tough for the layman to find out.

Also, if it was recorded digitally, in the context of the above opinion what’s the difference between a stream and the LP in this regard?
He’s just trying to shift product.

The only proper way to enjoy music is to listen to it regardless of format, Shirley?
Or maybe it was just some shite the guy said?
Enjoyable music is enjoyable on any format 😎

The Stones are not short of money, if they want to record fully analogue they can, and many of the top studios offer the facility, or some combination of analogue and digital. They could probably afford to set an analogue studio up on the moon if they wanted to!

Mastering. Different choices are almost always made between formats, some by necessity (e.g. vinyl can’t do the brickwalled ‘always on’ of the worst digital), some by intended market (e.g. no one is going to be listening to a record on a crowded noisy tube train, ok, some hipster inevitably has, but it isn’t the target market).

I bought Hackney Diamonds and it sounds both digital and heavily processed.
Nothing would make me happier than to be proved wrong because I could once and for all just forget about it.

I would be absolutely astonished if it was an analog recording. EVERYTHING is recorded digitally now.
I think they used the village studio which does have analogue desks (Neve 88r and something vintage) and student 24 track 2” machines. So it COULD have been recorded in analogue, and I would think those dinosaurs are well rehearsed enough to work on analogue.

So it’s definitely possible if not that probable (imho).

Considering the current vinyl revival and general nostalgia, it’s a nice talking point if they did.

Definitely possible, and a lot of big league artists argue very strongly for analogue from Neil Young through to Jack White etc. That’s before you get to the various audiophile options, e.g. Night Dreamer records do old-school direct cut. Only really applies to jazz as no one else can play well enough!

advertisement

Back