advertisement

The Coffee Thread

Up the page post, number 592.

Thank you. I have the same steam wand.

I suspect my issue is not the same, at least in part. Not only does the steam wand drip, but if I open the steam valve, and activate water through the group head, water comes out of the steam as if it too has been activated. My thoughts are that I may have an issue with the solenoid, though I may change the steam valve also. What are your thoughts?

Thank you. I have the same steam wand.

I suspect my issue is not the same, at least in part. Not only does the steam wand drip, but if I open the steam valve, and activate water through the group head, water comes out of the steam as if it too has been activated. My thoughts are that I may have an issue with the solenoid, though I may change the steam valve also. What are your thoughts?

Hi Geoff, been a long time since I've owned a GC and I live in a soft water area so I don't recall ever having this particular problem but a quick google says it's mainly down to scale build up or a dodgy valve.

There used to be a guy (thread below) who repaired the machines and sold refurbished ones, might be an idea to drop him an email but I've no idea if he's still active as that thread is 2010.

Video re removing the steam valve

Had a wee look online Geoff and came across this review below, are you maybe doing the same?

Otherwise, as you say, possibly a faulty solenoid.

Hot Water​

I like my americanos, and the good news is, the Gaggia Classic Evo Pro delivers piping hot, steamy water for those americanos (or for tea usage). I read complaints from people on the coffee forums that they think the Classic is busted somewhat for hot water delivery. “I open the steam wand and run the pump, but water comes out both the steam wand and grouphead! And it’s not hot enough!”.

They aren’t doing it right. The proper way is to flip on the steam switch before drawing water. This electronically closes the flow valve to the grouphead and only allows water to come out of the steam wand when the middle pump rocker switch is activated. Do it all immediately to get nice 90C water. Want it hotter? Flip the steam switch, wait 5 seconds, then open the steam knob and run the pump switch. The water is around 100C coming out of the wand (and sputtering quite a bit so be wary of burning yourself from any splashes).

I am really enjoying the Sao Pedro #1 from Roundhill Roastery at the moment. Notes of whisky and chocolate. It is an extra fermented batch from Brazil. It seems to work particularly well using a French Press.

I am really enjoying the Sao Pedro #1 from Roundhill Roastery at the moment. Notes of whisky and chocolate. It is an extra fermented batch from Brazil. It seems to work particularly well using a French Press.
Not dismissing it in any way, but it appears to originate from Sitio Sao Pedro #1 by Lourdes de Fatima Souza*, which is apparently in the Mantiqueira of Minas Gerais. If you search that "region" it turns out to be a Bairro in the city of Belo Horizonte (the capital of the state of Minas Gerais). Bit weird.

NB: only reason I did any digging is because I've visited Brazil on numerous occasions and I was just curious to know where it was from.

I rather like Lidl Bellarom Colombian single origin 454gm pkts of ground. Quite cheap and decent enough
Not tried that one. I'm a big fan of Aldi Italian, less so the French which is a bit over roasted to my taste. I buy beans for the B2C machine and ground for the French Press, it gives good results in both.

i.php

Gaggia Classic owners may be interested in a 3D printable tamper and portafilter holder that hangs from the side of the machine. I’m very pleased with mine - I think it’s rather neat. The printer file can be found here.

i.php

Gaggia Classic owners may be interested in a 3D printable tamper and portafilter holder that hangs from the side of the machine. I’m very pleased with mine - I think it’s rather neat. The printer file can be found here.
That latest Troels Gravesen speaker design looks absolutely bonkers, what's it sound like? I'm guessing that the midrange is horn loaded, how do you make the profile to get the right curve?

@oldius is water dripping out the steam wand even when the valve feels tightly closed? If so, then your valve is knackered, and as you describe, you may also have solenoid issues.

I've got a part for sale on Etsy which will help with the dripping wand if you don't want to replace the valve (chances are it will scale up again), or you can modify the valve as per the vid below. I went ahead and did it a few weeks ago, but it's quite a faff and you need the right tools

I did also see this, but not sure when it'll be available https://www.shadesofcoffee.co.uk/classic-steam-valve---new-design-shades-of-coffee-version

The valve mod vid above requires a 1/4" BSP die and lock nut, which I couldn't be arsed to wait or pay for. So with a bit of filing, I managed to use an M12 die and modified a stainless dome nut with some JB Weld to create the lock/capping nut. All holding up ok after daily use a month or so later.

nJb5w30.jpeg

XSpqn5e.jpeg

advertisement

Back