advertisement

Gaggia Classic Owners - Leaky Steam Wand

jagdesign

pfm Member
I've got an older Gaggia Classic and the steam wand has become progressively more leaky, dripping when the machine is on and warming up. I'm sure many will know this is a known issue with the needle valve which controls the steam output - limescale builds up inside the valve and stops it from fully closing.

One solution is to modify the valve so it can be cleaned and safely reassembled, but this is a bit of a faff for most users. The alternative is to completely replace it, but new valve assemblies are not inexpensive, >£30.

At some point I will modify mine so it can be cleaned and reassembled, but as a temporary fix for the drips, I've designed a small attachment which diverts the wand drips back to the drip tray. My machine is fitted with the Rancilio steam wand, and this cannot (at least on mine) be rotated to sit over the standard drip tray, so it is 'parked' down the side of the machine. I think lots of other users prefer to leave their wand in this position also, to leave the drip tray and group area unobstructed for shots/cleaning etc.

What I'd like to know - are there any fishies out there with the newer style Gaggia with the notch in the stainless chassis, down the side of the water tank, highlighted below? I could do with the dimensions of the notch, and would happy to send to send out a sample, maybe a couple, in exchange for some user testing and feedback.

1xN3GIS.jpeg

advertisement

Back