advertisement

The Coffee Thread

matthewr

spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld
We might as well have a standing thread for coffee as it seems to be another of the key topics on which middle-aged men enjoy presenting their opinions as facts and can bore for England :)

And what better way to start than with this fascinating video from James Hoffman on Yememia and cofee in Yemen.

Yemeni coffee is my favourite for roasting. Hard to get hold of but delicious.

I watched that video earlier, and yes adulteration is an issue. I trust my supplier is supplying unadulterated green beans. Certainly over the years of me buying the batches have been reasonably consistent.

Yemen, Ethiopia and Burundi are my favourites for coffees as well. Such variety and never a dull moment even if I don't really get on with the super funky ones.

I have a Square Mile subscription which gets you access to the stuff they buy in small volume, so hopefully some of this Yemenia will turn up soon.

I really like Ethiopian harrar when it's good, and Sumatran mandehling when it's good. Both are pretty hit and miss though, especially Indonesian coffee.

Right now I've got a Kenyan blue mountain which is really nice. I don't know if they brought seeds back from Jamaica or what, but it's very tasty stuff.

Sumatran Mandehling is my go-to; can find beans, roasted to my taste via a v local supplier, mercifully.

I spent >2yrs on N. Borneo, and while it might not hit the current instagram- ideal of what 'Western-w/ank' coffee can be - the plain, black unsweetened 'Kopi-o'; that slightly thick, no-crema, shortish & tasty but non -acidic thing you can find anywhere after 6am in Sarawak/Brunei/Sabah ..is what I want, >> a decade later; and still enjoy.

I have to make my own. that's ok, goes with my practicing the perfect Roti kosong...

Just bought some of this:
0-D5-F79-B0-1979-4401-AD47-9055-CB61-D533.jpg

Yes, yes, I know, I know.........be alright for me though, the classy person I am :D

Have been brewing medium roast coffee beans from these guys for quite a few years.

https://rutamayacoffee.com/

100% Arabica, certified USDA organic. Cultivated by a cooperative of Maya Indian farmers in the highlands of Chiapas, Mexico.

My next door neighbor is Kenyan, and she turned us on to a lighter roast.

https://www.coffeebeandirect.com/ke...MIy4zi9oPd6wIVT77ACh3VzwnIEAAYASAAEgIjFvD_BwE

A slightly lighter roast, but also quite delicious, and a nice change of pace.

Been a while since we’ve ventured beyond these two, so will be closely watching this thread for recommendations!

Have been brewing medium roast coffee beans from these guys for quite a few years.

https://rutamayacoffee.com/

100% Arabica, certified USDA organic. Cultivated by a cooperative of Maya Indian farmers in the highlands of Chiapas, Mexico.

My next door neighbor is Kenyan, and she turned us on to a lighter roast.

https://www.coffeebeandirect.com/ke...MIy4zi9oPd6wIVT77ACh3VzwnIEAAYASAAEgIjFvD_BwE

A slightly lighter roast, but also quite delicious, and a nice change of pace.

Been a while since we’ve ventured beyond these two, so will be closely watching this thread for recommendations!

what drink you making with lighter roasts? pour over? dripper? espresso?

what drink you making with lighter roasts? pour over? dripper? espresso?

Am using a 10-year old Cuisinart drip coffee maker with an integrated grinder.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G8Y2W...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Will be looking to replace it with something similar by end of year.

I drink my morning coffee black. If I need a second cup to get through the afternoon, I’ll usually add a splash of cashew milk. Have occasionally thought about getting an espresso/latte machine, but am concerned it won’t get used very often. Will probably stick with a basic drip model.

Have occasionally thought about getting an espresso/latte machine, but am concerned it won’t get used very often. Will probably stick with a basic drip model.

Probably a good idea, espresso machines are big, fussy, messy things.

espresso machines are big, fussy, messy things.

Sorry, that is rather sweeping and inaccurate. I am currently using a small, manual and portable espresso maker.

See this, you can see the complete espresso maker dismantled in the background

2020-07-14_05-54-31 by uh_simon, on Flickr

and fully assembled here

2020-07-14_05-53-47 by uh_simon, on Flickr

easy to use, clean and small, producing a nice espresso.

As this thread is about coffee we don't need it derailed by coffee machine talk (there is another thread for that), notice the coffee in the second picture. These beans are processed and "aged" on ghe Norfolk coast, partly exposed to airborne elements, a bit like monsoon malabar

I need to switch to decaf for at least one of my coffees.

Any recommendations? Can’t say I’ve liked any I’ve tried. Or is there a bean that’s naturally low in caffeine?

Probably a good idea, espresso machines are big, fussy, messy things.
Fussy? Yes. Big and messy? No. Nor the grinder. Which is new (to me; £42 inc p&p from ebay) and at last allowing me to get the brew right. So I am just about ready to experiment with different beans, having stuck with Lavazza Espresso until now. Adequate, but unexciting.
50280755658_7e338c8fb7_z.jpg

So I am just about ready to experiment with different beans, having stuck with Lavazza Espresso until now. Adequate, but unexciting.

The central mystery of coffee talk to me is that so much time and effort is expanded on the technical and practical aspects of how to make it and so very little on what it tastes like. And the great joy is the never ending variety of different coffees and flavours so you can get something new and interesting every week, especially if one branches out of commodity coffee into single origin and speciality coffee.

It would be like if one got into wine and then spent lots of time talking about different corkscrews and glasses but kept drinking the same generic "French Chardonnay". Which is, of course, fine if that's what you like but I can't help think of it as if not missing the point but certainly missing out.

(All of which I mean generically rather than you specifically and it was just your comment that prompted this post).

advertisement

Back