advertisement

The Coffee Thread

Since I came across them via this thread, I thought it might be of interest to mention that Dark Arts Coffee have a Black Friday sale on - use the code YAYCAPITALISM for 20% off coffee.

FWIW I’ve enjoyed the beans I’ve had from them and am considering shifting my occasional decaf subscription from Pact to them (haven’t tried their decaf yet so have placed an order using the code to check it out) so I’d happily recommend their wares.

Last week I ordered some beans from a local roaster - Casa Espresso (https://casaespresso.co.uk/about-us/). Fast delivery (same day for me!) and great quality. A kilo of their most popular blend was about £25, so good value considering responsible sourcing and ‘artisan’ prices these days.

I only drink decaf, and my decaf of choice is Mokarabia. Once in a while I buy a box of them. Very good value and I like the taste.

I use an Aeropress and grind the beans in a coffee shop size Mazzer Major grinder which is huge but really gets the best out of the beans. One of my best purchases. Mine is an older used model which I got for a couple of hundred pounds.

Today I replaced the steam valve, thermostats and steam wand O-ring in my redoubtable Gaggia Classic. It’s great that every piece is replaceable, available and simple to repair.

Before…

20240128200815-ecad565f.jpg

during…

20240128200817-6b6c1662.jpg

…after (hooray!)

20240128200816-54573548.jpg

I’m tempted to go full-on Gaggiuino. It’s utterly absurd and completely over-the-top, but I like the idea of fully reversible touchscreen and computer control tech on a 20-year old machine giving levels of coffee nerdery that I don’t even understand, let alone want or need.

@Marchbanks hi on here.

Is the o-ring you speak of, under the black rubber johnny elbow thingy on your steam wand?

My wand is different- also my leak only happens directly from the wand end/ spout hole.. so I think this eliminates certain things i could try?

Capt

We might as well have a standing thread for coffee as it seems to be another of the key topics on which middle-aged men enjoy presenting their opinions as facts and can bore for England :)

And what better way to start than with this fascinating video from James Hoffman on Yememia and cofee in Yemen.

Unless factoid. Anecdata - anecdotal evidence based on personal observations or opinions, random investigations etc but presented as fact.

I only drink decaf, and my decaf of choice is Mokarabia. Once in a while I buy a box of them. Very good value and I like the taste.

I use an Aeropress and grind the beans in a coffee shop size Mazzer Major grinder which is huge but really gets the best out of the beans. One of my best purchases. Mine is an older used model which I got for a couple of hundred pounds.

Good grinder the major. I had one the last time I lived in the states.
These days I'm using a compak, I think it's a k8. Similar size burrs but they turn much slower.

No need for Weiss distribution or anything on these grinders but I recently got out my first real grinder the rancilio rocky to go house sitting. I had a terrible time with channeling, had to be a whole lot more careful breaking up the clumps etc.

@Marchbanks hi on here.

Is the o-ring you speak of, under the black rubber johnny elbow thingy on your steam wand?

My wand is different- also my leak only happens directly from the wand end/ spout hole.. so I think this eliminates certain things i could try?

Capt
No, it’s in the joint above that. In the middle pic it’s where the chrome pipe changes to copper.

Mine wand isn’t original. I think it’s a Rancilio. It wasn’t me who changed it, I hasten to add - I think the previous owner was of the ‘I like that - therefore I must try to improve it’ mindset.

My steamer never dripped from the end, just from halfway up - only, but whenever, I opened the valve either for steam or hot water. I was never sure whether the cause was water from the joint, steam condensing inside and dripping down or possibly both, so I replaced the valve and o-ring together. Your problem does sound more like the valve than the o-ring though, especially if the drips occur when it is closed.

For any Gaggia Classic owners with a leaky steam wand, please take a look here. Particularly those with the newer style machine. Happy to send out some prototype parts in return for some feedback.

I bought a new, open box Wilfa Svart 130W grinder on eBay in October 2023. I like it, and have dialled in a grind that works for me, but the quantity ground seems to vary significantly, even though I don’t touch the timer. I leave it switched off at the socket until using, and only put a small quantity in the hopper (probably no more than twice what I will grind, because I only do a couple of cups a day, just for myself, so keep the beans in the fridge and top up just before grinding.

Can anybody offer any suggestions as to what’s going on?

Is it truly the ground amount, or could it be retention? Have you putting in the exact weight of beans you want to use (which is what I do) and seen what comes out? I use a small brush to repeatedly clear the retained ground coffee.
Probably preaching to the choir.

I bought a new, open box Wilfa Svart 130W grinder on eBay in October 2023. I like it, and have dialled in a grind that works for me, but the quantity ground seems to vary significantly, even though I don’t touch the timer. I leave it switched off at the socket until using, and only put a small quantity in the hopper (probably no more than twice what I will grind, because I only do a couple of cups a day, just for myself, so keep the beans in the fridge and top up just before grinding.

that grinder is not designed for single or low dosing. My SiL had the same issue, until she filled the hopper up.

I would weigh your coffee for a single dose and run the grinder until it's done or auto shuts off.
Also almost everyone argues against storing your coffee in the fridge. See https://www.pactcoffee.com/blog/should-you-store-coffee-in-the-fridge for example.

We like Bauli Amaretti biscuits with our cappuccinos, made with our Sage Barista Touch coffee machine.
The only retailer that sells them locally now, is Waitrose. They come in a paper bag. But sometimes I think the shelf fillers play football with them, as a quarter of them are broken. Someone told me that Lidl sell something similar. Has anyone tried them?

I tried using my Ceado E37s like that when I had it Steve, but gravity was needed or the grind was inconsistent. I bought a thick perspex tube and a ball bearing then used one of whose Wilko-type of extending-rod magnets to weigh down the single dosing I was attempting. It was always a compromise though and I was glad to move to a genuine single dose grinder (Niche Zero and later Niche Duo).

If I only made a couple of coffees a day I would probably just use something like a 1zpresso manual grinder, I use my K-Max and cafetière when travelling.

My Gaggia Classic is now leaking from the steam wand.
If I activate the group head, water continues to come from the wand.

If I flick between the steam and group head (with the wand valve open) water
comes from both. Flow from the group head is strong, as is flow from the wand.

If I close the wand valve, water will drip from it with the group head activated.

Solutions are very welcome.

My Gaggia Classic is now leaking from the steam wand.
If I activate the group head, water continues to come from the wand.

If I flick between the steam and group head (with the wand valve open) water
comes from both. Flow from the group head is strong, as is flow from the wand.

If I close the wand valve, water will drip from it with the group head activated.

Solutions are very welcome.

Up the page post, number 592.

advertisement

Back