advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

71HY-f-2QKL._SY500_.jpg

I waited a bit to buy Herbert Schuch’s latest for no reason. See, I knew it would be good, so no rush. And good it is. The disc mixes Schubert and Janacek, something Schuch did before, and if at first blush they do not seem like a good pairing, that is not the case.

First, the disc starts off with a fresh, new recording of the D899 Impromptus. Schuch delivers a corker of a set. The SOTA sound allows one to hear his keen observation of dynamic markings – ff will blow the listener back in his or her listening seat, while pp will invite the listener to lean forward. And when one sees fz in the score, one hears it from the loudspeaker. Legato playing can and does sound like the musical equivalent of a string of black pearls. More than those basics, Schuch brings his nuanced touch and his ability to make his piano sing, and to deliver longs chains of notes with pristine clarity (like in the A-Flat Major). There is drama, humor, beauty, fearsomeness, everything, all condensed into four short movements. Oh, yes, this works well indeed.

Second comes the blending of composers, mixing the Moments Musicaux with a half-dozen excerpts from Janacek’s On an Overgrown Path. The first two musical moments sound darker and smoother than the Impromptus, with some nifty pedaling effects tossed in, and that fine dynamic control. As with his blending of Beethoven Bagatelles and Ligeti’s Musica Ricercata, Schuch knows how and when to shift seamlessly from one composer to the next, and here the second D780 piece trails off right into the second piece from Janacek’s work, which maintains a similar sound, register, and mood, and then imperceptibly morphs into some of the most beautiful Janacek piano playing yet recorded. The shift back to Schubert jars a bit, but it does not seem out of place, especially as the brief movement trails off before the third piece from the Janacek repeats the same type of jarring juxtaposition, just in reverse. Schuch then places the first movement from the Janacek next, delivers it sublimely, then moves to a jaunty, pokey fourth musical moment, with some in your face left hand playing. That offers some continuity with some of the playing in the following The Madonna of Frydek, which also has the most beautiful Janacek piano playing I’ve heard. The striking contrast between the faster, louder music, and the impossibly gentle and beautiful playing brings to mind Pogorelich’s playing of Chopin’s B minor Scherzo. The Schubert Allegro vivace pushes things hard and fast-ish, and then They chatter like swallows starts off almost recklessly rushed, though perfectly controlled. The pairing and playing styles work flawlessly. Given the back and forth to this point, it is predictable and predictably fine to follow a somber but not overly weighed down Allegretto with a punchy, defiant take on The barn owl has not flown away!. If I can nitpick, the only think I can think of is that Schuch did not offer more of the same.

Schuch remains one of the few artists whose recordings I make it a point to purchase when they come out, or shortly thereafter. This is easily a purchase of the year, as expected.

I just finished listening to Mahler 9 from this Abbado/Berin PO box set. The way the adagio draws to a quiet close is simply mesmerising. Bravo, bravo!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Shostakovich symphony no. 1 ..... Neeme Jarvi with Scottish National Orchestra.
A blistering performance that must be frightening the neighbours with its dynamics, well done Chandos.

Can't believe this was written by a 19 year old.... How would his music have developed had Stalin and his hacks not sent the new USSR into a deep frozen terror?

Mozart, Piano Concerto No 16, K451: Christian Zacharias, Radio-Sinfonieorchester Stuttgart -, Neville Marriner.

I just finished listening to Mahler 9 from this Abbado/Berin PO box set. The way the adagio draws to a quiet close is simply mesmerising. Bravo, bravo!
Ah - I played the Lucerne Festival Abbado last night (sound only, ripped from the DVD). I think I'm beginning to get it at last :)

Next up: Ancerl, Czech PO 1966 on Supraphon. Given Ancerl's first-hand experience of Terezin and then Auschwitz, I am expecting something special...

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
For months I have been asking Radio 3 to play the Adagio patetico from the Piano Quintet by Dutch pianist-composer Dirk Schäfer with no success. I can't think why they haven't jumped at the suggestion, unless there is some contractual hurdle they cannot overcome. It is a wonderful piece which I discovered quite by accident and very few are likely to find unaided.

Never mind... you can hear it here:

Ah - I played the Lucerne Festival Abbado last night (sound only, ripped from the DVD). I think I'm beginning to get it at last :)

I reckon that's my favourite version. It's just superb from start to finish. I like the fact that you can watch the performance as well, and Abbado looks like he's about to keel over at the end, such was the exertion required. Just magnificent.

Michael Gielen Mahler 3. I’m discovering just how good Gielen is for Mahler, Brahms and to a slightly lesser extent Bruckner.

I have a CD of Gielen doing Mahler 8 in a live performance. It is scrappy in places but as being a symphony (as opposed to Gergiev's LSO Live one where a series of pretty much unrelated things happen) it is actually pretty good.

I have about 9000 Mahlers and Gielen is up there for 3, 5 and especially 6. I listen to 8 least and when I do it’s usually Solti or Tennstedt.

Haven't listened to Mahler's 8th in decades.... And won't be soon tbh.... All that bloody singing which goes on and on and on, what a waste of good music!

Haven't heard much Michael Gielen conducting, except for his superb Gurrelieder with SWR SO Baden-Baden & Freiburg, well worth hearing.

Haven't listened to Mahler's 8th in decades.... And won't be soon tbh.... All that bloody singing which goes on and on and on, what a waste of good music!

Haven't heard much Michael Gielen conducting, except for his superb Gurrelieder with SWR SO Baden-Baden & Freiburg, well worth hearing.
I have to agree although the start of the second part is rather wonderful…
Then the singing starts again!!!

91tRF6foHpL._SY425_.jpg

Steven Osborne is nothing if not reliable. This recording, like every other recording I've heard from him, is museum grade. Aided by pristinely fine recorded sound, Osborne plays every note perfectly. If he needs to play quietly, he plays quietly - but not too quietly. Sometimes the sheen of perfection saps some heat and overt display from the playing, but there are other versions for that. This is up there with Angelich and Chochieva for complete sets for me. I should probably get my hands on Lugansky's new, second recording before too long.

51Tb4yOoFRL._SY425_.jpg

I've never really gotten on with Stephen Hough's solo piano recordings. The chamber pairings I've heard are top notch, but his solo recordings, while undeniably well played and polished to the Nth degree, lack something for me. There's a coolness verging on coldness in some of the playing. That should not provide any barrier to enjoying his take on Mompou's Música callada, arguably the greatest large-scale collection of solo piano works of the post-war era. And it doesn't. Mostly. First of all, though, the playing sounds pristine, precise, and almost always beautiful. The few times it does not sound beautiful it is meant to sound ugly. The slightly quick overall take has a forward moving feel to the extent it can and should, and Hough expertly uses pauses, silences, and dynamic shifts to drive home points. The sound is largely bright and clear. But ultimately there's still that something that holds the playing back for me. Two back-to-back movements demonstrate why. Tranquilo - trés calme, the thirteenth piece, starts off lovely and subdued but slightly rushed and entirely unexpressive. This then moves on to some gnarly, almost brittle and ugly playing in the louder passages that works supremely well, so in one short movement, one hears the ho-hum and the wow. The Severo - serieux does the same thing, in reverse. Really, at no point throughout the work do I get a sense in the most serene, potentially introspective music that Hough delivers more than coolly precise and beautiful surface playing. The brief, modernist flashes come to life, though. To be sure, this is a good version of the work, and probably the best solo recording I've heard from Hough, though the late Brahms recording is in the to-hear pile and the Chopin Nocturnes on the to-buy list. It does not really come close to matching my triumvirate of pianists - Colom (either recording), Attenelle, and Small - and the sound quality is good, but even in 24/96 it can't be said to offer anything beyond Colom II or Henck.

91tRF6foHpL._SY425_.jpg

Steven Osborne is nothing if not reliable. This recording, like every other recording I've heard from him, is museum grade. Aided by pristinely fine recorded sound, Osborne plays every note perfectly. If he needs to play quietly, he plays quietly - but not too quietly. Sometimes the sheen of perfection saps some heat and overt display from the playing, but there are other versions for that. This is up there with Angelich and Chochieva for complete sets for me. I should probably get my hands on Lugansky's new, second recording before too long.

I've just got the new Lugansky, remarkably similar to his earlier one, far better sound (as expected) but a mite 'safer' shall we say, in places. Chochieva still reigns supreme for me, but closely followed by Alberto Ferro on the Muso label.

Piano has been the order of the day so far. First to revisit this remarkable performance of Chopin's Preludes by Aimi Kobayashi;

Then on to Iberia, with Marc-André Hamelin's recording on Hyperion - it really does repay repeated listening. Szymanowski's Métopes and Preludes next.

51Tb4yOoFRL._SY425_.jpg

I've never really gotten on with Stephen Hough's solo piano recordings. The chamber pairings I've heard are top notch, but his solo recordings, while undeniably well played and polished to the Nth degree, lack something for me. There's a coolness verging on coldness in some of the playing. That should not provide any barrier to enjoying his take on Mompou's Música callada, arguably the greatest large-scale collection of solo piano works of the post-war era. And it doesn't. Mostly. First of all, though, the playing sounds pristine, precise, and almost always beautiful. The few times it does not sound beautiful it is meant to sound ugly. The slightly quick overall take has a forward moving feel to the extent it can and should, and Hough expertly uses pauses, silences, and dynamic shifts to drive home points. The sound is largely bright and clear. But ultimately there's still that something that holds the playing back for me. Two back-to-back movements demonstrate why. Tranquilo - trés calme, the thirteenth piece, starts off lovely and subdued but slightly rushed and entirely unexpressive. This then moves on to some gnarly, almost brittle and ugly playing in the louder passages that works supremely well, so in one short movement, one hears the ho-hum and the wow. The Severo - serieux does the same thing, in reverse. Really, at no point throughout the work do I get a sense in the most serene, potentially introspective music that Hough delivers more than coolly precise and beautiful surface playing. The brief, modernist flashes come to life, though. To be sure, this is a good version of the work, and probably the best solo recording I've heard from Hough, though the late Brahms recording is in the to-hear pile and the Chopin Nocturnes on the to-buy list. It does not really come close to matching my triumvirate of pianists - Colom (either recording), Attenelle, and Small - and the sound quality is good, but even in 24/96 it can't be said to offer anything beyond Colom II or Henck.
I'll be seeing Stephen Hough performing solo piano pieces tomorrow evening in Manchester. It'll be interesting to see if his live performance aligns with your comments on his recorded solo works.

advertisement

Back