advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

71gVgeXCD+L._SX425_.jpg

The Cleveland Quartet in Op 105 represent a material step up qualitatively. Ensemble playing improves, intensity and drama and passion ratchet up, and the tonal beauty beguiles for sure. The rich sound, kick ass cello, and basically perfect playing really hits the spot.

Pure Hell ! What were they thinking of ? :p Christmas can only get better from here.

Bach's music has suffered all kinds of abuse, but usually survives it, more or less. This is definitely a great deal less. I don't think I'll make it to the end. 70 minutes to go, and the service of 9 lessons and carols from King's will rescue me ! :)

(If you want to suffer, too, you can find it here :D:
)
My goodness, that's terrible! The Weihnachtsoratorium is one of my favourites, and I have quite a collection of versions, from brilliant to average, but never awful. That gap in the collection has now been filled. (I didn't even make it to the vocals...)

616JIiZ56yL._UXNaN_FMjpg_QL85_.jpg

The Delme do Op 105. So here’s something that should not work. The Delme adopt slow tempi throughout, especially in the extra slow movement. It bears no traces of a Czech soundworld – it is unambiguously unidiomatic. And it is reverberantly recorded. But. Well, it’s superb in every way. The recorded sound allows for dramatic dynamic swings. The slow tempo, at times extra-copious vibrato, and mannered phrasing screams gooey 19th Century romanticism, almost approaching a Korngoldian ideal. Good stuff.

512iTdY9A9L._SY425_.jpg

ABQ 105. I’m not an ABQ fan generally. They play perfectly but at least what I’ve listened to tends to be very Emerson Quartety in that technical perfection can trump musical enjoyment. Not so here. The perfection is there, but so too is musical satisfaction. Nary a note or dynamic shift sounds out place, which all the more impressive given that this is a live recording.

A couple of days late this year, but never mind.

As always, McCreesh is the master of liturgical reconstructions. It's very atmospheric; you can almost smell and feel the church around you. There are some good performances, too.

513Uko9pgOL._UXNaN_FMjpg_QL85_.jpg

The Slovakian Moyzes Quartet playing Czech music. Outrageous. The Moyzes favor slow tempi and gobs of vibrato and they deliver smooth and rather luxuriant playing. The outer movements of the Molto Vivace having a lilting mien while the trio is hypnotically sweet. Oh man! Basically, this a less spaciously recorded and much more idiomatic rendition along the lines of the Delme. The Moyzes recorded for super-budget labels years ago and micro-labels more recently. I have their Smetana, but this makes me think maybe I should listen to some of their Mozart at least.

ab67616d0000b27337665347ef95ea2adfd64569

The Martinů Quartet delivered a fine Martinů cycle back when, so it was about time to hear some of their Dvorak. It manages to marry more vibrant, intense playing and ample beauty and warmth in the slower music. It flows basically flawlessly.

Over the last few days have retreated from winter and the stress of work by sinking into comfort zone of more Brahms..... gradually working my way through some 20+ recordings of the 4th symphony, though its already a fair bet that Carlos Kleiber/VPO will still be the supreme choice.
However, some surprising findings along the way......
  • Harnoncourt Berlin Phil was almost perfect until the finale where he slows down and romanticizes inappropriate rubato all over and spoils things.
  • Very surprisingly, Christian Thielemann and Dresden Staatskappelle are almost perfect and very swift too..... but their sudden acceleration in the coda of the first movement is too much and spoils things. I like it swift, but the jump in speed was too much to swallow. Somewhat distant and faint recording.
  • Herbert Blomstedt and Gewandhaus from last year (May Blomstedt live forever - he's 95 now!) beautifully recorded by Pentatone, lovely excellent all-round performance, just a tiny bit more pace in the finale might have made it victorious! Fantastic performance of the 1st symphony too, but the 3rd is a bit galumpy and doesn't bounce and swing like it should.
  • Chailly/Gewandhaus and Nelsons/Boston also very good too. But Chailly let down by Decca's heavy sound which doesn't sit well with his generally swift tempos. Pentatone do it so much better for Blomstedt and same orchestra as above.
  • Simone Young and Hamburg Philharmonic are a very strong contender too. As is their 3rd on the same disc.
  • Of HIP/Authentic performances - Norrington/LCP is very worthwhile and one of my faves. John Eliot Gardiner/ORR should be - but he goes at it just a bit too hard and the sound is very dry and bright so quite a difficult listen.
  • Much lauded Adam Fischer/Danish Chamber Orchestra set I found very disappointing - very lightweight, just doesn't express the depths at all.

I too couldn't get on with Fischer/ Danish CO - too fussy and too many gimmicky 'conductor' things.
It's currently Honeck/ Pittsburgh for me, closely followed by Dohnanyi/ Cleveland, an 'under the radar' set that is worth hearing.

I too couldn't get on with Fischer/ Danish CO - too fussy and too many gimmicky 'conductor' things.
It's currently Honeck/ Pittsburgh for me, closely followed by Dohnanyi/ Cleveland, an 'under the radar' set that is worth hearing.

I have Honeck/Pittsburgh..... I found it a bit unsympathetic, too hard driven - a bit like JEG/ORR but with a modern orchestra. I will need to try it again though, I bought it mainly for the James MacMillan piece that accompanies it.

I have Dohnanyi's 2&4 with the Philharmonia on Signum..... seem to recall it was a good 'un but haven't heard it for a while.

Yes I've heard the later Philharmonia, but I think the earlier is better played and slightly more 'fiery', if that's the word...
Funnily enough, I've just gone back to Philharmonia with Klemperer, mmm, granitic but magnetic !

71rQVtDl9XL._SX425_.jpg

The Vlach Quartet Prague. Leisurely and lovely, with very fine piano/pianissimo playing, the ensemble knows the music. (Nepotism can certainly pay off.) The trio rivals the Moyzes version, and at times delicate beauty abounds. The slow movement sounds gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous, though it could also be considered too languid for those not as enthralled by it.

51v57yIVihL._SY425_.jpg

The Emerson. Pretty much the opposite of the Vlach Quartet Prague, the Emerson play comparatively quickly, with utmost precision and clarity, though the strings sound a bit, well, stringy in comparison at times. They do layer on vibrato effectively. While not a top choice, the executive goodness ensures listening well into the future.

Over the last few days have retreated from winter and the stress of work by sinking into comfort zone of more Brahms..... gradually working my way through some 20+ recordings of the 4th symphony, though its already a fair bet that Carlos Kleiber/VPO will still be the supreme choice.
However, some surprising findings along the way......
  • Harnoncourt Berlin Phil was almost perfect until the finale where he slows down and romanticizes inappropriate rubato all over and spoils things.
  • Very surprisingly, Christian Thielemann and Dresden Staatskappelle are almost perfect and very swift too..... but their sudden acceleration in the coda of the first movement is too much and spoils things. I like it swift, but the jump in speed was too much to swallow. Somewhat distant and faint recording.
  • Herbert Blomstedt and Gewandhaus from last year (May Blomstedt live forever - he's 95 now!) beautifully recorded by Pentatone, lovely excellent all-round performance, just a tiny bit more pace in the finale might have made it victorious! Fantastic performance of the 1st symphony too, but the 3rd is a bit galumpy and doesn't bounce and swing like it should.
  • Chailly/Gewandhaus and Nelsons/Boston also very good too. But Chailly let down by Decca's heavy sound which doesn't sit well with his generally swift tempos. Pentatone do it so much better for Blomstedt and same orchestra as above.
  • Simone Young and Hamburg Philharmonic are a very strong contender too. As is their 3rd on the same disc.
  • Of HIP/Authentic performances - Norrington/LCP is very worthwhile and one of my faves. John Eliot Gardiner/ORR should be - but he goes at it just a bit too hard and the sound is very dry and bright so quite a difficult listen.
  • Much lauded Adam Fischer/Danish Chamber Orchestra set I found very disappointing - very lightweight, just doesn't express the depths at all.

Think I might have found the unicorn....
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08BRN8S3J/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcmVzdG8tY292ZXItaW1hZ2VzIiwia2V5IjoiODc4OTQ3MC4xLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2l6ZSI6eyJ3aWR0aCI6OTAwfSwianBlZyI6eyJxdWFsaXR5Ijo2NX0sInRvRm9ybWF0IjoianBlZyJ9LCJ0aW1lc3RhbXAiOjE1OTUzMjEyODl9

Its absolutely superb in every way..... and the BIS recording (as usual) is fantastic. I've had Dausgaard and the Swedish Chamber Orchestra's recording of Dvorak 6 & 9 for a few years and was well impressed - should have tried their Brahms sooner!

here's what Gramophone had to say about it

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Yes I like this series - it's similar to Ticciati's with the Scottish Chamber Orchestra, exciting and dynamic without the pointless rubatos and distortions of Fischer.

41+dxWhfA8L._SX425_.jpg

The Prague String Quartet do 105. More robust and fuller sounding than multiple prior few ensembles, this quartet moves fluidly between vibrant fast passages, and slow, nearly affecting slow passages – and that’s just the first movement. Everything sounds just swell.

advertisement

Back