advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

Igor Levitt playing LvB's Emperor concerto with Paavo Jarvi and the BPO, on same online service that Decameron is watching. Superb.

2nd half of concert was Prokofiev's 6th symphony... Maybe the greatest 20th century symphony IMHO.

Paavo's father Neemi's recording of this with the SNO is still the best available.

All of Paavo Jarvi's concerts with the BPO have been magnificent. His Shostakovich 6 and Prokofiev 2nd concerto with Yuja Wang most especially.

Coincidentally, Jansons conducting Shostakovich Symphony No.7, BPO. Live video recording from 1992. Electrifying performance!

I listened to Das Lied von der Erde last night (this one as conducted by Kubelik with Janet Baker and Waler Kmentt on vocals) and once again, I found myself being drawn into listening to the most intimate of performances. I used to think it would have been great to have had the mighty Fritz Wunderlich opposite Baker here as that guy could really sing, but now I'm thinking that Kmentt might actually have been the best guy to partner with Baker as Wunderlich would have woken up the entire galaxy with his vocal prowess never mind sang a song of the earth, while Kmentt does indeed sing to the spirit of intimacy extremely well that seems to typify the performance from start to finish.

If I had to own just one Das Lied recording then this is it. Apologies, Fritz, apologies, Christa, apologies, Bridgette, apologies orchestras and conductors one and all: I know when my soul been touched and Janet, Janet, Janet, oh how, have you touched my soul!

51RllCzVIPL._AC_UL320_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Streamed from Primephonic: Julliard Quartet; Beethoven - Bartok - Dvorak. Holds its own with my several other recordings. Powerful renditions.

Bruckner Symphony No.7. Celibidache, Berlin Philharmonic, live recording at the Schauspielhaus Berlin, 1992.
Spellbinding.

RVW symphonies 4 & 6 in the new LSO / Pappano release. Very good they are, too. Slightly faster than my other recordings (Previn/LSO for n°4 and Davis/BBC SO for n°6, plus the later Boult recordings on LP). The atmosphere is quite electric. According to the booklet, 4 was recorded on the eve of the 2019 election, and 6 the night before lockdown was announced in 2020.

714c2z1WjYL._AC_UY327_QL65_.jpg

The recorded sound is very good as well, and I'm hearing details of orchestration that I'd missed before. A good buy. I found out about the release from the Presto weekly e-mail, but bought direct from LSO. There was a review in the Observer https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...-ibragimova-ysaye-violin-sonatas-kerson-leong on Sunday as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08VYGHR94/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Viktoria Mullova and Gustavo Dudamel with the BPO doing Stravinsky's Violin Concerto.... splendid.

Been doing a survey of recordings I have here and my favourite on disc is Hilary Hahn & Neville Marriner with ASMF which has manically fast first movement, after which other recordings seem a bit staid..... very interesting BBC Building a Library did a survey on Saturday and that was their problem with it, though it was otherwise very highly rated. Mullova's recording with LAPO and Esa-Pekka Salonen came top overall.

I am tempted to try the Wolfgang Schneiderhahn/Karl Ancerl/BPO recording which sounded great in the excerpts played on radio despite early 1960s recording. And keen to hear Ancerl's Shostakovich 10 - even if it is in mono.

Mozart Piano Concertos 18 and 20 with Richard Goode/Orpheus Chamber Orchestra. The second movement of 18 is somewhat dark which foreshadows the pathos of concerto number 20. All in all, a great way to spend an hour.

Another L.P. I’ve had 40 years, the Solti/Chicago Mahler 8 - Decca doing it right.
Just noticed on the box front that in certain light I can see the indentation of the hand-written price: £10.49. That seems quite a lot for back then.

Disc 7 of this has possibly one of the more incongruous couplings by a single composer.
B5DE3CD3-E50A-430D-A615-2E693F3029A1.jpeg

6th symphony in all its oddness with the filler being RVW's version of the birdy song.*

* by which I mean Lark Ascending.

Disc 7 of this has possibly one of the more incongruous couplings by a single composer.

6th symphony in all its oddness with the filler being RVW's version of the birdy song.*

* by which I mean Lark Ascending.

Andrew Davis' version on Teldec with the BBC SO has the same coupling, along with the Tallis Fantasia. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000000SEB/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
71gF5lp%2B6oL._SL1090_.jpg

I owned the EMI/Boult boxed set of LPs first, so the coupling didn't surprise me when I later bought the Teldec/Davis version on CD. :)

advertisement

Back