advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

Just listened to Cantus Arcticus on Radio Three - I've never heard it before and it totally arrested me , a knockout piece. Now listening to the Vaughan Williams Sinfonia Antarctica.

Vivaldi . . . Concertos for violin,strings and continuo. . . I Musici.
I was not familiar with these at all until I began to listen a few days ago.I was a little apprehensive approaching them as they were recorded in Jan. 1958 and I worried over sound quality.
I needn’t as they sound absolutely wonderful and as mellow as I like.
They have put me in a very good mood as I stare out the window as darkness begins to fall,wind getting up and rain threatens.

I had a great urge,this morning,to listen to one of my many recordings of Mozart’s Requiem.
So I chose the Vienna Choir Boys . . . beautiful recording with the sweet and pure voice of the German tenor Kurt Equiluz.. . RCA label.
I also listened to Baroque Trio Sonatas by various composers from Naxos.. .clear,detailed sound but lacks the warmth of my Philips Vivaldi box set which I’m currently listening to while gazing out at the intense green of my garden under a very overcast sky.
I’m rarely disappointed with the warm,involving,atmospheric Philips sound.

The postman delivered another gem this morning...Pergolesi ...Concerti Armonici ...I Musici. . . Philips label.
Beautiful 1979 recording . . used cd,approx £4...absolute giveaway.
I’m not at all familiar with his orchestral works,only his Stabat Mater but I clearly hear his “style” in the gorgeous slow movements despite there being a serious question mark over their authenticity.

Last edited:
Symphonies 5 and 7 by Allan Pettersson in the post today. Good stuff and plenty of other symphonies to investigate next week.

Just ordered the Du Pre Elgar Concerto and Bach Cello suites with Barbirolli and the BBC SO. Didn't know it existed! I have her other two recordings.

Luciano Berio on Radio 3, composer of the week. I am so impressed that I have pulled the trigger on two CDs of chamber music. Looking forward to the next programme.

What with the extraordinary weather,lots of gardening and of course the football,I have listened to very little music over the past few weeks but am currently enjoying some happy,toe-tapping Vivaldi violin concertos.

Last edited:
This binaural recording of The Planets by the BBC SO and National Youth Choir. Apparently, it'll make you feel as if you're at the Royal Albert Hall yourself if you listen through headphones!

I just listened through speakers but I did think it a particularly fine performance, especially for a first night, they can be a bit iffy some years.

Binaural recordings aren't really doing a lot for me... listening on headphones and they sound like any other recording to me.

And having never been to the RAH, I've no idea whether it made me feel as though I was there as advertised.

Mozart Piano Con.No11 and 22. . . Concentus Hungaricus . . . Jeno Jandó . . . Naxos.
I’d temporarily forgotten how splendid these recordings are.
Jeno Jandó is top notch,once you excuse his very occasional humming.

advertisement

Back