advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

Much to my surprise I’m reluctant to move on from Geminiani as I’m getting so much enjoyment from his concerti.I first became aware of his music over twenty years ago but only rarely listened to it.However,since then, my equipment has improved so much that I’m now experiencing it at a much more enjoyable level.Even the dull,murky, damp day doesn’t seem too bad now.

Stokowski’s Bach Transcriptions . . . Bournemouth Symphony Orch. . . . Josè Serebrier.
Very beautiful music if a tad sombre for this very bright breezy day interspersed with heavy late April showers.
Looking out the window,my red tulips and yellow daffodils never looked so attractive.. . “Tossing their heads in sprightly dance”

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
81FIKsapd4L._SX569_.jpg

I wouldn’t know how to begin to describe in words how anything sounds. I caught the review in the BBC music mag and bought it on spec :- I’m glad I did.

I watched an old favourite of mine on tv last night. . . The Mummy (1999).. .a load of very enjoyable nonsense but since I first saw it, way back,the remarkable score by Jerry Goldsmith has always lingered in my consciousness.
I’ve been playing the cd of the score on and off during the day and find the “love theme” extremely beautiful.
So not exactly “classical” but fascinating and,in places,gorgeous orchestral music.

Brahms Symphony 4, Andris Nelsons & Boston Symphony. I think this might run Carlos Kleiber/VPO very close in my list.

Followed by Bach Cantata BWV150 "Nach dir, Herr, verlanget mich" - JE Gardiner & co.

Vivaldi concertos for Stringed Instruments .. .I Musici.My recent purchase of the 27 cd box set has turned out to be as good as I had hoped. . . .gorgeous,intimate and involving sound quality.

730099446020.jpg

An amazon cheapy to bring an order over free postage as I didn't have a Colour Symphony before that somehow. Pretty good, but I may keep an eye out for others.

John Adams El Nino, he certainly knows how to write for voices and opera. Not too sure about the purely instrumentals though.

Vivaldi Bassoon Concertos. . . I Musici... delightful,exuberant,happy music with some very beautiful slow movements.
Warmer and more involving than the Naxos cds which are also very good.

Last edited:
R3 - modern classical or is it not, either way I am enjoying this.
Intriguing for me, especially Pascale Critron, worth a delve.

Bloss

NB: Crikey cd's not cheapo. Played by the Scottish symphony Orchestra, I would consider going to Scotland, if they played this again.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back