advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

Disc one. Given that I'm a big Michel Block fan, it's not surprising that I really dig this. This is much more youthful playing than his late career recordings. The Second Sonata is much different, terser, and obviously quicker than the almost obscenely drawn out Guild recording. It's still idiosyncratic, but much closer to standard than the later take. The disc starts with a peppy Op 53 Polonaise, and one has to wait only until the second track Waltz to hear Blockian goodness. And then come the four Etudes. 25/5 makes obvious why he didn't place; it's just too radical. All the others are decidedly non-standard, as well. Hearing them just makes me lament the fact that he didn't record them all. The Prelude selections are also rather spiffy. Expectations met.

Disc two. The one Nocturne and three Mazurkas offer strong hints of Block's later recordings. One might be able to argue that this solitary Nocturne example is better in some ways than his Guild Nocturne recordings, or even that his Mazurkas are better than his Guild recordings, but his Pro Piano Mazurka recordings are undoubtedly more better. The new thing here is the concerto. There are many hints at what came later in his playing in general, though there is no later recording of this work. Given the age of the recording and the less than best orchestral support, I can't say this becomes one of my very favorite versions, but I can say that I welcome it warmly to my collection. Predictably, as with pretty much any disc of Block's playing that I manage to get my paws on, this is a purchase of the year. Now I need to get me his Beethoven sonatas disc.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Hindemith's Violin Concerto. David Oistrakh, LSO conducted by the composer... Superb recording from 1962.
51l63YhAZNL._SX425_.jpg

I normally struggle with Hindemith's music, but I am enjoying this.

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I bought the recommended Richter boxed set some time last year: listening to Brahms 2nd concerto has really opened my eyes (ears).

Until now Brahms has always been among my personal 'second or third tier' composers; I believe a re-think may be on the cards.

Tippett Symphonies 1 to 4 from a box of Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra recordings under Richard Hickox. Excellent, his 3rd was one of my introductions into symphonies.

Not anymore, but earlier on I was listening to Ode to Joy's main motif being performed on repeat by a random whistler on a number 9 bus from Penilee to Glasgow City Centre!

Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique, Paavo Jarvi & Cincinnati Symphony on Telarc.

Has to be said that this is a superb performance.

Not anymore, but earlier on I was listening to Ode to Joy's main motif being performed on repeat by a random whistler on a number 9 bus from Penilee to Glasgow City Centre!
I think there's a loophole in the murder law for such instances. Pretty sure you would get off with a caution.

Handel, Ode for St. Cecelia's Day, the old Willcocks/King's College recording:

415G0NJFGPL.jpg

Marvellous - forgotten what a wonderful voice April Cantelo had.

A blockbuster Mompou disc, possibly the best single release of assorted works after Volodos. Perez goes mostly with full works, starting with a Cançons i Danses reveling in Mompou's harmonic invention with an at times lanquid yet rhythmically fluent and alert style. He knows when to rev up, too, though not too much. Paisajes is less adventurous and 'modern' than someone like Deljavan makes it, but it is luxuriant and gorgeous. In Scènes d'enfants, Perez faces tough competition, were it really a competition, from the standard setting Volodos, but Perez reveals himself to be a master of dynamic shading. The single Música Callada piece makes one hope for a complete set one day. Mirare's production values are world class. Perez has recorded a nice assortment of works, so I do believe I will have to be exploring his discography some more. He's the second Spanish pianist find of the year, along with Albert Attenelle.

Haveing watched Walken’s Quartet movie last night I am working my way through Beethoven’s quartets.

advertisement

Back