advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

Brahms Symphonies Scottish Chamber Orchestra under Robin Ticciati just released by Linn, recorded in the Usher Hall. I enjoyed them when live and the CD versions are superb. I have a ticket to see them again during the Edinburgh Festival. This has prompted me to go for an 11 CD box of Brahms chamber music, I seem to be on a Schumann/Brahms trip - now have a Brahms beard....:cool:

Last edited:
Brahms Piano Quartet no 1 - orchestrated by Schoenberg - Rattle/CBSO.

I'm surprised how few top orchestras and conductors have this in their repertoire - its a blast.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

Grand Pianola Music, conducted by the composer.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Mahler 3 last night: Zofo Plays Terry Riley as I type tonight :)

61cLJ11Bc2L._SX425_.jpg

As if additional evidence were needed, twenty-something Frank Dupree's debut recording provides fresh proof that conservatories are cranking out pianists with chops to spare. Okay, he skimps on the repeat in the Prestissimo of LvB's 2/1, but others do, too, and his 111 is not a top ten choice, but neither are at least 140 other recordings in my collection. Maybe the Berg is too sterile, and of course Dupree doesn't match Lucchesini's tonal attractiveness in the Berio, but these are basically quibbles. I'm more displeased by the color of his shoes in a liner note shot. He appears on a couple other discs, but Mendelssohn horn works and Antheil pieces are not high priority for me. This young man needs to record Ravel stat. Ligeti, too.

SOTA sound.

Tchaikovsky string quartet 3 op.30... Gabrieli quartet on a Decca Ace of Diamonds LP.
Tchaikovsky's quartets seem to be pretty much ignored, but they are really very good, so why the neglect? They are all quite early works in his output, have to say I find them much more enjoyable than any of his other early works.

Charles Mackerras’s Brahms Symphonies with the SCO on Telarc. I cant believe these are now 21 years old. I was prompted to get them out because theres a much praised New set from Linn with the SCO and Tacciati out at the moment(which I haven’t heard but would be fascinating to compare). SQ on the Telarc set is top notch as you’d expect from the label. I was taken by surprise by the rasp and pin point placement of the brass. Also good for hearing into the construction and textures of the composition because of the reduced forces.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079JGMVZH/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Mahler Symphonies 1-9 LSO box under Valery Gergiev hybrid SACD/CD recorded live at the Barbican 2007 to 2011. CD SQ is dreadful, like a soft toy. Interpretation is the same. Good job I am an OAP with loadsamoney because this going into landfill. 5th with LPO under Tennstedt restored reality.:)

Charles Mackerras’s Brahms Symphonies with the SCO on Telarc. I cant believe these are now 21 years old. I was prompted to get them out because theres a much praised New set from Linn with the SCO and Tacciati out at the moment(which I haven’t heard but would be fascinating to compare). SQ on the Telarc set is top notch as you’d expect from the label. I was taken by surprise by the rasp and pin point placement of the brass. Also good for hearing into the construction and textures of the composition because of the reduced forces.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079JGMVZH/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Please see my post above:)

advertisement

Back