advertisement

The CD revival thread

Fabulous room Theo - absolutely love the LP racks and your use of space. Think I need to show that to the missus as my idea of how to perfectly furnish a room!!

Birdseed
Many thanks - now if only i could get rid of the carpet...

Recently put the CD player back in the system (as transport) and retrieved selection of favourite CDs from the loft. SQ better better than the Node 2i (same CD rips, in to same DAC), and just nicer to interact with them. More like 'things'/entities in their own right. Nice to buy new ones too.

Do cd’s deteriorate over time.
I did go through a period of streaming ripped cd files. I came back to listening to cd’s via a transport and dac. Glad I did, for me the sound is much more enjoyable.
how long have you had CD's. My first dates from 1984, and I've never had any kind of problem so far. 34 years...not too much of a worry.

I’ve some CD-R from twenty years ago also no problems.
I have a few CD-Rs that have suffered 'ink bleed' and are now unplayable. Not had a single issue with an original CD though - some are over 30 years old and play (and rip) perfectly.
I must admit that all this talk of CDs has got me window shopping for a top end CD player (at knock-down, bargain-basement 2nd hand price). Must...resist...

I have a few CD-Rs that have suffered 'ink bleed' and are now unplayable. Not had a single issue with an original CD though - some are over 30 years old and play (and rip) perfectly.
I must admit that all this talk of CDs has got me window shopping for a top end CD player (at knock-down, bargain-basement 2nd hand price). Must...resist...

I thought it was remarkable it could be done atall!
I burned a few LPs for the car but mostly for a friend who was so damaged he could never work again. A grey area in the rip-off debate then. He would never have accepted me giving him full priced CDs so this was a handy workaround.

The only unplayable CD I own is also the very first one I bought: Floored Genius by Julian Cope/The Teardrop Explodes. It started behaving oddly on the final track (Safesurfer), and gradually got worse, so now only the first four or five tracks play. Never had a problem with any other CD.

CD's are still a viable thing.Some things you just can't buy on vinyl.
Walter Beckers - 11 Tracks of Whack can't be had on vinyl. Even if it was ever re-released It will never will be cut from the original master tapes . They got burned in the fire of all fires, along with everything Steely Dan ever did. Bloody tragedy that fire.

Since I got a Bluesound Vault, ie a cd burner with hard disc/nas, and streamer in one, I don't see the need to handle the cd every time. Just play it and it is automatically in the nas. I am so fond of this that I will get a better one, ie the Innous ZenMini.
I will keep one cd transport for when there is no wifi to use the nas.

Since I got a Bluesound Vault, ie a cd burner with hard disc/nas, and streamer in one, I don't see the need to handle the cd every time. Just play it and it is automatically in the nas. I am so fond of this that I will get a better one, ie the Innous ZenMini.
I will keep one cd transport for when there is no wifi to use the nas.
I don't think I've played a CD since ripping my modest collection a few years back - so convenient via the Innuos server with (at least to my ears) no loss in sound quality.
I assume from your post that you are using the internal dac in the Vault? If so you might want to consider a 'better' external dac - I didn't find the dac in the Vault to be anything special.
As far as changing to the Innuos Zen Mini - I'm not sure you would find this to be an upgrade on the Vault unless of course you intend to buy the matching Innuos LPS?

CDs have never been away. Millions of happy CD owners and users have been wading through the detritus that is streaming (pish), DACs (oh my )" and ye use a CD player anyway "? Bluetooth ? even yer grannie wouldnae use it . My Uncle Wullie said that he had a wee Sony radio, used it at his work (on the railways) in 1962, "sounded better than any o' the keech selt noo"

I couldn't dream of ripping any of my disc's.
I can understand that - it's not for everyone.
I just find the convenience more than makes up for any perceived loss in sound quality.
I've gone from laptop to Bluesound Vault to Innuos Zen to Innuos Zenith which I think will likely be the end of my journey.

It’s partly a generational thing. I like hard copy. Also the internet can be removed at the whim of the authorities, and not necessarily your own. We keep a gas cylinder and burner ostensibly for a proper wok experience but is also for Armageddon:) I’m thinking of a generator rather than a new kitchen as a lifestyle choice of these altered times?

I couldn't dream of ripping any of my disc's.
A cd record is a physical medie as is vinyl.

I'd simply avoid any computer involvement with my music replay, only very rarely do I stream music (apart from radio/podcast).

I'm comfortable with this.

I have always avoided involving the computer in hifi music and would never have copied a cd if they had not come out with cd player that automatically burns the cd without you using a computer, except the mobile device as a remote.

I don't think I've played a CD since ripping my modest collection a few years back - so convenient via the Innuos server with (at least to my ears) no loss in sound quality.
I assume from your post that you are using the internal dac in the Vault? If so you might want to consider a 'better' external dac - I didn't find the dac in the Vault to be anything special.
As far as changing to the Innuos Zen Mini - I'm not sure you would find this to be an upgrade on the Vault unless of course you intend to buy the matching Innuos LPS?

Thanks. Good to hear that you like the Innous. I plan on getting the Innous LPS as it is highly recommended by the dealer (Border Patrol sells Innous) as well as by the reviewers. So much so that one review on Darko blog says it is the difference between needing an outboard dac and using the ZenMini internal dac.
I do have a few good dacs and am looking for another. I also use an audiolab 6000cdt with a PS Audo NewWave DSD dac.

advertisement

Back