advertisement

The best sounding piece of kit you've ever owned (or enjoyed the most)

The more I think about this the more I suspect it is the humble Quad 303 for me. It was part of a system that got me interested in audio in the first place back in the mid-70s and has been a part of various systems of my own that have unlocked most of the music I care about. When appropriately partnered it just gets right out of the way as all the very best hi-fi should. Simple, well built, easy to maintain, green, and surprisingly capable with good speakers.

tenpercenter wrote.. Pink Triangle Anni - mad to sell it, best turntable I have heard.

My PT Anni has given me 30 years of trouble free and glorious sounding service, I'd love to know what Arthur K was taking when he designed it. ;) Mine has just gone over to Truepoint Audio for a service given it's age.
My other nomination would be the Chord DAC64 (mk2). A truly ground breaking product at the time, sure there may be better sounding DACs now but the '64 raised the bar. It still sounds lovely after all these years.

I think for myself, my most enjoyable system was a Naim 72/140 and CD3.5/flatcap, into Royd Doublets. I then got onto the Naim up-grade wagon and never really was satisfied until I moved away from that brand. But for a simple system, that brought so much enjoyment!

Presently:

Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME V turntable

LFD LPCD integrated amplifier

Sonus Faber Electa Amator II loudspeakers

Nakamichi CR-7A and Revox B215-S cassette decks

Previously:

LFD NCSE I integrated amplifier

Goldring/Lenco GL75 turntable

TEAD Vibe and Groove pre amp and phono stage

Michell Alecto monoblock power amplifiers

Neat Petite I loudspeakers on Kudos S-100 stands

Probably a lowly pair of Quad 11L Classics (not to be mistaken with the earlier 11 & 12 L's) which are still used in my 2nd system. So musical, so cheap, so well made.

The more I think about this the more I suspect it is the humble Quad 303 for me. It was part of a system that got me interested in audio in the first place back in the mid-70s and has been a part of various systems of my own that have unlocked most of the music I care about. When appropriately partnered it just gets right out of the way as all the very best hi-fi should. Simple, well built, easy to maintain, green, and surprisingly capable with good speakers.
Very probably the same for me too.

B&W801 series 80, driven by a Nakamichi CA7/PA7 in a huge room. The room allowed them to deliver the effortless scale that they are capable of.

Sony CDP-555ESD.

Simply oozes quality and unless I find a CDP-R1 and DAS-R1 it'll be the end game for me as far as redbook replay goes.

Other honourable mentions go to: TD125mk2 with SME3009, Leak Stereo 20, Tannoy Ardens and Creek CAS4040 S2.

A couple of years down the line and I need to update the above.

I still have the Sony CDP-555esd but my reference CD source is now a Marantz CD12 transport and DA12 DAC, which is marginally even better.

The Leak is also still here but again has been usurped by a Radford STA25.

I would now add to the list my Music First Classic V2 magnetic massive pre amp, which is stunningly good and likely the end game as far as pre amps go for me.

The best piece of equipment I've owned is my current speakers - the MBL101e mk2's.

They do place particular requirements on the equipment driving them, but when it's right the whole system just disappears, leaving a musical performance in the room in a way box-bound speakers just can't match.

A Logik DM101 turntable I bought sometime in early 1982, my first real turntable, I couldn't believe how good it was compared to the rubbish I had been listening to previously. It initially had a Linn Basik LVII and a MM cartridge feeding into an A&R A60 and Alison 6s

Leben CS300 and CS600 amps both glorious musical valve integrateds… the CS300 a little on the mire “exciting” sound of the spectrum the CS600 more full bodied and more controlled in it’s presentation but both excellent.

Current set up of Harbeth M30.1s and Mark Levinson 585 is also excellent, very natural, relaxed and musically involving.

For ownership it would have to be my original Xerxes(mahogany)/HR100mcs/Lydian MKi.
Totally absorbing musical pleasure, plus a pretty thing to boot, though I suspect the rest of the system may have chipped in a little ;)

Michell Gyrodec for me, bought 3 years after I sold my max spec LP12 as a stopgap until I could reacquire an LP12, but it’s still here 3 years on as I actually prefer it and it looks stunning unlike the LP12.

Evening all, first post so be gentle:)
First tuner I ever had or heard made by far the biggest impression on me and really set me
off on this lifetime pursuit of better quality audio reproduction.
Up until my first experience of a proper tuner I'd only ever listened to cheap portable
radios, so the revelation to my ears of that first, crystal clear stereo FM radio programme
has stayed with me till now, 46 years later!
The tuner to blame was a Realistic TM1000
Don't laugh it was a bit of a bombshell to realize that radio could be that good.
Thr aerial was an old black and white TV one left languishing in the loft after we got our
first colour telly in 1968.

I've looked for an introduction thread, if there is one if anyone could point me in the right
direction I fill you in on the remainder of my journey thus far.

Regards Andy

For me - both - owned and enjoyed.
Right through the 90's.
Xerxes TT / Creek amp / Royd Edens.
Played records every day. Loved how it sounded. Never had urge to upgrade.
Completely satisfied. Happy days

Probably my late 70s vintage LP12, since then it has been pretty much completely rebuilt so only the lid, plinth and top plate remain from the original deck.

I do have very fond memories of this deck with a 42/110 into Kans.

A tough one for sure, but I think it would have to be my Pink Triangle PTTOO, RB300, AT-OC7

This was my first high end deck back in the day, and it just made me want to buy as much vinyl as I possibly could to play on the thing.

Happy days.!

advertisement

Back