advertisement

The best audio system on earth?

I think I could be quite happy in this room.

WE-Main-1-2000px.jpg
Bet he’s not married 😂

Personally I’d go for the MBL system and room, but it’s a manufacturer promo shot (fairly obviously) so it’s probably not a real living space anyway. The big horn room has a TV in it. Yuk..

Listening, years ago, to music on a dedicated digital audio player via Etymotic ER4 IEMs convinced me I could get less mid-range muddle than came from my then contemporary 'speakers. The seach for equivalent mid-range clarity led me to my curent active ATCs. The Etymotics were not budget IEMs but yes the ATCs did cost a lot more.
I never got on with the Etymotics. I thought they were extremely bass light. I swapped them for a pair of Ultimate Ears (the ones below the Triple Fi’s which I couldn’t afford) and they were brilliant for 10 years or more.

I should think most people who've read this thread are climbing the walls.
I've been semi-following it, just to see reactions to someones description of "the best hi-fi in the world". To this woman, there's been so much stereotypical masculinity with some heated posts that have been by turns amusing & exasperating, all for the sake of first world "stuff". I've even seen something resembling narcissistic projection & rage. Heavens! Then I find it best to stop reading & put a record on.

I've enjoyed the recent musing about the listening habits of young & old. I prefer listening on the hi-fi myself but find streaming with my phone & wireless earbuds an invaluable sanity preserver at work.

Anyway, here's my view on the best hi-fi in the world. It's mine! 😁 - as is every persons hi-fi if they're satisfied with it .

All ‘blokes hobbies’ involve spending money on chasing ‘better’.
A particular subset of "better" is the pursuit of "the complete collection of" which seems to be an almost exclusively male thing.

For example, I have a modest stamp collection (QEII pre-decimal, as you ask) which sits there 95% complete because (a) I've lost interest and (b) the few holes are of stamps so rare in decent condition that they go for silly money. I'd rather spend it on music, thanks.

Closer to home, for some of us it's a collection of records by a particular artist, including special deluxe editions and all that, and some of the silliest prices are for stuff which is not necessarily musically compelling, it's just rare.

Ditto books. Ditto... well, add your own.

With the pursuit of completeness comes the need to organise! See stamp collecting above. No random pages here: sections for commemoratives, definitives, postage dues, regional issues, each organised by year within the genre.

I have no idea why this is a predominantly male thing.

A particular subset of "better" is the pursuit of "the complete collection of" which seems to be an almost exclusively male thing.

For example, I have a modest stamp collection (QEII pre-decimal, as you ask) which sits there 95% complete because (a) I've lost interest and (b) the few holes are of stamps so rare in decent condition that they go for silly money. I'd rather spend it on music, thanks.

Closer to home, for some of us it's a collection of records by a particular artist, including special deluxe editions and all that, and some of the silliest prices are for stuff which is not necessarily musically compelling, it's just rare.

With the pursuit of completeness comes the need to organise! See stamp collecting above. No random pages here: sections for commemoratives, definitives, postage dues, regional issues, each organised by year within the genre.

The post strikes me a truckload of bollocks😃

If I was a multi-millionaire I don't think I'd blink twice at considering some 6-fig speakers, if I thought they'd give me a better experience than more affordable ones and weren't uggers. Why not?

Better all the rich folk spend their dough and create jobs and industries than have it all stuffed into some shell account in the Bahamas.

Alas, I'm not a millionaire so I'll have to do lots of blinking.

Yes, completist mania. My wife likes music, has a big Spotify playlist always adding to it, before that she had masses of best ofs etc. I always sought the albums out & looked down on compilations. You get a bit of that on here, only the other week someone basically said that people who didn’t have physical media were not real music fans.

I’ve never really collected on the basis of rarity, just tried to get clean pressing at sensible prices. All the valuable record I own are purely accidental.

If I was a multi-millionaire I don't think I'd blink twice at considering some 6-fig speakers, if I thought they'd give me a better experience than more affordable ones and weren't uggers. Why not?

Better all the rich folk spend their dough and create jobs and industries than have it all stuffed into some shell account in the Bahamas.

Alas, I'm not a millionaire so I'll have to do lots of blinking.
Trickle down economics has long been discredited;) I’d certainly buy some more expensive gear if I had the money but I’d stay away from the velum end.

I’m probably going to buy an expensive bicycle this week, I can readily afford it but it does feel rather vulgar.

advertisement

Back