advertisement

The best audio system on earth?

karlsushi

pfm Member
A bold claim perhaps, but I think there are plenty of people that attended the Audio Show Deluxe over the weekend that can attest to the Boyer Room surely being the pinnacle of audio reproduction in 2024. This wasn't about 'flavour' or 'personal preference', just the ultimate in realistic and accurate audio reproduction. It took 'being in the room' to a whole new level.

I wanted to start a thread on this because it has opened some interesting talking points.

Firstly to say I have no vested interests or long-held opinions that I want to push here, I simply want to highlight some cold hard facts of what were in that system, that may (or may not) have led to it being the best audio system on earth. How much influence each aspect had on the sound, remains to be seen, but these are the main take-aways from my own observations:

- Big fat power supplies, especially at the digital end (as demonstrated by the huge separate supplies powering the WADAX server and DAC units - and incidentally, the most expensive bit of the system - sources first!!)
- Cables matter (there I said it - but sorry guys, this system used big expensive cables from start to finish. Shunyata cabling throughout including their £25k Omega speaker cables - ouch!)
- Power distribution matters (again, Shunyata kit used here including that big Everest tower - with a few more boxes besides)
- They used two different sets of speakers, but a very interesting talking point here was that the Kromer Atelier stand-mounts they were premiering (and which sounded nigh-on as good as the big floor-standers), were, as far as I could tell, by far the cheapest component in the entire chain when that system was hooked-up. In fact, the Shunyata cables plugged into them cost a grand more than they did - go figure).
- Valves reign king - sorry again folks, but the preamp and power amps were all-valve from front to back, including the power supplies. 845 output valves in the stunning (and massive) Engstrom ERIC encore Monos. As an aside, we all knew this really, but 70W is plenty in what was a massive room (into 89dB sensitivity speakers).
- One to boost the measurists here, the speaker drivers were made by Purifi.
- They had a turntable, but I'm not sure they used it all weekend. Would have loved to have heard it and no doubt digital was largely used for practical reasons, but in terms of sound quality, that debate is surely now put to bed.

Anyway, take a bow Boyer Audio.

It is the best sound I have ever heard in 40 years of attending shows. This is considering it was show conditions and the stand mounts were playing at the time. The bass reproduction considering the speakers were half way into the listening space and driven by valves was breath taking. Very pleased I had the opportunity to experience it yesterday. Shows just what is possible when you get the synergy right.

but a very interesting talking point here was that the Kromer Atelier stand-mounts they were premiering (and which sounded nigh-on as good as the big floor-standers), were, as far as I could tell, by far the cheapest component in the entire chain when that system was hooked-up. In fact, the Shunyata cables plugged into them cost a grand more than they did - go figure).
believe me I do.

How do you know the influence of specific components (like power cords, speaker cables) without even listening to this system with replacements? The system could have sounded just as good with off the shelves cabling...
That was exactly what I thought. Even if I could afford it such systems have no interest to me.

For those of us who didn’t attend, can anyone advise the full list of kit on demo?

Just interested as the comments I’ve seen have indeed been overwhelmingly positive.

observations:

- Big fat power supplies, especially at the digital end (as demonstrated by the huge separate supplies powering the WADAX server and DAC units - and incidentally, the most expensive bit of the system - sources first!!)
- Cables matter (there I said it - but sorry guys, this system used big expensive cables from start to finish. Shunyata cabling throughout including their £25k Omega speaker cables - ouch!)
- Power distribution matters (again, Shunyata kit used here including that big Everest tower - with a few more boxes besides)
As mentioned by others you have no valid reason to assert this. I may as well assert that Red Bull’s F1 car is fast because there’s a picture of a bull on it. This is not to say that these things definitely don’t matter, just that your experience here is not enough to assert that they do. You’d need to replace these components and listen again (preferably in some kind of “blind” testing).
- Valves reign king - sorry again folks, but the preamp and power amps were all-valve from front to back, including the power supplies. 845 output valves in the stunning (and massive) Engstrom ERIC encore Monos. As an aside, we all knew this really, but 70W is plenty in what was a massive room (into 89dB sensitivity speakers).
Ditto!
Anyway, take a bow Boyer Audio.
Thanks for posting though, I’m minded to try to get to the event myself next year if they’ll be doing a demo room again.

FWIW here’s the room in question:

(10 minutes in if my direct link doesn’t work)

PS As many here know I’ve pretty much lost all interest in modern audio. Certainly this sort of stuff. The best audio of the golden age was all about finding new and innovative ways to bring high quality home audio to the majority of listeners. Quad, Klipsch, Leak, Garrard, Thorens, AR, Rega, Naim etc were never cheap, but they were all attainable. Far too much modern audio is the exact reverse to my eyes; the selling of very old technology to a super-wealthy elite just by adding increased mass, bling and pseudoscience. I watched the whole show walk around above and as usual found it hugely depressing. A once innovative and vibrant industry reduced year by year to recursively selling the same stuff encrusted in ever more bling to ever richer people. A quick look inside Trump Tower before the bailiffs arrive.

Given the astronomical cost of the system, the usefulness for us mere audio mortals is in deducing what makes a difference, as outlined above by karlsushi. So in no particular order...

- massive power supplies
- tube amplification, in this case EC8010 cap coupled into 6L6 triode, transformer coupled into 845. Balanced push-pull.
- non-resonant speaker cabinets - the Kromer Atelier stand-mounts are made from Krion, which is two-thirds natural minerals (ATH – aluminium trihydrate) and a low percentage of high-resistance resins. otherwise they're a 2 way with 6.5" mid-bass. Purifi drivers so good quality.
- really good front end server and Dac with big power supplies as above
- posh cables

Scale that down for a modest size domestic listening room and we get...
- really good front end server and Dac
- a push-pull tube amp with a significantly large power supply and DHT outputs
- speakers with good units and non-resonant cabinets
- good cables

Nothing we don't know already, and which a lot of us have at lower levels of cost. But it's interesting to see the equipment choices made by Boyer.

FWIW here’s the room in question:

(10 minutes in if my direct link doesn’t work)

PS As many here know I’ve pretty much lost all interest in modern audio. Certainly this sort of stuff. The best audio of the golden age was all about finding new and innovative ways to bring high quality home audio to the majority of listeners. Quad, Klipsch, Leak, Garrard, Thorens, AR, Rega, Naim etc were never cheap, but they were all attainable. Far too much modern audio is the exact reverse to my eyes; the selling of very old technology to a super-wealthy elite just by adding increased mass, bling and pseudoscience. I watched the whole show walk around above and as usual found it hugely depressing. A once innovative and vibrant industry reduced year by year to recursively selling the same stuff encrusted in ever more bling to ever richer people. A quick look inside Trump Tower before the bailiffs arrive.
I guess a lot of this stuff has become a bit like car shows where firms show off futuristic looking £££ supercar prototypes.

Nothing wrong with that if that's what floats your boat (or superyacht).

But I suspect if I was a petrolhead I'd have more fun checking out the rusty old junk at an autojumble.

I think you will find this is the greatest hifi system on the planet, and John Atkinson agrees.... his "I saw god.... lottery win" system.

Bit spendy though, but probably similar to the Boyer system

x-treme_bauhaus_sommer-7bb17d7e.jpg

advertisement

Back