advertisement

The best audio system on earth?

This was my point really, not that kids don't like music or there isn't any good new music coming out, but that commenting on threads here about expensive kit putting off the kids is pointless because they aren't buying the cheap stuff either as it's not how they're listening to music.

One device like a phone covers many bases plus we have the 'rent everything' generation now so media is all on subscription along with the phone, in fact a lot of phone contracts come with bundled media subscriptions so the outlay aspect is moot because they're having the phone anyway which in effect is a free hi-fi.
There's also the fact that if you're living in a room in a houseshare because rent is so high - and I know plenty of peeps in London in their 40s still doing this - a load of hi-fi boxes and 2000 records is pretty much the last thing you need.

They sound like a nice crowd to work with.

Well they were a good bunch and I learned a lot from a technical aspect but very non PC and blokey/banterish but given the location (Lee Anderson's constituency) they were of their area if that makes sense. They were all typical red wall racist Labour voters (ducks and runs for cover) but salt of the earth.

It doesn't sound long ago in my head but it was a very different time and place, lots of drink driving, smoking on the shop floor and in the tiny 10 foot canteen where you couldn't see across the room at lunch time, no PPE, operating an overheard crane with no training or proper equipment but stuff got done and nobody died etc.

The big game changer was the Walkman in the 80s, teenagers could listen to their own music without parents telling them to turn it down etc. That was over 40 years ago!

When I bought my first hifi I was the only person I knew with a separates system. 30 years later I reckon I have four friends with a set up of some sort but nothing like what I have.

Would I ever have found out about Cymande without streaming? I very much doubt it.

I’ve never seen a young person enter a room with a great stereo playing, pause in their tracks, then squat the way gorillas do when taking a crap so their ears drop to the same level as the tweeters.

Quite honestly, the youth are a hopelessly lost generation, having never experienced the sweet spot by assuming the gorilla crap pose as we often do when assessing a hi-fi. This is why our great hobby and passion will die with our generation.

Joe

The big game changer was the Walkman in the 80s, teenagers could listen to their own music without parents telling them to turn it down etc. That was over 40 years ago!

When I bought my first hifi I was the only person I knew with a separates system. 30 years later I reckon I have four friends with a set up of some sort but nothing like what I have.

Would I ever have found out about Cymande without streaming? I very much doubt it.
I had a real nice pair of Koss headphones that had fluid filled ear pads and separate volume controls built into the headphone. I had a twenty five foot extension cord and could plug into my receiver and lay on my bed and listen without disturbing the household.

il_570xN.433746294_tnb2.jpg

Fifty year later I have acquired a pair of Airpods Max that I’m really digging and have become a part of my daily lifestyle.

There's also the fact that if you're living in a room in a houseshare because rent is so high - and I know plenty of peeps in London in their 40s still doing this - a load of hi-fi boxes and 2000 records is pretty much the last thing you need.

Someone in their 40s came along too late to have a 2000-record collection. They could have 2000 CDs though.

Someone in their 40s came along too late to have a 2000-record collection. They could have 2000 CDs though.

The YouTube crowd of Michael45, Nadine (SoulDisco), Stunty, Jazz Shepherd, and Mike from The In Groove have massive record collections. I’m hopeless at judging people’s ages, but I think they are all in their 40s. It is certainly possible! Most of these deal to some degree, but that has always been the case in the real collector scene. Few could afford to do it without buying and selling.

PS I’ve had a record collection since school and have lived in some of the worst ‘80s flats imaginable. I’ve had times when I had to dump the collection back at my patents or with friends as I had to move around for contracts etc. Again if you’ve got the mindset you do it. No idea how I’d do it now though, I have a crazy amount of stuff! My own collection isn’t the problem, its everything else!

I had the good fortune to babysit a friends 500 plus record collection for a few years while he was living in Alaska.

If I'd stuck with CD I'd probably have about that number now at 44, I doubt I'll ever own anything over 1000 records for various reasons. I listen a lot on the go mainly driving, but I've never got on with headphones/earbuds and portable audio. I can't get earbuds to stay in my ears unless they're like those Etymotic kind you jam down your ear canal and headphones are just too much faff.

@Flat p, oh I know, I tried airpod pros, ended up with Samsung bud 2 for the gym and fiio fh9 and uwmt5 for none sweaty stuff.

Valves and horns. A completely marmite system that will never please everyone. They generally do dynamics right, but little else.

Thats a really practical, easy to live with example

I’ve never seen a young person enter a room with a great stereo playing, pause in their tracks, then squat the way gorillas do when taking a crap so their ears drop to the same level as the tweeters.

Quite honestly, the youth are a hopelessly lost generation, having never experienced the sweet spot by assuming the gorilla crap pose as we often do when assessing a hi-fi. This is why our great hobby and passion will die with our generation.

Joe
Squat?
At 72.
Are you mad Joe?

advertisement

Back