advertisement

The Beatles vrs The Doors

I think that's a bit harsh on Bovines. Perhaps music produced by The Beatles is utter shite? ;)

P.S. To be fair to Linda, her sausages are quite good.

I listen to the Doors more than I listen to the Beatles. QED.

That doesn't mean you're all wrong, just that I'm right.

I want to take your opinion seriously, but that's dependant on what you sell in your shop.

Ask anyone under 25 and they will have at least heard of The Beatles.

I also can never get over the Light My Fire organ bit with what is supposed to be some dark brooding sung vocal with this bloody awful happy ditty on the organ that would be more at home on the Sooty & Sweep Show (I'm going for era here). It's just crap. Worse than crap - in fact it's one of those songs that has me rushing to change the radio channel. When he played it was he doing that happy grinning-loon Christopher Biggins type thing straight into the camera?

The Doors had no coherence as a group - it was just an unremarkable backing band for Jim Morrison's ego who instead of looking cool, just looked like a tit.
From that era (before my time I might add), if you wanted cool, you wanted Dave Berry.

I'm not really a big fan of The Beatles, but I do acknowledge their importance.

I love both. I can recommend the Doors Perception Boxset.

Also, there is a great documentary on iPlayer at the moment on their Debut album as part of the Classic Album series.

Waz

I want to take your opinion seriously, but that's dependant on what you sell in your shop.

Record players - but surely it would be dependent on my views on the Beatles.

1) They were the first manufactured band - 2 or 3 years slog in Hamburg clubs and Northern dancehalls would suggest otherwise. Bands have been "manufactured" since the days records were first made.

2) Produced some of the dullest & most overrated music ever - If it were true they would never have sold anything.

3) Designed to be sold - well it's pop music and very good pop music at that, so it wasn't designed NOT to be sold, but then again the first album was basically their live set recorded "designed" to get people excited live.

4) even Wacko admired them - maybe he also admired Linda's sausages.

5) How can any true music fan like Macca? He inflicted Linda's music* & singing* on us - because of the Beatles of course - probably worth pointing out that we weren't really subjected to her singing because she was almost always faded out of the mix on Wings records - she wasn't very good - but I thought this was about the Beatles :)

Record players - but surely it would be dependent on my views on the Beatles.
You were talking about sausages!
They were the first manufactured band - 2 or 3 years slog in Hamburg clubs and Northern dancehalls would suggest otherwise. Bands have been "manufactured" since the days records were first made.
I was talking about the machine they went through, & became, after the touring years. Of course bands have been manufactured for a long time, but not since day one.
IMO there seems a clear correlation that the more manufactured the band, the more formulated & mediocre the music.
Produced some of the dullest & most overrated music ever - If it were true they would never have sold anything.
Sales for Take That, Blue, Boyzone, etc., suggest otherwise.
Designed to be sold - well it's pop music and very good pop music at that, so it wasn't designed NOT to be sold, but then again the first album was basically their live set recorded "designed" to get people excited live.
I think the best music is made for listening, & maybe to inspire.
even Wacko admired them - maybe he also admired Linda's sausages.
I don’t know about that, but rumour has it Wacko enjoyed an occasional small sausage.
.. probably worth pointing out that we weren't really subjected to her singing because she was almost always faded out of the mix on Wings records - she wasn't very good - but I thought this was about the Beatles :)
Linda wasn't very good? That's like saying Jeffery Archer was a bit naughty! Linda’s crimes against music were facilitated by Macca, who had associations with the Beatles.
The case for the prosecution rests. For the time being! :D

Beatles V Doors?

A bit like Single Malt V Pate De Froi Gras.

Both Brilliant, but very different.

For the record, I bought every Doors LP & Every Beatles LP on the day of release. Still got them as well.

Chris

I was talking about the machine they went through, & became, after the touring years. Of course bands have been manufactured for a long time, but not since day one.

IMO there seems a clear correlation that the more manufactured the band, the more formulated & mediocre the music.

They weren't manufactured from day one. Are you sure you aren't getting them confused with the Monkees?

Not necessarily - Most of the output from Motown in the sixties could quite literally be described as manufactured and formulated - and yet it's some of the greatest pop music of the 20th century

We'll have to wait another 30 years to see

I think the best music is made for listening, & maybe to inspire.

Do you genuinely think that people who listen to the Beatles don't really listen and are uninspired by it? What? Do you think they are all mistaken and have been taken in by some massive conspiracy to listen to stuff they don't like?

Linda wasn't very good? That's like saying Jeffery Archer was a bit naughty! Linda’s crimes against music were facilitated by Macca, who had associations with the Beatles.

She's wasn't Dr Mengele.

They weren't manufactured from day one. Are you sure you aren't getting them confused with the Monkees?

:) There's always one going on about the Beatles being 'manufactured'. Get your facts straight for goodness sake.

Still - you're wrong, you know you are. People who claim not to like anything by the Beatles are in denial.

I agree with Mescalito, there's little to no comparison to be drawn between the two bands.

beatles may have started out as, arguably, 'manufactured' (by no-one other then themselves incidentally), but as their fame suddenly hit there'd be absolutely no-one who'd even dare to 'sculpt' them or 'manufacture' them in the tiniest ammount such was their power, not epstein, not record co's: no-one, and no-one ever after either. Its completely ridiculous to suggest Beatles were a 'manufactured' band.. they are almost the perfect eg/ antithesis to a modern manufactured band, bar a fraction of their output at their start (which bears only a vague similarity with modern pop factory crap anyway). Very bewildering posts on this here.

Are you sure? I heard that bloke Einstein made them wear ties

Brian Einstein did of course famously manufacture another Paul in 1966 when the first one died, cloned from his brother Mike's DNA, which was the first test of his theory of relativity.

Are you sure you aren't getting them confused with the Monkees?
No, but it’s an easy mistake to make.
Not necessarily - Most of the output from Motown in the sixties could quite literally be described as manufactured and formulated - and yet it's some of the greatest pop music of the 20th century
In your opinion, but not to my ears as it all sounds a bit formulated.
Produced some of the dullest & most overrated music ever - If it were true they would never have sold anything.
We'll have to wait another 30 years to see
You can wait if you want, but those sales figures are available now & appear to confirm some of the dullest/most overrated music sells in millions.
Do you genuinely think that people who listen to the Beatles don't really listen and are uninspired by it? What? Do you think they are all mistaken and have been taken in by some massive conspiracy to listen to stuff they don't like?
From your comment "it's pop music and very good pop music at that, so it wasn't designed NOT to be sold", I was making a general observation about the motive for music makers. Is it for sale, for listening pleasure, or somewhere in between? The Beatles have always struck me as an extremely commercial band, & IMO the plethora of box sets reinforces this.
She's wasn't Dr Mengele.
Musically, Linda Macca was much more like Harold Shipman. Many who encountered her output were musically snuffed.
Still - you're wrong, you know you are. People who claim not to like anything by the Beatles are in denial.
Anex - I have been to Egypt, but I didn't go swimming. Please inform me further about myself: I’m intrigued!

advertisement

Back