advertisement

The Beatles vrs The Doors

zener

fluff
OK the Beatles output is quite a bit more than the Doors and also more consistant , but i cant help feeling that the Doors wrote some much much better songs , they went where the Beatles never did ....The Beatles never wrote a song to touch "The End" as an example , the Doors were also far better musicians (JM excepted) ..full stop , you've only got to compare drummers to work that one out:). I also consider the lyrics far more haunting and questoning than the Beatles. I wrote this because I had a Doors/Beatles night on the headphones last night , just got into them both , went to bed at 1 in the morning....sleep

One of the nice things about the Beatles is that they generally kept their pieces short and under control.
Morrison's poetic pretentions are sometimes plain funny.

Did the Beatles ever take us through the doors of perception - are you kidding - Maxwell's Silver Hammer ffs

Did the Beatles really ever change the world? - not a chance - But I can still remember the effect of The End, Break on Through and When the Music's Over

And the scream on Roadhouse Blues live just encapsulates the wildness at the end of the 60's

Anyone who disagrees - outside now!

Tim

Another of the nice things about the Beatles is that none of their lead singers was a annoying twit. ;-)

I always like to think that 'Fatman in the Bathtub' by Little Feat was a tribute to Jim Morrison.

Mind you, that 'Live in Pittsburgh' CD that came out a while ago really rocks - but it's nearly all blues stuff.

doors are shit. seriously, that fkn organ is just SO rubbish! i wanna biff him as soon as he starts playing his synthesizer, like i do either gallaher bro. i reckon they're the least talked about band on pfm, & for good reason.

The Doors always sounded a bit thin to me, as though they didn't have a bassist.

Joe

doors are shit. seriously, that fkn organ is just SO rubbish! i wanna biff him as soon as he starts playing his synthesizer, like i do either gallaher bro. i reckon they're the least talked about band on pfm, & for good reason.

i like the organ... one of the best and most recognizable parts of the band.

To my ear The Doors always teetered on the edge between brilliance and Holiday Inn Lounge Act lameness.

To my ear The Doors always teetered on the edge between brilliance and Holiday Inn Lounge Act lameness.

spot-on. I too think they could've been quite fab & groovy.. like without the flamin organ-man! he looked like hed just come from a library.. not very groovy-baby.

For eg: Light my Fi-yer. The 1st beat is great. I like the 1st beat. Then the most godawful, horrible, out-of tune organ twiddly twaddle thats ever graced a recording studio. Then nice voice, all perfectly fine.. until the organ solo. I dont like this bit.. you get the idea..

I like the Doors and I like the Beatles...

But which is best?

Theres only one way to find out...

FIGHT!

but I think we miss a trick here...its the Beatles FFS! :D

Paul

spot-on. I too think they could've been quite fab & groovy.. like without the flamin organ-man! he looked like hed just come from a library.. not very groovy-baby.

For eg: Light my Fi-yer. The 1st beat is great. I like the 1st beat. Then the most godawful, horrible, out-of tune organ twiddly twaddle thats ever graced a recording studio. Then nice voice, all perfectly fine.. until the organ solo. I dont like this bit.. you get the idea..

I absolutely love that bit ... in fact it's the BEST bit. Prefer the Beatles though.

I have a Canadian friend who saw the Doors play live in their prime and she said they were something else entirely and that Jim Morrison scared the shit out of the powers that be in a way the Beatles never did ... but she prefers the Beatles too.

Strange, on mine the Doors win by 21.2 million to 16.5 million.

Edit: using google direct finds 76 million entries for the Beatles, but there's 122 million entries for Doors. Anyway, it was tongue-in-cheek.

The Doors = real band, performances always smokin' & fantastic music!

Maybe try the other ear then? ;)
That's the difference between musical genius & mediocrity IMO. The doors weren't afraid to take risks & push the boundaries. Talking of musical mediocrity ...

The Beatles = 1st manufactured band. Produced some of the dullest & most overrated music ever. Designed to be sold, so much so even Wacko admired them.
How can any true music fan like Macca? He inflicted Linda's music* & singing* on us!

*Terms used lightly

I just tried it - depends whether you do The Beatles v The Doors; Beatles v The Doors; The Beatles v Doors or Beatles v Doors. You get very different results. But (The) Doors will include all sorts of references to Doors other than the Jim Morrison variety. If you do Paul McCartney v Jim Morrison, McCartney wins 6m to 4m, Lennon gets 5m. Ringo beats John Densmore 2.5m to 64k.

advertisement

Back