advertisement

The Beatles Sgt Pepper

Drugs, sex, eastern religion, British pioneers of early electronic music, Beatniks, R & R, Early peace movements, working class with a larger disposable income, my brain hurts. not my favourite record of all time, doubt if it would make my top 1000, but I can understand why others may like this.

Bloss

Not like it was different to anything that came before and was pure brilliance in production and innovation?

What would be your number one?

You just want to know about the Beatles Sgt Pepper and not any other bands Sgt Pepper?

It has one awe inspiring song (A Day in the Life). Otherwise, it's a curate's egg and very far from their best work. I would put Rubber Soul, Revolver, Beatles for Sale, Abbey Road and the White Album ahead of it.

It is what it is (profound huh?) and suffers from overkill but I much prefer Freak Out and Piper At The Gates of Dawn from that period.

Just opinions on what made this maybe the greatest album of all time?

You asked this question a year ago... opinions won't have changed.

Is there no love here for the most influential and best album ever made, lets face it guys without this. rock, pop etc as we know it would not exist.:cool:

It was a long long time ago (ask your mother she should know ) and it has not aged well. But then not a lot stands listening to except for nostalgic reasons. Lots of Beatles albums were far better and have stood the test of time better. It is a novelty record and IMO was at the time.

Greatest album status is a moving feast and would change generation by generation. You also have to set the terms of the discussion.

Should you really ask " most influential " ? ( then ,see above )

Influential then.

I think it sounds as fresh today as it always has and stood the test of time very well, especially the new Giles Martin mix.

Influential then.

I think it sounds as fresh today as it always has and stood the test of time very well, especially the new Giles Martin mix.

I think that at least half of it was only fit to be played by Ed 'Stewpot" Stewart on Junior Choice.

Others may think differently.

I also think that it was the the product of a disintegrating songwriting partnership . I suspect that they had become very rich, had seperate interests and separate lives and no longer spent time together as they use to. They wrote separately and arrived at the studio with snatches of songs that didn't get the input of the other as they use to do.
Paul McCartneys propensity to write ditties was coming to the fore and the album is , on the whole , light weight fluff. I think that the studio production was influential , not the album per se . Before Sgt P you got a couple of days studio time to lay down well rehearsed, (well tried out through touring ) songs as quickly as possible. The wealth of the Beatles and the fact that they were the first band to give up touring whilst still being very popular changed the way albums came to be recorded.

Last edited:
I'd argue that it is far from the greatest album of all time. Yes it might have been influential decades again, but that was it. I listened back a year or so ago, and I thought it was terrible. Thin poorly produced sound with child like lyrics.

I'd argue that it is far from the greatest album of all time. Yes it might have been influential decades again, but that was it. I listened back a year or so ago, and I thought it was terrible. Thin poorly produced sound with child like lyrics.

Are you sure that was Sgt Pepper you listened too?

I like this final quote from the Rolling Stone magazine review "We live in soundscapes now that Sgt. Pepper helped lay the groundwork for."

totally sure - and yes it was influential ("lay the groundwork for") in it's day, so the Rolling Stone quote is correct, but that was a long time ago.

The review was posted last year:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...s-anniversary-editions-reveal-wonders-121092/

You said thin poorly produced sound, it was that which made me question your opinion?

I know, I looked up the quote and read the review. And yes I do not deny it started something - and the review tells us
that:

Not so much for its psychedelic vision, rather for what it set in form, cohesion, texture, layers, adventurism, technology and utter boldness. Those possibilities bore fruit across the breadth of popular music, in Born to Run, Around the World in a Day, OK Computer, Yeezus, Lemonade and To Pimp a Butterfly, among countless others.

the sphere of influence is watered down by time and layers and layers of the work of many others. It is what it is, an album of its time

I know, I looked up the quote and read the review. And yes I do not deny it started something - and the review tells us
that:

the sphere of influence is watered down by time and layers and layers of the work of many others. It is what it is, an album of its time

That influence is still strongly felt and heard today. Listen to many songs especially from Floyd etc it is all there.

That influence is still strongly felt and heard today. Listen to many songs especially from Floyd etc it is all there.

I am not sure you understand what I am saying. I don't deny they laid the ground for others to build on, but I don't think they are of direct influence today. Whilst I and genetically related to my great great great grandfather, he has no direct influence on what I do. The album and the group are the great great grandfather of musical influence; distantly related but unimportant today.

Floyd hasn't exactly produced anything new in recent decades

advertisement

Back