advertisement

The Beatles Sgt Pepper

I am not sure you understand what I am saying. I don't deny they laid the ground for others to build on, but I don't think they are of direct influence today. Whilst I and genetically related to my great great great grandfather, he has no direct influence on what I do. The album and the group are the great great grandfather of musical influence; distantly related but unimportant today.

Floyd hasn't exactly produced anything new in recent decades

Try Google to see if what you are saying is true.

Try Google to see if what you are saying is true.

the article you quote intimates what I say is true. Anyway who cares - the Beatles had their day, and are now consigned to history. Their influence is indirect these days.

Clearly (given your username), your views are tainted by bias. Me, i have never had a favourite genre or artist.

the article you quote intimates what I say is true. Anyway who cares - the Beatles had their day, and are now consigned to history. Their influence is indirect these days.

Clearly (given your username), your views are tainted by bias. Me, i have never had a favourite genre or artist.

Confined to history, had their day.........oh well I am sure you feel you are right but the truth/evidence is far different.

Did you do a Google on who they still influence etc?

Confined to history, had their day.........oh well I am sure you feel you are right but the truth/evidence is far different.

Did you do a Google on who they still influence etc?

yes directly no one, indirectly some - I'm out - bye

I occasionally hear current bands who have obviously been influenced by the Beatles, but I hear very many more contemporary bands who are far more directly influenced by hip hop, soul and gospel.

That doesn’t diminish the Beatles influence but as time moves on the ripples are inevitablely not as strong as they were originally.

And of course the Beatles themselves took tremendous influence from Chuck Berry, Little Richard and other rockers, as well as later from the burgeoning underground psychedelic scene in the US.

Nick, you've just pointed me to a new favourite band. Holy hell, how ahead of their time were they, that's incredible, bits of electro, noise, DnB, techno, prog and krautrock all rolled into one. Epic.

Sgt Peppers is just badly produced old piece of pish with no real descendents in modern times

Nick, you've just pointed me to a new favourite band. Holy hell, how ahead of their time were they, that's incredible, bits of electro, noise, DnB, techno, prog and krautrock all rolled into one. Epic.

Sgt Peppers is just badly produced old piece of pish with no real descendents in modern times

Definitely! IMHO that track predicted drum & bass, dubstep and trip hop.

Their other tracks are pretty out there too, but not as electronic as that. Sort of a strange mix of Krautrock, post punk and a bit of prog and folk.

I liked ‘See Emily Play’ and after that forgot about Pink Floyd.
As for them being ‘ordinary in the extreme’ seems wrong, as millions loved ( and bought )
their music.
And that is great. But they just didn't cut it for me. They struck me as a band desperately rooting around for ideas and, on the whole, failing to find them. They just started disappearing up their own fundaments. My loss, I'm sure.

Chris

Hi Sgt pepper

I don't think it was the best album of all time. Love it, but wouldn't particularly make a case for it being the best. There are a handful of songs on it I don't really want to listen to and a few that haven't aged well.

Generally we're a bunch with wide ranging and varied musical tastes here on PFM. I sense your cheery posts to get everyone to say the Beatles are the be all and end all of popular music, even when they don't agree are starting to grate in some quarters.

I adore the Beatles but rarely get time to fit them in with the thousands of other wonderful bands/genres that have existed before, during and since the Fab Four.

And that is great. But they just didn't cut it for me. They struck me as a band desperately rooting around for ideas and, on the whole, failing to find them. They just started disappearing up their own fundaments. My loss, I'm sure.

Chris

I'm with you. I never really got them during my formative years (unlike the Beatles ;) and ignored.
My wife is hugely into them and I'm trying, I really am; I will begrudgingly give them more respect but it's just a bit....boring.
There's no swing or funk and I just find it fatiguing.

Reactions: MVJ

advertisement

Back