advertisement

The Beatles Sgt Pepper

We can argue all you like about what's the greatest Beatles record, but I'm sure we can all agree Floyd are 90% shite.

Once Syd had gone, yes. Even with him there, there was far too much noodling, but at least without Roger 'Laughing Boy' Waters' lyrics about how unfair it all is.

And that is great. But they just didn't cut it for me. They struck me as a band desperately rooting around for ideas and, on the whole, failing to find them. They just started disappearing up their own fundaments. My loss, I'm sure.

Chris

They didn’t cut it for you, just like Bowie does nothing for me.
My two close friends rave over ‘The Man who sold the World.’
It leaves me cold...

What's made the album great for me was Paul McCartney's bass lines. Absolute genius! Also love the lyrics for "She's Leaving Home."

Best album of all time? Not for me, but great nevertheless.

Yes it’s great but I don’t think it’s even the best Beatles album of all time. I like Rubber Soul and Revolver more.

Pet Sounds is my favourite from that era.

As mentioned in the thread by someone earlier, A Day In The Life is the standout though.

I think it's very good, but prefer Revolver.

I admire Pet Sounds, but it's not something I can say I enjoy a great deal. I'm not overenthusiastic about that sort of harmony singing. My problem.

I don't get Pet Sounds at all. Never a BB lover.
However, Sgt Pepper is one of those that everyone must have. Great mix of styles, I love 'When I'm 64"!

advertisement

Back