advertisement

The Beatles - Abbey Road

I've only wathch MMT stoned; which is no doubt why I thought it great at the time. I've really enjoyed watching Help - silly enough to enjoy but not so silly as to require self medication.

Abbey Road is without doubt my favouite Beatles album. Really coheasive, even including Maxwell's Silver Hammer and the Ringo track. Mind you, you really need to see the Thomas the Tank Engine series with Ringo narating - somehow aids in the appreciation of his contiribution to the Beatles recorded output...

Regards,

Stuart.

RE: Abbey Road

The first UK pressings of Abbey Road do not list "Her Majesty" on the label and also have the Apple logo misaligned on the back cover. Later copies "corrected" this. Value if "near mint" would be perhaps six to seven times what you paid.

PaulB said:
The first UK pressings of Abbey Road do not list "Her Majesty" on the label and also have the Apple logo misaligned on the back cover. Later copies "corrected" this. Value if "near mint" would be perhaps six to seven times what you paid.

According to the Record Collector Guide, UK first pressings have the Apple logo aligned to the Side 1 track listing on the rear sleeve, and "Her Majesty" isn't listed on the rear sleeve, but it is listed on the label. Catalogue no is PCS 7088. This makes mine a first pressing, and I never even knew (I've had it about 30 years).

-- Ian

The misaligned Apple logo is a variant of the first pressing (where it was aligned) hence its higher value. Why was this? I dunnow. Is the misaligned release earlier or not though? Both appear to be considered first pressings and probably "sound" the same if the matrix numbers are identical. The misaligned variant is apparently double the price of the "aligned" though.

After some research I found this:

First pressings have:
The standard dark green Apple label.
The label does NOT have "Sold in the U.K..." statement.
The inner sleeves are black (but can come in black or white inner sleeves, and without or with a credit for "Her Majesty".)

The misaligned variant is probably of interest only to those who collect very rare Beatles Lps but it is curious.

The standard dark green Apple label.

Check.

The label does NOT have "Sold in the U.K..." statement.

Check.

The inner sleeves are black (but can come in black or white inner sleeves, and without or with a credit for "Her Majesty".)

My inner is white, and original. The label lists "Her Majesty" but not the rear sleeve.

This site seems to have copies of all the variants of the first UK pressing, my variety seems to be the most common and cheapest:

http://www.beatlesales.com/html/ukabbeyroad.html

-- Ian

I'm completely confused. My label is green apple one side, white apple on the other, Mfd. in U.K. on left of label, don't understand what Her Majesty means and don't see it anywhere, misaligned apple on cover which is laminated, I threw away the inner sleeve a long time ago (replaced it with a Nagaoka)!

So, I've trashed its worth, if it had any, but I bought it to keep and play and it sounds like I have a good'un same as Ian has.

Paul

RJohan said:
I would argue that Beatles LP's is in the very limited category where you CAN listen through a whole album. At least from that time period (1960's). I can't do that with my Stones, Kinks or Small Faces ones as there is only a couple of songs on each worth listening to.
JohanR
So which Stones songs on which albums do you struggle with Johan?

Paul

Paul L said:
don't understand what Her Majesty means

It's the last (very brief) track on side 2. Although the LP would have been better ending with The End, clearly.

-- Ian

Got you, thanks Ian. HM is listed on neither cover nor label on mine. Oh what fun this is. Looks like dark green label too with smaller ring text. What gives this away and not mentioned on the variants page of that thread is that ther eis a larger gap between "Songs NCB" and "The Beatles" low down on the label, clearly visible on the variants page.

Paul

sideshowbob said:
I struggle with most of them, never thought much of the Stones.

-- Ian

Shame, Stones man me. '68 to '74 being my favourite era. Beggar's Banquet, Let it Bleed, Get yer Ya-Ya's Out, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street, Goat's Head Soup and Rock n' Rollin' Stones by which time I was only ten! Love 'em. Mind you, I thought Keef could play guitar until I first heard Blackmore.

Paul

Joe Hutch said:
The problem with Abbey Road is that is has 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer' and 'Octopuses Garden' on it.

[Note to self: check Mrs H's vinyl version of Abbey Road for possibly valuable typographical errors].

..and "Here Comes The Sun" and "Something" - This was the first album I owned, the xmas it came out -bought by an aunt - I must've been 9-10 at the time. . Swapped it for There's A Riot Goin On a couple of years later. Never regretted it. Did then swap "Riot" for 10 blank tapes which I've regretted ever since!

Still don't get The Beatles. A handful of good pop songs but nothing, for me, that comes near great. I know about their cultural significance which I can appreciate, as with Presley. Just don't think the music stands apart from that. As with Presley. I think the Beatles were just in the right place at the right time. A bit like Bowie in the 70s, but I think his music has lasted better.

Kevin

I understand that some of the white album were numbered (the first 10,000?) - or was this another one? Whatever the numbered one was, I have a mate who has got two, one that plays well - but the other is a very low number.

He's more into collecting the objects and memorising the tittle-tattle than playing the music. They are "worth" such stupid money it's unbelievable.

I played side 4 of the "Blue" compilation last night. Tings and shoot me abound.

sideshowbob said:
According to the Record Collector Guide, UK first pressings have the Apple logo aligned to the Side 1 track listing on the rear sleeve, and "Her Majesty" isn't listed on the rear sleeve, but it is listed on the label. Catalogue no is PCS 7088.
Mine matches all those criteria, but is "Made in France by Pathe Marconi".

advertisement

Back