advertisement

The Beatles - Abbey Road

Paul L said:
Completely avoiding tinging, my copy of Abbey Road is on the apple label and has YEX 749-2/YEX750-1 stamped in the lead-out grooves respectively. Knowing nothing about Beatles albums, what does that say about my copy, a standard re-press somewhere along the line? It sounds very good by the way.

Mrs H's vinyl copy has exactly those stamper numbers (or whatever the correct term is). Hers is a French pressing, which also sounds fine, though my French pressing of 'Beatles for Sale' sounds crap.

The problem with Abbey Road is that is has 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer' and 'Octopuses Garden' on it.
I like them. I didn't like OG at first - but always liked MSH and find it infectious. True, they're a bit jokey for the album as a whole, but then that was The Beatles for you; never ones to go for the obvious choices.

Getting back on tack, the MFSL "Abbey Road" is the most affordable of the MFSL Beatles' LPs, and it's well worth the twenty quid or so you'd have to pay to get one. Sadly, I've never heard an original pressing in anything less than 'well loved' condition, so can't really comment on how it compares to a mint, stamper #2387 or whatever...

John

Side 2 of Abbey Road remains one of my favorite albums of all time.
As the doctor said, "I concur!".

I think it's possibly the best single side of vinyl I've heard. I just love the way the last few songs build, and there's a really uplifting feel to it all...

I *love* "Abbey Road"... but then, I love almost anything Beatlesesque...

John

Am I the only person in the world who actually likes "Maxwell's silver hammer" (for the early moog sound amongst other things), "Octopus's garden" *and* "Don't pass me by" then???

Don't panic though - the only redeeming factors of "Yellow submarine" are Marianne Faithfull/Mick Jagger's champagne glass chinking sounds, and the ridiculously distorted "up periscope" bit - pure audio class... The rest of the song is unmitigated horseplops.

As for "Beatles for sale" - the reason it sounds crap is because it IS crap ;) (ducks quickly!). I've only heard it maybe 3 times and loathed it on each play...

"Abbey road" is one Beatles LP I *need* to own - I only have a crappy 80s digital master press of "Sgt Pepper" (a present - I'd have preferred "Revolver") and an early 80s unbarcoded bible-paper-thin pressing of "1967-70" - which STILL smokes the CD version - he he...

domfjbrown said:
Am I the only person in the world who actually likes "Maxwell's silver hammer" (for the early moog sound amongst other things), "Octopus's garden" *and* "Don't pass me by" then???

You and Ringo Starr.

domfjbrown said:
Don't panic though - the only redeeming factors of "Yellow submarine" are Marianne Faithfull/Mick Jagger's champagne glass chinking sounds, and the ridiculously distorted "up periscope" bit - pure audio class... The rest of the song is unmitigated horseplops.
There are NO redeeming features to any of Ringo's songs.

Who else loves The Beatles' films - those crazy guys just crack me up, with their zany humour.

Blzebub said:
those crazy guys just crack me up, with their zany humour.

I see the 'Turning Bub into a hipster' stratagem has started working, you at least manage to sound like a late '70ies American TV critic who tries hard to sound hip even though hip has passed him by a long time ago. Any day now, you'll enter the 80ies.

Anyway, yes, I do love the Beatles films, especially A Hard Day's Night.

Yeah, 'twas joking with a light sprinkling of sarcasm, and a tiny garnish of Eurotrashy-crazy-zaniness.

I agree with Cab Calloway: just skeep-beep de bop-bop beep bop bo-dope skeetle-at-de-op-de-day. Not too often, though, obviously.

-- Ian

Thanks for raising the tone Mike, I'll give your neighbourhood or TV influences a miss then shall I. :D

Paul

Agree with blezebub. Although you could make a great children's compilation of Ringo Songs Through The Ages.

The Beatles films were just "vehicles" to forward their stardom. Except for Magical Mystery Tour; that happens when you give 4 guys a bunch of acid and a movie budget. Good stuff.

Mind you I wasn't born until Wings, so I couln't possibly appreciate the...what's the word I'm looking for...zeitgeist of the time.

There's not a single Beatles album which I can play all the way through, they always spoiled them with 'filler' tracks, as pointed out above.

I would argue that Beatles LP's is in the very limited category where you CAN listen through a whole album. At least from that time period (1960's). I can't do that with my Stones, Kinks or Small Faces ones as there is only a couple of songs on each worth listening to.

OK, Ringosongs aren't my favourites either...

JohanR

Mike Sae said:
The Beatles films were just "vehicles" to forward their stardom. Except for Magical Mystery Tour; that happens when you give 4 guys a bunch of acid and a movie budget. Good stuff.

Phew - well even if it IS me who's the only one who likes "Don't pass me by", at least SOMEONE else appreciates "Magical Mystery Tour" :) The bit with the spaghetti is gross mind you...

"Yellow submarine" (movie) is pretty trippy too mind you.

advertisement

Back