advertisement

The Beatles - Abbey Road

Paul L

coffee lounge for me
Seems more appropriate here than Bub's audio thread.

Completely avoiding tinging, my copy of Abbey Road is on the apple label and has YEX 749-2/YEX750-1 stamped in the lead-out grooves respectively. Knowing nothing about Beatles albums, what does that say about my copy, a standard re-press somewhere along the line? It sounds very good by the way.

Paul

You're right of course Ian. Just one of those albums you play, absorb and forget about it in any technical sense. 'Something' is still my favourite, if ever there was a song I wish I had written...

Paul

Completely avoiding tinging, my copy of Abbey Road is on the apple label and has YEX 749-2/YEX750-1 stamped in the lead-out grooves respectively. Knowing nothing about Beatles albums, what does that say about my copy, a standard re-press somewhere along the line? It sounds very good by the way.

Glossy laminated sleeve? Sonds like a nice early one. On the rear of the sleeve if the Apple logo is not lined up / justified with the text it's worth a few bob. Sadly my copy is a late 70s or 80s US Capitol reissue and sounds pretty naff compared to my other Beatles stuff, so I assume it's a wrong 'un. I suspect I could do with a better copy.

Tony.

Tony L said:
Glossy laminated sleeve? Sonds like a nice early one. On the rear of the sleeve if the Apple logo is not lined up / justified with the text it's worth a few bob.

The problem with Abbey Road is that is has 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer' and 'Octopuses Garden' on it.

[Note to self: check Mrs H's vinyl version of Abbey Road for possibly valuable typographical errors].

Thanks Tony, the text 'Apple Records' basically starts underneath the apple just to the right of the core and so is not 'lined up / justified'.

I paid £15 for it a couple of years ago. I'm curious not in terms of value (although always interesting) but in terms of how good the pressing is. Sounds like I did okay.

Paul

YEX 749-2/YEX750-1 would indicate that Side A is the first re-cut and Side B is the original cut. Early 70s at the very latest. Very nice too.

There's not a single Beatles album which I can play all the way through, they always spoiled them with 'filler' tracks, as pointed out above.

Blzebub said:
There's not a single Beatles album which I can play all the way through, they always spoiled them with 'filler' tracks, as pointed out above.

'Hard Day's Night' hasn't got a duff track on it.

1. Hard Day's Night
2 I Should Have Known Better
3 If I Fell
4 I'm Happy Just to Dance With You
5 And I Love Her
6 Tell Me Why
7 Can't Buy Me Love
8 Any Time at All
9 I'll Cry Instead
10 Things We Said Today
11 When I Get Home
12 You Can't Do That
13 I'll be Back

Not a Ringo song in sight!

Joe Hutch said:
'Hard Day's Night' hasn't got a duff track on it.

Neither does Rubber Soul. And virtually all of Revolver is great too, apart from the obvious exception.

-- Ian

sideshowbob said:
Neither does Rubber Soul. And virtually all of Revolver is great too, apart from the obvious exception.

Rubber Soul has 'The Word'. I've always hated that song, ever since I got the LP for Christmas in 1965.

Blimey! I agree with sideshowbob about something.

This is probably my favourite album ever (along with Forever Changes). You can forgive the odd average track (I actually don't mind Octupus' Garden and Maxwells silver Hammer, though clearly they aren't great) when the rest of the album is as good as; Come together; Something; Medley; Here Comes the Sun and I want you.

So this album has 5 minutes of below par stuff and 30 minutes of the best music ever made, much preferable to 35 minutes of pretty good stuff in my book.

Yes, but all/most of their great songs are on the 'red', and the 'blue' greatest hits (which perplexingly contain examples of Ringo's songwriting skills) compilations. Perhaps I'm not enough of a purist.

There's loads of fantastic stuff that isn't on either the red or blue LPs. Like side 2 of Abbey Road, just for starters, and most of the more interesting bits of the White Album.

-- Ian

I had an extra-super fidelity virgin-vinyl Japanese pressing of Abbey Road that I played during the mid-80's solely for the purpose of wowing my mid-80's era friends as I showed off my mid-80's era Bang and Olufsen stereo system.

I'm feeling much better now.

(Abbey Road is still my favorite Beatles album, even though it doesn't have my favorite Beatles songs.)

Joe Hutch said:
Rubber Soul has 'The Word'. I've always hated that song, ever since I got the LP for Christmas in 1965.

I love that song.

Musically it has lots of interesting angles - the rhythm section is absolutely stunning;and in the treble section there's the Motown rhythm guitar and that crazy organ or whatever it is.

And just that silly upbeat on the piano at the start.

What I love about it too, is the song isn't over-produced. With maybe one or two extras upstage, this could have been how the Beatles rocked at their very best.

And then there's tart ironic lyrics like these:

"Now that I know what I feel must be right
"I'm here to show everybody the light."

I didn't love "The Word" right away, as it is obviously lacking in the sentimets a teenager wants to indulge in (as in "Michelle" or "You won't see me") but as time went on it became one of the richest Beatles songs for me.

advertisement

Back