advertisement

The (almost) bi-polar nature of Naim's products and customers . . .

Like any hobby I am involved in, I have met some good folks and some truly awful ones!!

However, I do own and have used Naim for a number of years and lets just say a few just a few Naim owners I have met over the years are a little more passionate than some other brand owners? :)

If truth be told, I can be a little precious over some of the Loudspeakers I have built? But who said passion was a bad thing. :)

So - true story - had a few local Naim guys come over once to listen to my system. Just part of the audiophile thing - visit other's places to hear to their systems.

Anyway - hard to describe - but these guys - totally hard core Naim 500 series system owners just started moving their heads in a very strange way when the music started.

It wasn't the toe-tapping thing - this was totally at a different level than that.

They would start with their heads tilted left, and then, in time with the music, move their heads to the right, slowly, and then accelerate, and then snap their neck quickly back. Few more years of this and they'll get arthritis of the neck.

Last time I'm inviting them over - or listening to their advice on Naim gear. :)

I made some good friends from riders evenings - going to other Naim owners places and listening to their kit. I was more interested in their music selections, and picked up some good recommendations.

It is supposed to be all about the music after all, isn’t it? (Oh and friendships, if that’s what you are after).

So - true story - had a few local Naim guys come over once to listen to my system. Just part of the audiophile thing - visit other's places to hear to their systems.

Anyway - hard to describe - but these guys - totally hard core Naim 500 series system owners just started moving their heads in a very strange way when the music started.

It wasn't the toe-tapping thing - this was totally at a different level than that.

They would start with their heads tilted left, and then, in time with the music, move their heads to the right, slowly, and then accelerate, and then snap their neck quickly back. Few more years of this and they'll get arthritis of the neck.

:)
Back in the sixties, Beat Groups would incorporate that sort of thing into their stage act.
Not for nothing was it called the swinging sixties.

I don’t necessarily think the tensions around Naim are related to the equipment. It’s good hifi.It’s probably the mystical marketing and mythology that was spread around as it grew.Marketing genius really. It is a fact that it has good sound, superb build, reliability and remarkable second hand values. It’s the mythology rather than the owners that needs to be the focus.Each to their own. If it gets owners to their music, that’s the real objective.

Last time I'm inviting them over - or listening to their advice on Naim gear. :)

that strange head movement is an involuntary movement caused by hearing a soundstage for the first time:D

"Isn’t it just head banging! A lot of Naim owners I know love their Naim for its portrayal with Rock music."

That's why I like Naim amplification!!

I don’t necessarily think the tensions around Naim are related to the equipment. It’s good hifi.It’s probably the mystical marketing and mythology that was spread around as it grew.Marketing genius really. It is a fact that it has good sound, superb build, reliability and remarkable second hand values. It’s the mythology rather than the owners that needs to be the focus.Each to their own. If it gets owners to their music, that’s the real objective.
So all these amplifiers (that have better sound for less money) and that don't need servicing every 10 years, what about their reliability and internal build?

The fact that you are stating that it's a fact that Naim has superb build and reliability, when in fact their track record of the product lasting a lifetime within original specs is relatively poor indicates that "superb build" and "reliability" is not good and anyone thinking that they are has been sucked in by the mystical marketing.

So all these amplifiers (that have better sound for less money) and that don't need servicing every 10 years, what about their reliability and internal build?

The fact that you are stating that it's a fact that Naim has superb build and reliability, when in fact their track record of the product lasting a lifetime within original specs is relatively poor indicates that "superb build" and "reliability" is not good and anyone thinking that they are has been sucked in by the mystical marketing.
No it doesn’t.

What amplifiers that have better sound for less money?
Start with the JVC AX series. Flatpopely here has voted with his feet, his was a 72/135 or similar, no slouch. He now has an AX 1010. The earlier models, say the AX3, can be got for tenners and FP for one says it's a match for or better than the low powered Naim gear all day long. There are many other brands that people prefer, Naim is quality equipment but it's far from being the only game in town.

Start with the JVC AX series. Flatpopely here has voted with his feet, his was a 72/135 or similar, no slouch. He now has an AX 1010. The earlier models, say the AX3, can be got for tenners and FP for one says it's a match for or better than the low powered Naim gear all day long. There are many other brands that people prefer, Naim is quality equipment but it's far from being the only game in town.

It was sarcasm :rolleyes:

Naim is quality equipment but it's far from being the only game in town.

Yes, and that should be the end of the thread, but it isn't and it won't be! To make matters worse, now we have yet another Naim thread; oh well, anything that increases the traffic of pfm has got to be a good thing I guess!

advertisement

Back