advertisement

The (almost) bi-polar nature of Naim's products and customers . . .

Interestingly, before I even bought my first Naim amp, I attended a demo of the newly launched NAC52 back in the late 80s. The elderly gentleman who bought it listened exclusively to classical music.

Wasn't there a guy (Peter Turner?) who wrote in HFR, that listened mostly (exclusively?) to classical music (might even have done the classical reviews?)? I seem to recall one of his columns about asking JV to secure him the very first production pair of SBLs? :eek:

(I may be misremembering, though... :oops:)

I think most would agree it has good sound. May not be your taste but for certain genres it is good.

I think the second point you make is the most valid to be honest, music is a very emotive and emotional thing for a lot of people, especially us audiophiles, so our hifi's are incredibly important to us. I don't like the sound of Naim equipment much, I find it far too forward and lacking in soundstage, but that is me. There are plenty of people who clearly do like Naim kit and there is nothing wrong with that, and as I have said before I admire their marketing strategies of the past from a business perspective.

I'm sure leaving the amps on 24/7 hastens the expiration of caps. If instead of leaving them on continuously, and switching on only for listening, those caps will last your lifetime (assuming 2-3 hours of listening a day).
I’d always thought that constant thermal cycling was one of the main factors in ageing electrical items?

maybe that's Naim's problem... they should just close the service department and tell everyone their amps don't need servicing!

Why would they want to do that when they have done such a fantastic job of convincing their user base via superb marketing that regular services are required? it's an easy revenue earner for not a lot of effort, and another example of their great business models.

True, but I’m supposed to enjoy being retired.

I suppose we could kill two birds with one stone and start a thread entitled,

“Do Naim mains cables make a difference?”

Or I could repot some tomatoes........

Why would they want to do that when they have done such a fantastic job of convincing their user base via superb marketing that regular services are required? it's an easy revenue earner for not a lot of effort, and another example of their great business models.

On a serious note though I am pretty sceptical when it comes to things like mains cables, super expensive interconnects and moving equipment about on different isolation platforms etc. so when I decided to have my Naim 135s serviced in 2018 it was after a lot of research and a good chat with Darran at Class A. I eventually reasoned that give their age it wouldn't be a bad thing from a safety perspective as much as anything so I did it. I figured the cost while high amortised over the lifetime of the amps was reasonable and would add some value to them of not as much as was being spent. Anyway when I got them back and ran them for a while I put on some CDs I listen to a lot and was genuinely taken aback that the sound was better, we're not talking night and day, but it was more controlled with tighter bass. It had made a difference. Whether it's worth the cost is a personal thing, but to know they are good for many more years and sound slightly better was good enough for me. Others may feel differently of course.

True, but I’m supposed to enjoy being retired.

I suppose we could kill two birds with one stone and start a thread entitled,

“Do Naim mains cables make a difference?”

Or I could repot some tomatoes........

Don't forget to add something about Fuses in there, then we could have a multiple hundred post thread to keep us all amused ;)

On a serious note though I am pretty sceptical when it comes to things like mains cables, super expensive interconnects and moving equipment about on different isolation platforms etc. so when I decided to have my Naim 135s serviced in 2018 it was after a lot of research and a good chat with Darran at Class A. I eventually reasoned that give their age it wouldn't be a bad thing from a safety perspective as much as anything so I did it. I figured the cost while high amortised over the lifetime of the amps was reasonable and would add some value to them of not as much as was being spent. Anyway when I got them back and ran them for a while I put on some CDs I listen to a lot and was genuinely taken aback that the sound was better, we're not talking night and day, but it was more controlled with tighter bass. It had made a difference. Whether it's worth the cost is a personal thing, but to know they are good for many more years and sound slightly better was good enough for me. Others may feel differently of course.

I don't doubt for a minute there is an improvement when kit is serviced. Although it is difficult to tell because aural memory is so short.

More diatribe required.
OK, workin' on it.

Errr, what makes Naim the best HiFi manufacturer in the World, easily outclassing anything else - top 4 reasons?

That should help re-engage the haters. Best I could do at such short notice.

advertisement

Back